$25.00 in pennies = no copper

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I got a $25.00 box of pennies from the bank so that my kids and me could look for a few Wheaties. They decided they didn't feel like it looking through them, so there was just more for me. After the first couple rolls I noticed none of the pennies where very old. By the time I was done I found that there where no pennies older than 1983. I could see that in a box of hand rolled pennies, but not a bank box. :o

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a reydale machine dump...it is still a good idea to go through them, they sometimes spit out indians

HH
-GC

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
I've been through about 40 boxes of cents over the last year plus and 2 of the boxes were all zinc. So it does happen. On occasion the big bulk searchers return the zincs to the banks who in turn have them picked up by the armored services. They run the coins through the machines and roll them up to be sent back out.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Coinstar had a deal with Brinks to cull the copper out for them but they should have stopped by now with the low copper price.
I used to average about 20% skunk boxes but it has been good the last couple of months with almost none.
Weight the box and if it is 14 lbs. it's all zinc. If it's 17 lbs., it's all copper. Anything in between is normal. I had the good luck of 4 - 17lb. Brinks boxes lately - they may have been from the Coinstar hoard. There were only a few zincs and over 40 wheaties in each box.
Normally the boxes weigh around 14.10 lbs. here and contain 20% copper and 5-6 wheaties.

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
I am so glad I haven't got skunked on pennies yet, but I know my time is due sometime. Been averaging around 25% coppers lately.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I had the same experience this summer, 3 Brinks boxes & 2 copper cents, fortunately the were both 1919-s Wheats. I gave up on cents at the local banks and have moved into nickels & am having a blast. You might consider giving nickels a try.

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Slingshot said:
Yeah, I had the same experience this summer, 3 Brinks boxes & 2 copper cents, fortunately the were both 1919-s Wheats. I gave up on cents at the local banks and have moved into nickels & am having a blast. You might consider giving nickels a try.

Actually I did. At the same bank I picked up $60 in nickels. All where rolled in plastic except 1 hand roll. That one roll had 7 buffalo in it. The rest of the roll was from the 40s and 50s.

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
I dumped $150. worth of '83 and beyond pennies in the Charleston, SC area a few days ago. If you are local to me, my apologies.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I suspect that we may see an influx of copper in our boxes in the future weeks and months. As the price of copper has dropped, many people that live close to the edge will be letting go of their hoards. I'm feeling a little goofy myself right now for having a many coppers up in the attic as I have. However, I plan on holding them for many years just to see what happens :tard:.. Gpurs...

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I dump about $165 of copper-less pennies every week in the Phoenix area. I start with $200 in boxes, take out what turns out to be about $35 in copper, and return the rest.

Eventually that is going ot affect my results, but not yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions