Silver Ike question

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a '76S Ike, type 2. On the sides where you'd normally be able to tell if a coin is clad or silver, this looks like it's clad, except for a bunch of splotches where there is a silver color showing through. It's in really good condition (probably MS-60, at least) so I know it isn't just worn down on the sides. What I'm trying to ask is, do the silver Ikes show silver on the reeds, or copper like a clad?

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea. Get a silver half and a clad half, then flip each coin in the air and catch it and listen to the sound it makes. Then flip the dollar and see if it sounds like the silver half. Or better yet, if do this test with a clad dollar and compar the sounds. I say flip with your thumb because if its a nice grade coin, you don't want to be dropping it on a hard surface to hear the sound. Flipping really works, I can hear the difference between silver and clad. :thumbsup:

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
It is my understanding that the only silver clad 76S coins were Type I so I don't think yours is silver. Also you can just weigh the coin. A silver clad should be 24g+ and the regular clads are less than 23g.

65GT350

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I think it is clad my friend.

As for weighing them... we don't all have nice scales and such. I use a friends when I really need to get specific with low weights. He blew well over $100 on a nice and small electronic one... I can't be blowing that kind of money on something that most often gets used to only weigh 1982 pennies. =)

~Dave

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
They are just like the half dollar S mints some are clad and some are silver.

-golden Silver

OP
OP
Jack_MIghtyheart

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies. I can't just do the flip test because I'm partially tone-deaf and can't tell the difference between a normal coin and a silver coin. And I mistyped on my first post, it's really a type 1. Might not be silver, but it's still a nice coin to add to my stash. =D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread