Looking For Some Fellow Hunters

Ol' Goat

Sep 5, 2012
Petersburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (yeah, I know, just starting out)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Petersburg, I'm game. Cell is 898-1637.

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys all live in a very historical area. Your biggest challenge is convincing the landowners and property owners that you are responsible and dedicated to the preservation of historical artifacts. Be open and honest and be willing to show and sometimes share your finds with the landowners. Be willing to sign any liability forms so the landowner feels covered (though these will no hold up in Virginia Supreme Courts due to a 1890 ruling in Fairfax County) It still makes them feel better. I know that some of you are not familiar with the area, but as a lifelong Virginian (my family came of in 1650), I am telling you that any field in Petersburg, Mechanicsville, and Chesterfield will have Civil War relics in them. Maybe not a lot because of the amount of metal detecting that has taken place since the late 1960's, but the newer machines are getting better depths so anything is possible. Being from the same area as each of you and metal detecting for 15 years, most relic hunters are a secretive bunch and unwilling to network and meet new people outside of their small groups. Just the way things are. You can see from all the post asking to hook up or asking other relic hunters from the area to chime in and meet. It is almost a 99% failure rate. Knock on doors, network the community, and talk to people in church especially the older members. These are just a few examples that I have had success with. Just remember be open and honest! Good Luck!

Wes-N-VA
Mid Atlantic Relic & Coin Hunters (Facebook us)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I have hunted in several spots all around where you are discussing. I am sorry but they were spots friends took me too hence I cannot tell you where they are. Your in an area ripe with history, so it shouldn't be hard for you to discover people that aren't so territorial about protecting their supposedly secret spots. Try chatting to some of the local detector dealers, perhaps they might be able to put you in touch with others willing to help you all out with some areas. I'm not sure of any clubs up there as I am in Chesapeake, but I'm sure there might be one, that would be a good try.

Search online for old maps, then try and transpose them to new maps and knock on doors. There is a vast amount of knowledge on this forum for your use.

Best of luck guys.

mlittle

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2014
Chester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the area, so if anyone is willing/wanting to get together let me know.

Va Dan

Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its about the same in abingdon va the land owners think cause u are asking to look around they think u are going to find a pot of gold in the yard an say no i was thinking of doing that my self ... BS or they act like how dare u come to the door there rich they dont let guys dig in there yard . BUT I ASK ANY ONE i get a lot of farm fields just bye stoping an asking if i can hunt the field an latter they say try up bye the house or ask them if they know some one that wouldent mind u hunting in there fields an get the number an name an thank them for there time

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see if anyone's still watching this post. Looks like the Virginia post have been mighty slow lately. I'm in Bracey, VA, just across the NC/VA state line on I-85. Iv'e been down for almost a year with a broken back but am really looking forward to the coming warmer weather to get back on the hunt. I get a new knee in two weeks( I'm going to post it on "New Finds" titanium knee joint found in Bracey) so by the time April weather gets here, I'm ready. I'm an hour from Richmond and retired if anyone wants to get together and do some searching.

F70Fisher

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2020
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have any good permissions to go to? I am a member of a Club here in Martinsville. We are willing to travel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread