Wisconsin ??

Whitetail

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
WISCONSIN
I found this spot today on google earth and thought it was a little strange. It doesn't appear to be a lake or any other body of water. I checked it out with a wisconsin gazetteer and it doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. It looks like it may be part of a state forest in a fairly remote area. If anyone has any ideas I'd definately be interested in hearing them. I'm kind of new at posting here but ive been reading and learning here for awhile. Thanks

Jason

Attachments

• g earth image.jpg
    g earth image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 896
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 899
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 860

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
What area of Wisconsin is it in? A zoomed out view would help. Could be the edge of a glacier path and the odd shaped areas (dry lakes) could be scour and till from when the glacier came through....way back when. Try zooming the map out a bit, then overlay with a glacial map and see if anything matches up.

OP
OP
W

Whitetail

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
WISCONSIN
Its located in Lincoln County just north of Merrill and west of the Wisconsin River. I looked at some glacial maps as you suggested and the glaciers definitely went through this area but that's all I really could find out from them. Here's a photo of the same spot from msn live search.

Attachments

• live search PIC.jpg
    live search PIC.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 847

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Right now I am thinking its an old quarry...will find out ...Will be in this area a couple days so will go look ...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
About 6 inches in Wausau....10 in Price County ....it was 17 below wind chill last night.......
Is snowing now....suppose to get a little chilly this afternoon and rest of week..... :D

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Kames, Kettles, Drumlins, Moraines and Eskers. That's all I remember from Geology of Wisconsin 101, and I'm surprised I remember that much! My wife is surprised I remember anything at all. Elkhart Lake is the center of the Universe, THAT, I remember!

Tourezrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread