Old Painless

Mar 25, 2017
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
MD-3010II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals,

I just moved up to NoVA a year ago and just settling down in Loudoun County. I'm new to MDing and just looking for a few pointers, guidance and friends. I'm a realist, I'm not looking for big treasures but some cool old relics to show the grand kids one day.

I've done some research and with so much history up here it's depressing how many places you CANT go. I'd like to try the Potomac river banks and Private farms but really don't want to overstep my boundaries or waist my time.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to make a few new friends as well, and get out of the house on my days off. FYI...I'm also I huge Predator (the movie) fan.

Thanks all.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! There's a lot of history up there and a ton of growth and private property. I have some family left in Loudoun County most have moved away due to the expanding population. I grew up there in the mid 60s through early 70s and there is a lot of change. So much of what was once open and searchable land has been covered over with homes, businesses or roads. The private property is probably hard to access but it is just find the right ones at the proper time. As for hunting buddies. I know on other threads under the other Virginia section there are some listings of people and where they are from. There were some listed in the last few months from Manassas and Winchester looking for people to hunt with and not sure if anyone closer to you. I believe it is one noting a bout starting a roster. Check the last page or two that has 2016 and 2017 responses and send those close a shout out to see if they are still looking to hunt. May have to Private message if no response but at least you can see if there are others. As for in that area, just keep researching and check the laws for hunting in parks, etc. to see how they are listed and even check some out to see if there others hunting. As for being a Predator fan, under stand "Old Painless", Jesse Ventura made me want one of those guns for my collection. Good Luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... it's depressing how many places you CANT go.....

Curious what "research" you're doing that you think says you are forbidden from so many places ? I mean, like are you seeing actual rules/laws that say "no metal detecting" ? Or are you worried about wording you've found about "alter" "deface" or "dig" or "take/remove" or something along those lines ? Or are you referring to "no's" you fetched by asking officials/bureaucrats "can I metal detect?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread