waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm out doing a bit of ground fishing when the cell phone rings. It is one of the tellers from my bank calling to tell me that someone just deposited some silver certificates and red seal $2.00 bills. She asked if I wanted them and of course I said yes.

Got to the bank and they had 17 $1.00 Silver Certificates. Most were the 1957 series but there were a couple of 1935's also. The $2.00 were all United States Notes. There were 5 of them ranging from a 1928 to 1963. I'm about to leave when the teller told me he had $7.00 in half dollar and did I want those as well. I figured why not at least I'll get them out of the drawer. Of the 14 halves, 11 of them were 40%'ers.

As I was leaving the teller who had called told me that a customer brought in the halves and the paper and told them that she had more of the halfs at home but they were 64's and she knew they were silver, but the other ones were just coins.

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Tellers can be either REAL big sob's or can be uber sweet. Nice to know you have some sweet ones. That is funny though... the person knew about the 90%'s but not the 40's... gotta love when their lack of knowledge benefits us CRH's. =)

Grats on your finds.

And plans for the fiat? Normally when I run across that stuff I dump it off to one of my dealers who buys it from me at a good price as a personal favor. Most dealers hate the stuff if it isn't PRISTINE or RARE, but I sold this guy like three grand worth of junk silver when I was tight on money once so he helps me out. ;)

~Dave

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
Nice begets nice.

Awesome haul !

That's my motto. It worked real well when I was traveling as I got lots of upgrades for flights and hotel rooms just by being nice. It works real well with tellers also. Of course cookies and chocolate don't hurt. ::)

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Tellers can be either REAL big sob's or can be uber sweet. Nice to know you have some sweet ones. That is funny though... the person knew about the 90%'s but not the 40's... gotta love when their lack of knowledge benefits us CRH's. =)

Grats on your finds.

And plans for the fiat? Normally when I run across that stuff I dump it off to one of my dealers who buys it from me at a good price as a personal favor. Most dealers hate the stuff if it isn't PRISTINE or RARE, but I sold this guy like three grand worth of junk silver when I was tight on money once so he helps me out. ;)

~Dave

I've got a dealer who'll take the bills off my hands, but I'm thinking about getting some currency sleeves and giving them as presents to my "special" tellers.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Very cool idea!

Those sleeves aren't cheap though!

I've bought a few from one dealer who still stocks them, and they weren't that cheap. And another dealer I talked to said he doesn't stock them because they rose the price so much... he only gets them when another dealer friend of his orders them... he taks on his order to his.

He said something crazy like "back in the day I used to get these for a penny a piece and know you only get two for a dollar!" or something like that, lol.

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread