big day tomorrow / more questions

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I'm taking the day off tomorrow and hitting as many banks as I can. Anyways, I have a list and am excited. With that being said I am still learning the ropes and have a few more questions.

1. I hear talk about ‘bags.’ Where do you typically find banks that have bags of half dollars? And do machines sort out the good silver?

2. What is the denomination of a box? Where do boxes come from…are they collected change from the banks other branches or do they come directly from the US Mint?

3. What is the likelihood of getting them in a box? Better or worse than loose, or is this debatable? What’s the going opinion on hand rolls?

4. When you drop off your 'bad rolls', how much do you typically drop off at a bank...or what's the most you would drop off in halves?

Thanks again, if I find something good tomorrow I'll post with pics.

Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
1. No way to tell except go in and ask. And I believe machines normally reject silver dimes and quarters, but not sure.

2. Boxes are $500, and they come either from the armored car company, who contracts with the government to handle bulk coins, or an independent company called CWI.

3. Again, no way of knowing. Go in and ask. Hand rolls could be someone's dumps. Or they could just be halves rolled by someone who save them. 50/50 chance either way.

4. It differs from person to person. And it depends on the dump bank. Some have no problem with taking in $10,000 in halves. Some require them to be rolled, others require them to be dumped in the coin machiner they have. Again, no way to know until you go in.

Good luck!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MalteseFalcon said:
1. No way to tell except go in and ask. And I believe machines normally reject silver dimes and quarters, but not sure.

Whether or not a machine rejects silver coins just depends on how loosely its calibrated. Some machines are naturally loose and let just anything through. Others are set much tighter and reject silver dimes and quarters.

In the banks I pick up from, silver is always in the bags. I suppose it may be rejecting a coin or two (though I doubt it), but it is definitely letting some through.

Most of the rejects are coins of odd sizes, coins that have dings on them and are unable to pass through the size slot properly, are magnetic, or have the wrong weight (i.e. foreign or slugs).

Again, each machine has different abilities to differentiate and reject coins. For example, one of my dump bank's coin machine rejects about 30% of clad halves due to tight calibration....note that I don't dump halves there anymore.

Some machines also let just about anything through such as guitar picks, flattened pennies, etc. All recent Canadian coinage is magnetic, yet I still find a lot of it at my pickup banks...obviously their machine is not too sensitive. Unfortunately, my dump bank's machine is pretty sensitive which is one reason of why I have been stockpiling my recent Canadian coins (mainly pennies).

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take time to read the top post and it will answer most of your questions.

Happy Hunting!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
me personally....i have 90% of my finds from handrolls and loose ones...the machine rolls almost never have had anything of value or quantity....yet some here have had some great finds from machine rolls...it doesn't seem to work for me...i do know most who order boxes go through thousands and thousands of dollars worth...me...i only take whats on hand and move on...as for counting machines there are many banks with free counters....only thing is where i'm hunting their bags are limited to $100.00 and constantly need changing...so i minimize to like $200.00 per dump bank so as not to piss anyone off...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions