Anyone Hunt Rivers or Lakes ?

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Hello everyone! I live in Wisconsin and am wondering if anyone lives up here that has experience and plan to do some river or lake detecting this summer. I have snorkel gear. I have never learned to dive but would like to someday. I have NO experience MDing in water. I do have an updated AT Pro so I can, theoretically, be submerged to a point. I am young, healthy, and a happy guy unless something goes wrong with my coffee maker in the morning! I live almost an hour north of Milwaukee so days, afternoons work if you are close by or weekends if I have to drive. If you live close enough to partake, I will be grilling the brats and chicken at my house after a day on the water. If not, I will buy the beer :icon_thumleft:
-Eric

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of good stuff to find in lakes and rivers. You won't need to snorkel though. The best spots are where people would cross the rivers or swim beaches on the lakes. Most of the goodies will be wading depth and shallower.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be willing to go out with you when the water warms up.
Send an E-Mail and we can try to get together.
I dig up mostly other peoples trash and Pieces of led;
It helps clean up the environment.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the DNR ruling change?

It made it illegal to MD in any water, river or lake.

OP
OP
F

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
As I understand it, it is only the waterways controlled by the DNR. I dont think that applies to private lakes. Additionally, I do not know if anyone is doing work with the DNR, etc with a permit. Just fishing- you never know what pops up Bum!

logger1

Apr 19, 2009
The way I understand the rule is, if your standing in water its controlled by the dnr, maybe private lakes are different. As for creeks/streams and rivers I think there all controlled by dnr, they want you to get a mining permit from them just to pan for gold in creeks. Just from what I was told, maybe wrong as there rules seem different depending on who you talk to.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, it is only the waterways controlled by the DNR. I dont think that applies to private lakes. Additionally, I do not know if anyone is doing work with the DNR, etc with a permit. Just fishing- you never know what pops up Bum!

DNR controls ALL water, except your bathtub (coming soon in an administrative ruling).

ALL water, even private field ponds.

The only permit you can get is for searching for a specific item you lost.

skywalker827

Apr 17, 2014
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong, but my understanding of that rule was anything within state parks. Or within land such as public hunting type areas. Not local waters, like city beaches and water ways.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if anyone has experiences, running into a problem With the DNR while MD in shallow water in Wisconsin? (Other than State Parks of course)
If so, please share!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is what I do...and heres the straight scoop...

" ANY navigable waterway"...that means WI DNR has jurisdiction of just a tad over 99% of ALL WI waters. Get a permit ..FOR THE SPECIFIC ITEM YOU LOST.

If you don't....they WILL cite you, and impound your gear, your boat, your vehicle...it's a nightmare. Do NOT take the chance. Enter the water with a MD..and no proper permit..may as well go to Ho-chunk....the odds are better.

Bubs

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many "specific item" permits have been sought out and issued by the WI DNR over the course of a year?

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many "specific item" permits have been sought out and issued by the WI DNR over the course of a year?

Likely nobody gets a permit, several on here hunt lakes and rivers but always where the city or county beach is, kind of a vague loop hole if you will?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread