Metal Detecting State Parks in Wisconsin *****BEWARE****

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

seger98

That's horse crap. DNR owns everything in Wisconsin now & now they want you to turn over things found that's not personal property that you are looking for? I'd bury it right back & leave it there.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BULL$HIT! ok,you apply for the permit,will they be watching you every minute to see what you've found?

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / Tesoro Vaquero
I thought this was supposed to be a free country!! I'm beggining to wonder why I live in Wisconsin and why I spent $1,500.00 on my new E-Trac if I can't use it anywhere in the area that I live in! We need to do something about this SOON and let our voices be heard on how wrong this new law is or our beloved hobby is in serious trouble. It looks to me like we're on the endangered species list and about to go extinct. Now is the time to band together and do something about this , but what can we do??? Anyone have any suggestions?? :icon_scratch: CoinShooter-Craig

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / Tesoro Vaquero
I don't understand why metal detecting is viewed as such a bad thing by certain entities (DNR). I know that in the past some people didn't fill their holes in and left the trash that they dug up on the ground next to the hole they dug it up from. I think today that there are few people that still practice such poor judgement and most of us follow the treasure hunters "Code of Ethics". Why can't the DNR see the good things that we do , like cleaning up junk from parks and removing possibly dangerous items from the beaches and swimming areas. Some of us even go to great lengths to return class rings and other jewelry that the owner can be identified from. We also try to leave the area in better shape than we found it. Yet we are loosing more and more areas to detect in all the time. Before you know it we'll just be able to detect in our own yards ( granted I have an old house and have found many old coins in my yard - but it sure is nice having many different places to detect! ). I just don't want to see us loose our right to enjoy our great pastime of treasure hunting / metal detecting. Sincerely , Coin-Shooter-Craig

coinguy1972

Mar 20, 2008
Hayward WI
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se
This law is garbage and as far as Im concerned the DNR can kiss my big toe!! All they want is another way to controll us. We need to stand up and fight this!! Before you know it you will need a pemit to detect in your own back yard. Are they afraid that somone is getting rich???

OP
OP
lockman209

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our Club belongs to the FMDAC and they are working on this issue. They also need our help too. The more members that join our club the better we will be as a group to fight this head on. If you would like to join contact myself.

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just crazy = "Archaeological materials (50 years old and older) may not be removed from their locations."

Archaeological, 50 years? 50? I realize that the term archaeological doesn't depict a time period persay, however it has been used for decades in meaning items that are much, much older then 50 years...
I think they've lost their minds

But, that's not the point. The point is, what if someone does detect somewhere "off limits"? They don't say anywhere that I saw on their site, what the consequences would be, or where "exactly" it is off limits.
Also, if I hadn't come here and read this, how would I have known? Is this going to be another one of their (of "they them") laws that no one knows, but faces tickets and or fines, without knowing all the facts? (such as the zillions of other laws that so many don't know about)

And, how do we know which is deq (or dnr) land and water ways, and not state or county public land?
Forgive my ignorance, but I just moved up to WI from MI, where in MI everything is so convoluted about who owns what and who has the right away to what...so I wonder if WI is a little more organized, or better about most dnr issues (except for the not detecting part)

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
As you fellow Wisconsin folks know, if its fun its illegal in Wisconsin!. I just ordered the new Detector pro pistol probe and I know the first cop that sees that thing in the holster on my side will sight me for disorderly conduct!.The gestapo tactics of all Wisconsin law enforcement SUCKS!. I guess we can all become nightstalkers like those MDing guys in the UK!. Night vision goggles and all!. big goggles.jpg

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever lived in MI? That's where you have to watch that you're not cited or ticked for just "being human"

That's where their court houses look like the Parthenon in it's hay day, all marble throughout, beautiful Mahogany woodwork everywhere...and guess who pays for it? Anyone that's breathing their air

The first time I brought a friend up here to WI from MI, they saw a cop "helping" someone by the side of the road. It took my friend several hours to come out of their shock.

I might just have to get more involved, because I LOVE WI and don't wanna ever see it turn as sour as MI

Scully

Jun 19, 2007
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
You want to do something about it????

I am the president of the Four Lakes Metal Detector club in Madison, WI. We are currently fighting the DNR on this very issue. I hope this email string gets you riled because the future of this hobby is in jeopardy, at least here in Wisconsin. We have hired a lobbyist and are drafting a bill against their current policy, and if you really want to help, donate money to the cause because lobbyists are expensive! We have already paid over $3000 and it will climb before this is finished. The FMDAC is working with us and has donated money to the cause. So has the Mid State club in Stevens Point, the Milwaukee club, and Outdoor Outfitters. We have also gotten $100 contributions from members. Lots of dealers and some of the detector manufacturers have contributed funds or machines to raffled off for the cause.

Our lobbyist is currently drafting a bill and when it comes time to she will request our presence in front of the legislative body. We are planning on bringing buckets of all the trash we find to show the lawmakers exactly what we do. Up to this point the DNR has never been challenged, passing bills and creating policy without having to answer to anyone. Well, we are taking them to task. If you would like to help, the best way right now is in contributions so that we can continue to employ the lobbyist that is convinced we have a very strong case. We may not get every wish but we should be able to get a compromise that is comfortable with all of us. We need to together on this and show them the strength we have in numbers. If you would care to help, contact me via email at [email protected]. Thanks everyone.

Gene Scullion
President, Four Lakes Metal Detector Club
Madison, WI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread