I have 3 hobbies and did all this weekend.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hobby #1 - CRH - FRIDAY
$825 in halves and $25 in dimes got me: 2 90% and 1 40% half and a rosy dime.

hobby #2 - yard sale hunting - SATURDAY
a lonely 3 gram silver bracelet (pretty bad but did get over 2 pounds of silver last weekend) plus I found a few things for eBay.

hobby #3 - metal detecting - SUNDAY
2 pieces junk jewelry and about $8.00 in change.

do you see a common thread here? all my hobbies make money instead of cost money. ;D

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
The trend only holds if you don't buy short rolls, buy something you THINK is worth something but is only junk, and can find enough good stuff to pay for the expensive beast that is a MD. =)

Grats on your finds though!

And you seem very experienced in the yard sale/random silver item buying category, so I doubt you make a bad buy there too often.

~Dave

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
and can find enough good stuff to pay for the expensive beast that is a MD. =)
My XLT has more than paid for itself in coins alone. (that does not count about 8 gold items and dozens of silver) I have also written 2-3 stories for Whites and get $200 gift certificates. Last certificate I got a friend wanted a new eliptical coil and I wanted his bigfoot coil, fair trade. I never go anywhere without my bigfoot. :wink:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan said:
BBcardsRI said:
and can find enough good stuff to pay for the expensive beast that is a MD. =)
My XLT has more than paid for itself in coins alone. (that does not count about 8 gold items and dozens of silver) I have also written 2-3 stories for Whites and get $200 gift certificates. Last certificate I got a friend wanted a new eliptical coil and I wanted his bigfoot coil, fair trade. I never go anywhere without my bigfoot. :wink:
One of my hobbies is also MDing. This year I've pulled about $100 in clad, 23 silver coins and other oldies. At that rate, I should have both my detectors paid for in about 15 years LOLOL!

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Detectors ain't cheap, that's for sure. Especially if you want a good one!

How does the article/$200 gift certificate work? Write about your finds and if they like it they pick it? Or are there other topics? Nice work to you though sir on getting them.

~Dave

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
How does the article/$200 gift certificate work? Write about your finds and if they like it they pick it?

Since I have a white's machine it was easy. I read a lot of their stories to see what they accept. I then crafted a story (all true) to highlight their machine and what it can do. Then I submit it to [email protected] Todd is in charge of this now. About the time they publish it on their website they mail me a gift certificate that can only be used at their web store. I don't think they ever publish the $200 cert payment, just word of mouth. So they may not do it any more or it may be less.

Here are my last two stories. Can't find the first one.

http://whiteselectronics.com/compon..._200410/limitstart,5/limit,5/Itemid,137/#1578

http://whiteselectronics.com/compon..._200601/limitstart,0/limit,5/Itemid,137/#1413

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread