Texas Gulf Coast beaches

cindy1576

Greenie
Feb 5, 2008
Was thinking about hunting a few beaches this spring, probably sometime after spring break. Was just wondering if anyone has hunted beaches along the Texas gulf, or knows if you CAN hunt them? Places I am interested in are Rockport/ Fulton, Corpus Christi, Mustang Island and Port Aransas. I am kinda iffy about Mustang island b/c I "think" it is listed as a State Park ( although I know it would be a goooood hunt) ..... The others I think you can....... I also thought after spring break would be a good time to search for things lost by the beach revelers :-) (hint hint)

( I don't mind sharing a few hints here and there, friendly competition can be a good thing :-) )

Thanks

Crazy Greek

Nov 12, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident
Cindy.....you can hunt Padre, but only in certain sections. If you go onto Padre at Corpus Christi, go to the Bob Hall Pier area and check in with the reception center there. They will be glad to tell you where you can detect. You will have to go into Kleberg County (at Bob Hall Pier, go to the right right down the beach) and you will have to go about 3 or 4 miles (they can tell you the marker to look for). Once there, you can legally use your detector. Also, you can't stop your vehicle in the Nueces County area of Padre unless you have a permit, which you can purchase at the reception area. However, once you are in the Kleberg County area, you can stop, camp or do whatever.

I have to tell ya though, the area you are going to be able to detect is not all that big. Just a short ways down the beach, you cannot drive any further due to it becoming a National Seashore.

Also, be very careful if you do drive the beach. Instead of trying to stay in the tracks of other vehicles, I suggest that you drive as close to the water as possible. The sand is packed and wet in that area. (Just watch out for the swimmers and fishermen) The sand is very loose and it's really easy to get stuck (in the area most traveled...the ruts) and if you do, you will just have to hope for a friendly person to come along and pull you out, since there are no beach services in that area.

Sorry I don't know that much about Rockport/Fulton or Port Aransas areas.....yet. I've been planning on trying to get into some of those areas myself one of these days.

For my money, I would try to find out something about the Rockport/Fulton or Port A areas.......there just isn't that much in the Padre area......unless of course you are talking about going to South Padre down by the Mexican border.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

cindy1576

Greenie
Feb 5, 2008
Thanks for the tips, I am sure they will help! I have seen people using metal detectors at the beach in Rockport...... But I just wanted to know if it was actually allowed. I didnt even think to ask when I was down there b/c this was before I got into metal detecting.

Thanks again, and happy hunting.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Don't forget Too!
That in certain areas, close to the water's edge
There are pockets of QUICK SAND! :o

Especially on The National Seashore area
I've seen a few car/trucks "go down" because of them! :-\

TheBigBeanTx

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2008
Hello,
I bought a map at circle K convenience store ( now called stripes ) its called A Travel Adventure Map of Padre & Mustang Islands. It gives you great detail about the ship wrecks along Padre and South Padre Island and where coins have been found along the beach as well as local stories.

I live about an hour away from South Padre Island and I just ordered my first detector and I also plan to hit the island after spring/easter break.

Good luck to you!

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
TheBigBeanTx said:
Hello,
I bought a map at circle K convenience store ( now called stripes ) its called A Travel Adventure Map of Padre & Mustang Islands. It gives you great detail about the ship wrecks along Padre and South Padre Island and where coins have been found along the beach as well as local stories.

I live about an hour away from South Padre Island and I just ordered my first detector and I also plan to hit the island after spring/easter break.

Good luck to you!

Is there a place I can buy one of these maps online? I am planning on going down to the beaches in Brownsville in July. I would like to do some research on the area.
Also I am not familiar with this area. Is it a "safe" place to hunt in the evenings? I will have my 5 yr old hunting with me.

TheBigBeanTx

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2008
I don't know if you can get this map online? Its published by TexMaps (po box 3027 Corpus Christi 78463)
There are over 140 Stripes convenience stores in the Rio Grande Valley with five of them on The Island itself I'm sure that they still might have this map in there map section. ( I bought mind over a year ago ) You can always google or check the HANDBOOK OF TEXAS ONLINE site for more info.
When you say that your are going to the beaches of Brownsville did you mean South Padre Island? cause there are no beaches in Brownsville, there are lakes and rivers and resacas ( diversions of flood waters from the rivers )
As far as it being safe if you mean South Padre Island I would say yes, but remember it is a tourist area and it will be heavily populated during spring/easter break.

Dennis

TheBigBeanTx

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2008
Sorry about the wrong info I gave you about the beaches in Brownsville.
There are beaches in Brownsville that you can see from South Padre Island that stretch south but you can't access them from the island you have to head to the Brownsville ship channel or some other access point. Ive been to the ship channel and headed to the north jetties ( to fish ) which are south of the SPI jettie. According to my map there two Ship Wreck one pass the rio grande in Mexico " S J LEE 1873 $100,000 on board and on the U.S. side "Columbia" 1931 $1,000,000 + on board.

Dennis

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Okay, after checking further into where we are staying, we will be at the Fort Brown Condos. This is what it says about the place. "Fort Brown Condoshares is located at the tip of Texas in the semitropical Rio Grande Valley of Texas, just a short distance from the Mexican border. Swim in the resort's heated outdoor pool or relax in the on-site whirlpool. Popular beaches of South Padre Island are just 23 miles away providing an array of aquatic activities from deep sea fishing to scuba diving. The resort is situated on the grounds of the historic battlefield of the Mexican-American War. Rich in history, Brownsville offers many sights from the battlefield to the famous Gladys Porter Zoo. "
I guess the beaches nearby are the Boca Chica Beach, Port Isabel, South Padre Island. Have you ever tried any of these or which ones would be a good place to search. I don't want to get in any trouble searching the wrong beach, especially since I will have my 5 yr. old son with me.
Thanks for your help.

slingchine

Sep 22, 2006
Logan County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig
Cindy,
I have been on the beach with metal detectors several times at South Padre. Its better if you go North up the beach from all of the condos/hotels. But as someone else said be sure not to drive on the dry sand....you will sink down and get stuck (unless you have big wide tires on your vehicle. If you do .... there will probably be a couple of big tire vehicles around watching and waiting for you to do that....they will be glad to pull you out for somewhere between $20 and $75 dollars. They sometimes bargain with you as thats how some of the locals make extra money in their spare time. You might also run into a "pirate" or two ( they call themselves full time beach combers) these people will have tents or structures of some kind permanently erected on the beach somewhere. Every so often they will move to a different spot so the national park service doesnt say something about permanent residence. I have asked the Park service about regulations (quite some time ago -- 15-20 years ago) At that time there were no restrictions except for the resort owners areas.... but like I say that was a long time ago.... sounds like your map of old wrecks, etc. may be useful if the info is factual. My hunting there was fairly productive but not extensive enough. One day I will go back and search for that illusive special one that I know was quite near. Be sure to take protection with you especially with the child along. The beach gets very isolated the further you go from the populated areas so you want to be sure and take plenty of supplies and life safety items. Be sure to be aware of tide action and accessibility. Also be VERY careful crossing over into Matamores (Old Mexico areas) The border towns are not all that safe after dark. Not trying to scare you off but just be careful and have lots of fun. Good Luck and I will be watching to see what finds you post......Awright then......ummm..hmmm

ecastro111

Oct 23, 2006
Rio Grande Valley
Detector(s) used
Garret Infinium/Fisher CZ7a
acedigger said:
I guess the beaches nearby are the Boca Chica Beach, Port Isabel, South Padre Island. Have you ever tried any of these or which ones would be a good place to search. I don't want to get in any trouble searching the wrong beach, especially since I will have my 5 yr. old son with me.
Thanks for your help.

Hi Fellas,

Brownsville is the oldest town in the Southern Texas and full of potential metal detecting sites. You may find a lot of info by going to the Texas Atlas site http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/. The beaches that would be best for MD'ing are Boca Chica Beach and South Padre Island. To access Boca Chica Beach which is the Brownsville's beach area and rich with history, you take Boca Chica Blvd (becomes HWY 4). On the way to the beach you will see the site of the last battle of the Civil War (Palmitto Hill - Reds won). It used to be a military camp site during the Mexican American War with Gen. Zachary Taylor in command and also during the Civil War, to control commerce on the Rio Grande River (it use to be deep before all the dams). The list goes on in regards to local history.

South Padre Island is a resort area since the early 1800's accessible by Hwy 100. You will find mostly modern clad and possibly a ring or two. You'll most likely find more but modern finds. There are ship wreck sites all along both beaches and who knows, you may find a Spanish coin or old American coinage. Port Isabel has lot of history, too but all the good metal detecting sites have been built on.

Good luck and don't forget to post your finds! :D

Ernie

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
ecastro111 said:
acedigger said:
Thanks for your help.

Hi Fellas,

Brownsville is the oldest town in the Southern Texas and full of potential metal detecting sites. You may find a lot of info by going to the Texas Atlas site http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/. The beaches that would be best for MD'ing are Boca Chica Beach and South Padre Island. To access Boca Chica Beach which is the Brownsville's beach area and rich with history, you take Boca Chica Blvd (becomes HWY 4). On the way to the beach you will see the site of the last battle of the Civil War (Palmitto Hill - Reds won). It used to be a military camp site during the Mexican American War with Gen. Zachary Taylor in command and also during the Civil War, to control commerce on the Rio Grande River (it use to be deep before all the dams). The list goes on in regards to local history.

South Padre Island is a resort area since the early 1800's accessible by Hwy 100. You will find mostly modern clad and possibly a ring or two. You'll most likely find more but modern finds. There are ship wreck sites all along both beaches and who knows, you may find a Spanish coin or old American coinage. Port Isabel has lot of history, too but all the good metal detecting sites have been built on.

Good luck and don't forget to post your finds! :D

Ernie

Thanks for the info. I am going there on vacation in July and hopefully I can get out and detect. I am planning on researching the areas you talked about.

Thanks again for your help.

Josh

jlv956

Jan 24, 2007
Brownsville Texas
Detector(s) used
DetectorPro head hunter pulse
If you are going to south padre I suggest not buying the stripes treasure map. Instead check out the local museum and definitely go to the Rio Bravo Gallery , it is owned and operated by Rod Bates , he is the most knowledgeable historian around the SPI , port Isabel area. Also, check out the museum/ book shop owned by steve hathcock on SPI . It is located by on the beach surf shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread