Any HOT spots in Northern Virginia?

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I just emailed you 23 links to area civil war history, maps, diaries tc. I found them quite useful. I sent you a bunch but only a small part of what I accumulated before moving here. It's a good time to do your research for spring. I found some sweet spots researching these materials.

HH

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Tin Nugget, could you sent me send me a copy also. Currently, I'm trying to get some training on the Minelab SE for coins and relics and the GPX-4000 for gold. I live in Fairfax County. (P.S. I know where the gold is located in Virginia since I've been there). Thanks, RuffandTuff

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Hey Tin Nugget, nice flight shot. I am new to detecting but lived in VA about 13 yr. I am a retired military service member. I have less than 30 hours detecting, just a couple of hours on Sundays. I live in Williamsburg, so you can imagine the limited places. Any suggestions, or maybe a copy of the links? I am not apposed to traveling a few hours. Thanks for any help

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
HI Guys:

Former resident of Winchester, Virginia here. Used to hear some stories of loot stashed by Mosby's Rangers which as you may know operated in the area. He Colonel Mosby did such a great job the area that he opperated in was known as "Mosby's Confederacy". The only reason that I mention it is that several of my ancestors served with him and as far as I can see...they are just stories.

Here is a story of something I have seen though briefly...hope you like it.

The Copper Scroll (3Q15)

"In the fortress which is in the Vale of Achor, forty cubits under the steps entering to the east: a money chest and it [sic] contents, of a weight of seventeen talents." So begins the first column of the Copper Scroll, one of the most intriguing, and baffling, scrolls to be found among the collection known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Sounding like something out of an Indiana Jones movie, the text of the Copper Scroll (3Q15) describes vast amounts of buried treasure.
Click the image to view an enhanced version.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was found in 1952 in Cave 3 at Khirbet Qumran on the shores of the Dead Sea, one of the few scrolls to be discovered in the place where it had lain for nearly 2,000 years. Most of what are called the "Dead Sea Scrolls" were found by Bedouin and sold through antiquities dealers, but this one was actually discovered by archaeologists--a rare occasion during those years. In ancient times the text of the document had been incised on thin sheets of copper which were then joined together. At the time it was found, however, the document was rolled into two separate scrolls of heavily oxidized copper which was far too brittle to unroll. For five years scholars and experts discussed ways of opening the scroll. Finally, they decided to cut the scroll into sections from the outside using a small saw. Working very carefully they cut the scroll into 23 strips, each one curved into a half-cylinder. Before it was cut, one scholar thought he saw words for silver and gold and suggested that the scroll was a list of buried treasure. Sure enough, when it was deciphered that scholar turned out to be right!

What about all that treasure? What is it? Has anyone found it? The answer to the last question is, no, at least that they are telling.

The treasure described in the Copper Scroll consists of vast quantities of gold and silver, as well as many coins and vessels. It is difficult to assess the value of what is described, since we are not sure what the weights in the scroll are actually equivalent to, but it was estimated in 1960 that the total would top $1,000,000 U.S.

With this great treasure list, you may ask, why isn't everyone out looking for the treasure? (And why hasn't Stephen Spielberg made a movie out of it?) The truth is, some people are looking for it, but it is not all that easy. To begin with, we do not know what all the words in the text mean. The text is in Hebrew, which is certainly a known language, but most ancient Hebrew texts that we have are religious in nature, and the Copper Scroll is anything but religious. Most of its vocabulary is simply not found in the Bible or anything else we have from ancient times.

Not only is the vocabulary of the scroll very technical, some of the geographical locations are unknown after so many years, many are too specific and some refer to places that no longer exist. Take some of the following examples:

"In the gutter which is in the bottom of the (rain-water) tank..."

"In the Second Enclosure, in the underground passage that looks east..."

"In the water conduit of [...] the north[ern] reservoir..."

There are those who have suggested that the treasure never actually existed, that the Copper Scroll is simply a work of fiction. Even if the treasure did exist, we do not know where it came from or who it belonged to. Some believe the scrolls refer to Temple treasure, hidden for safekeeping before the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple in 70 C.E. Others believe the treasure belonged to the sect that lived at Qumran, a sect usually identified with the Essenes, a Jewish group mentioned in the work of the Jewish historian Josephus, who wrote in the 1st century C.E. However, these are just educated guesses. Who the treasure belonged to, and what happened to it, we may never know.

Tic2305

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Tin Nugget said:
I just emailed you 23 links to area civil war history, maps, diaries tc. I found them quite useful. I sent you a bunch but only a small part of what I accumulated before moving here. It's a good time to do your research for spring. I found some sweet spots researching these materials.

HH

Anyway I could get a copy of those links? I appreciate it.

meadows15

Greenie
Aug 23, 2011
Winchester,Va
Detector(s) used
Radio shack discovery 1000
I am new to metal detecting also. I dug out my old radio shack discovery 1000 to get me started again..from Winchester,va looking for spots also..

kim j

Nov 27, 2012
Woodbridge,VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab GPX4800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like a copy too...I'm in Prince William County

rechilcot

Jan 3, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Dario MD-3006SS VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a newbie here. I have been in the area for thirty years, but never detected anywhere. I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. I live in Prince William County.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to know what the buzz is about. Please forward it to me too.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am at Fort Belvoir. I would love those links if you could send them. If anyone wants to metal detect, let me know.

Dcndc

Dec 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting started and would like a copy of them as well. For detecting and the historical value. Thanks in advance!!

DC

rwbbts

Greenie
Dec 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the old gold mine site behind the K mart on Dale Blvd off 95S would be a good place to metal detect.
I've been there once and found some old foundations, Neabsco Creek gold mine.
Found some old machinery parts, had the grandkids with me so wasn't ablr to really look
38 37'16.60N 77 17'52.88W

rwbbts

Greenie
Dec 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airborne,

There is an old gold mine location on Neabsco creek behind the K Mart on Dale Blvd. off 95 south in Dale City
found lots of interesting stuff, not treasure yet , but looking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions