Need Help.....Port Ulao, Wi, Ozaukee county.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 2 hours searching for this.....any help would be amazing.....i would like to find the tavern....and where the actual place the logs were at.....

Just to the east of Ulao, on the shore of Lake Michigan, is the ghost town of Port Ulao. Port Ulao was founded in 1847 by James T. Gifford, an investor from Elgin, Illinois. In this area Gifford began a business of selling cords of wood to steamships heading down the lake. He built a 1000 foot wooden pier into the lake for ships to dock. He then constructed a chute down the side of a steep bluff to transport logs which farmers in the area produced while cutting down the local forests in order to create farmland
Port Ulao in Ozaukee County is an abandoned place with many roots in the historical past. James T. Gifford came here in 1847 to build a lake port on the site of what had been an Indian village. He hired land surveyors Luther Guiteau and J. Wilson Guiteau to plat about fifty acres into streets and lots. He built a 1000 foot pier into the lake for loading cordwood onto ships. The first Macadam road in the country (a mixture of charcoal and clay) was built to the site. As wood was cut while clearing the farmlands of the surrounding countryside, it was hauled to Port Ulao by horse and wagon and sold to the Lake ships for fuel. Port Ulao was the major hub for shipping in Ozaukee in the mid-1800s.

Eventually, a fishing station was added to the pier where fishing boats docked to clean and smoke their fish. By 1853, Daniel Wells and John Howe took over operations at Port Ulao, but it soon declined as the Lake steam ships stopped using wood for fuel.

Today the landscape and landmarks look much different. Lake Michigan has eroded the cliffs and shoreline and only a few pilings of the pier remain. In the mid-1880s west of the Port Ulao Village, near what was known as Ulao Station on the Chicago and North Western Railroad, there was a feed mill and the Ghost Town Tavern. The tavern is the only remaining remnant of the historic Port Ulao village.

The name “Ulao” pronounced “You-Lay’-Oh” is thought to have been adopted from an American General Ulao who landed at the village port sometime in 1881. He was a descendant of French Huguenots, and his name may have been spelled Ulaeua or in a similar way, as efforts to trace his presence have been unsuccessful. There is also a story that the abandoned Ulao station was given this name because the train’s whistle sounded like “You-Lay-Oh” as it passed through the village (hence the Ulao Whistler).

Also, Charles Guiteau, the assassin of President Garfield, lived in Port Ulao until hanged for his crime in 1880. He was the grandson of General John R. Howe, and the son of Luther Guiteau, the original land surveyor for Port Ulao.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did manage to make it over there....but saw nothing at the end of this road unfortunatly.....i spent 12 years in grafton so i know the area somewhat well and when i was really young found a few abandoned houses that i had to let myself into.......unfortunatly i cant seem to find anything in my area any longer that seems worth the time.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly im just desperate for a place in Wi to detect.....im completely new to this but and eager.

Honestly i feel hella akward asking permission for people houses where i know there is something to be found.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have live in Port for over 30 years and still have not pind Ulao down. It is just a little way South of me. Back in the seventies or eighties there was a very good story with pictures of a treasure hunter who found the site but little else, in Treasure Mag. I also looked in some local books many years ago and found a map that put it almost on the bluff.

CoinShooter-Craig

Jan 3, 2009
Langlade Co , WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac / Tesoro Vaquero
I lived in Ozaukee County in the 70's and 80's in both Saulkville and Port Washington and I went to high school in Fredonia ( Cowpie High ). Unfortunately that was before I was into metal detecting and treasure hunting except for digging up old bottles and garbage next to a farmers field a mile or so behing my house. I'm sure that farmer was wondering who was digging up trash next to his field. Anyways I never heard of Port Ualo before , but it sounds like it would be a great place to detect around. jimb - When you mentioned the bluff - do you mean the bluff in Port Washington?? I used to have a lot of fun up there in the mid 80's when you were allowed to have fun up there yet. I've been up north in Langlade county since 1987 , and only make it down to that area once every few years. I grew up in a house in Saulkville that was supposedly built by Solomon Jueno ( Probably spelled wrong ) who was the founder of Milwaukee ( So I was told anyways ). I wish I was into metal detecting when I was 8 years old. I probably would have found some neat stuff in that yard!! It was on Hwy O on the outskirts of town heading in the direction of Lamplight farms. CoinShooter-Craig

katdancing

Jun 16, 2012
central wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Grafton & the tavern is on Hwy 60, going East towards the lake. It is on the left hand side of the road just after you cross the railroad tracks. I believe it is now a restaurant called the Ghost Town Tavern.

sarahs.stuff

Aug 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Port Ulao is long gone now. The cliffs have eroded and any remnants of the pier should be long gone now. During the time the port was used Lake Michigan was about 9 feet lower. I don't know if you went diving if you can find old posts but the water is not clear enough to see from land. In addition, the land that does remain has newer homes built on it.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the posts should still be standing below the waterline.

Wood takes forever to decompose in the Great Lakes. Even wooden ships in shallow water are still there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread