Question about Half Dollar Bags

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
As many of you know I just got my dad into CRH. He has been on an unbelievable roll as of late. So far in less than $200 cashed in he has over $28 in 40% halves and $42.50 in 90% halves. I just spoke to him and he informed me that one of his banks has a $1,000 bag full of half dollars that has been sitting there for a very long time because they cannot circulate them or have any means to get rid of them. Which brings me to the next question...how often can you actually find $1,000 bags of halves in banks and what are the chances of hitting some good silver. I always hear of boxes from the Fed or Brinks but not bags full of nothing but halves.

Is it a rare find to find such a bag and what are the chances of hitting a mother lode if it is indeed rare to find these type of bags.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
65gt350 said:
I would pick it up but my math tells me the bag is probably not pre 64 since the bag would weigh 55lbs+. It is possible that it is a 40% bag.

65GT350

Thanks for the info, do 40% bags weigh exactly 50 lbs ? I read that a cupronickel bag weighs exactly 49.9 lbs. Do bags after 1970 weigh exactly 50 lbs or do they weigh less or more.

Depending on the different weights of bags (pre-64=55+ lbs), (65-69's) and 70-09 I may be able to have an idea what is in the bag. If the bag is short then it could be the reason why it is 50 lbs

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Rodzm,

Here is the math for mint bags.

40% Bags
2000 coins @ 11.5g = 23000g / 453.59237 (grams per pound) = 50.706 lbs

Clad
2000 coins @ 11.34g = 22680g / 453.59237 (grams per pound) = 50.000 lbs

90% Bags
2000 coins @ 12.5g = 25000g / 453.59237 (grams per pound) = 55.115 lbs

I would ask your Dad to check to see if the bag says US Mint on it and is sewn shut versus a bag with a Bank name that is tied shut. If it is a Mint bag that is sewn shut it is a CuNi Bag.

Best of luck
65GT350

OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
65gt350,

Thanks for the info...I guess it all boils down to what the bag looks like. I was always under the assumption the $1,000 Mint Bags where only distributed before 1965. Is it still possible that the mint sends halves in mint bags? I always thought the mint sends out coin in boxes and if the mint sent out bags that they were in smaller amounts such as this: http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=14355&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10155

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
It is my understanding that the mint sent out $1000 bags to Fed Banks who then sent them to either banks or coin processors up until ~2000 then they changed to super size bags ($50000 bag). The small bags you see on their website are collector packaging, that is why you get both P&D in the bags. The old bags were mint specific bags, either all D or P mints.

65GT350

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
it seems to me being in the territories must limit the amount of banks available for searching without ordering boxes....therefore i would take whatever i could find....also i feel your chances of a great bag are outstanding.....like cyberdan said...can't see modern Americans carrying around halfs....the only thing that bothers me is the weight...as 65gt500 points out...a mint bag of clad is EXACTLY 50lbs.....i still would take it even with a fee....good luck and keep us posted....BTW stranger things have happened.....i found 16 unopened original rolls of 1963 Ben Franklin halfs all a few months ago......ya never know

OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Talked to my dad and he will be picking them up this Friday. Looks like they have to do some sort of transfer ??? from one bank to anohter. Ill keep you guys updated. Hell even if it is a bag of 40%ers it is still a good find. Ill keep you guys updated

OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Well guys just talked to my dad and almost got skunked on the bag. He was a little disappointed but what can you expect when you pull lots of silver from rolls. He ended up pulling 2- 90%ers and 4- 40%ers plus some foreign stuff.

The one advice I gave him...stick to rolls from now on. He has a limited amount of cash so rolls are the way to go for him, besides all his good finds have come from rolls rather than bags

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Rodzm,

How much was the fee? Was the bag canvas and sewn/tied or was is a plastic bag? I would see if the bank can get another bag before he returns the dumps. His success with the hand rolls and the finding of some silver in the bag are all good signs. I have a feeling that the next bag will be better.

65GT350

OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
65gt350 said:
Rodzm,

How much was the fee? Was the bag canvas and sewn/tied or was is a plastic bag? I would see if the bank can get another bag before he returns the dumps. His success with the hand rolls and the finding of some silver in the bag are all good signs. I have a feeling that the next bag will be better.

65GT350
Just your regular bank canvas bag. I dont know if he will get another bag since it ties up too much of his cash, he is only receiving Social Sec and VA compensation so having $1,000 tied up is not good for him, yes he will get the money back rather quickly but its something he is not fond of especially after doing so well with rolls and nearly skunked on a bag. Besides he as a find ratio of over 30% with rolls compared to a .003% on the bag he just got. Either way his location...Puerto Rico for all those who want to know is not a prime location for CRH'ers so his chances of finding tons of silver are still huge. Hell he already found one Barber in less than $200 searched and one roll he got had 12 Walkers in it.

In the spirit of Jeopardy...I'll take rolls for $500, please.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodzm said:
Just your regular bank canvas bag. I dont know if he will get another bag since it ties up too much of his cash, he is only receiving Social Sec and VA compensation so having $1,000 tied up is not good for him, yes he will get the money back rather quickly but its something he is not fond of especially after doing so well with rolls and nearly skunked on a bag. Besides he as a find ratio of over 30% with rolls compared to a .003% on the bag he just got. Either way his location...Puerto Rico for all those who want to know is not a prime location for CRH'ers so his chances of finding tons of silver are still huge. Hell he already found one Barber in less than $200 searched and one roll he got had 12 Walkers in it.

In the spirit of Jeopardy...I'll take rolls for $500, please.

umm....6 / 2000 does equal 0.003, but that would be 0.3%

OP
OP
R

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
So yup a less than a 1% find ratio, hell less than a half percent ratio. Silver is silver but I would stick to rolls with a 30+% find rate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread