FINALLY hit a great lot of coins at the bank!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent been on here in a long time. I was pretty heavy into searching bank rolls but quit over a year ago because I was not finding anything. Must have gone through $7K in halves and only had a few silver kennedy's to show for it. THAT ALL CHANGED TODAY!

I hadnt stopped anywhere for coins in over a year. Today on the way to town, all the sudden as I was passing the bank, I just decided to swing in and ask about half dollars. Pulled up to the window and asked if they had any. They ended up having $24 worth so I took them all. She dropped them in a plactic bag and I was off. Driving down the road I glanced into the bag and they immediately pulled over as I saw silver. Sat there on the side of the road and couldnt believe my eyes, almost half were silver. Not only that, but OLD silver. I got
10- 1964 Kennedy's
5- Franklins
2- Walking Liberty's
AND
1 1912 Barber half dollar!

I would have been happy to just get a Silver Kennedy, I would have been stoked to get a Franklin, I would have been beside myself to get a walking liberty, but to get multiples of all of those and a Barber half, I just couldnt believe it. Im guessing someone coin collection ended up in ciculation somehow. I just cant believe that the tellers dont think anything of a barber half from 1912 or the others. Dates for the other were 1912 Barber, 1942 and 1945 Walking Liberty, Franklins 1950, 51,53,59,63 and all ten of the Kennedys were 64's. In all my searching before I had only found 2 90% silver coins. Im so happy about today. I know I could search the rest of my life and never have another day like today. I wonder how many other Barber halves are out there in circulation right now. Oh, and all of these were very shiney. The Kennedys looked near uncirculated and the others even though they are worn, were also very shiney, like they may have been polished to a shine at one point. I will treasure these. And, Ill defintly be hitting the banks more often now.

Just had to get back on here and post about my day. Good luck on yalls searches!

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
kudos! Those are great finds and supports my theory that more silver is filtering into the system during the economic crunch.

-Golden Silver

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
another barber....i think that is like the 3rd in the last few weeks....WTG.. :thumbsup:
BTW can we see some pics...perhaps someone here can tell you whether they have been cleaned or not
besides we all love seeing the elusive barber ;D

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a great picture but I put them on the scanner. Ill try and take an actual picture later to see if it turns out better. Not sure if you can tell here how shiney they are. The 64's are bright silver light fresh from the mint silver dollars except a few have small tarnished spots like you get on silver coins.

img010.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like some of them may have been chemically dipped. You can buy silver jewlry cleaner. You dip a tarnished silver coin it it for several seconds, remove, rinse in warm water, then buff lightly. I could not believe my eyes when I tried this. The result is a mint-like sparkling finish. I was dipping bullion coin as they had no collector value. Very bright finish! AMC

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its possible that the Kennedy's may have been chemically cleaned, several of them look like they just came out of a holder since new. Im very happy with my finds either way :) I still cant believe it. Ive been playing with the stack of them since I brought them home. That nice clinking sound they make that is so different than the sounds clad makes, lol.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Nathon.....great pickup!! Now that is a variety. Special kudos on that Barber....wahooooo. You don't find those everyday.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
good job nathan! :thumbsup: congrats on the walkers and the barber!

remember...you don't find 'em if ya don't look for 'em. heck, sometimes i don't find 'em even when i'm looking for 'em!

good job and keep it up. the silver's out there.

and the scan is great! good clarity.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions