Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
dasherhunting said:
Picked up two more halves boxes yest and noticed they were taped with clear tape this time over old tape . i just ordered them mon. Anyway to make a long story short opened boxes and you can tell each roll has been opened dont even feel like searching now . Depression sets in. Dave >:(
I may get pummeled for saying this, but, the bank fullfilled it's obligation as long as the count is correct. I always try to remind myself that my bank is not a coin shop for me to pick and choose from. I take what they give me. I would try again, if you dump your coins there you may just get them right back again. Or, switch banks and try again. Just my $.02 AMC

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
most likely searched by someone at the bank....don't think the company that delivered ordered coins would give thier customers rewrapped rolls as the banks are paying for the service and the company can't gaurantee an accurate count unless they put them through the machine again...just my opinion :thumbsup:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
OH BTW....don't know if you have an account with them or not....but you are doing business with them...i would have asked for the manager and complained

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
mistergee said:
OH BTW....don't know if you have an account with them or not....but you are doing business with them...i would have asked for the manager and complained
Mistergee, what would you complain about? The box has been tampered with, but the count is exactly 1000 half-dollars inside the box. Not short, not over.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
AMC you are ordering a box of sealed halves not opened and then taped shut. On the boxes I order it says right on the side "if opened count contents." My point is, if you have a retaped box, how do you or the bank know how many are inside that tampered with box? You don't until you get home and count what is in each roll and by then it is too late. The bank is not a coin shop but they are a business and should provide a quality product. If indeed someone at the bank is breaking the seal and pulling silver then that is problem as well because they have no right to that box which has been ordered for a customer. That would be the equivalent of ordering a box of assorted chocolates from harry and david's and someone from that company opening the box taking out all the coconut chocolates and replacing them cherry filled (yuck) or worse yet not replacing them at. Capice?

I think more than likely they are boxes that have been filled with a CRHers dumps and then turned into the bank which in turn returns them to the fed and later reships them.

-Golden Silver

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
AMC you are ordering a box of sealed halves not opened and then taped shut. On the boxes I order it says right on the side "if opened count contents." My point is, if you have a retaped box, how do you or the bank know how many are inside that tampered with box? You don't until you get home and count what is in each roll and by then it is too late. The bank is not a coin shop but they are a business and should provide a quality product. If indeed someone at the bank is breaking the seal and pulling silver then that is problem as well because they have no right to that box which has been ordered for a customer. That would be the equivalent of ordering a box of assorted chocolates from harry and david's and someone from that company opening the box taking out all the coconut chocolates and replacing them cherry filled (yuck) or worse yet not replacing them at. Capice?
exactly...you ordered it...its yours...noone has a right to search it
as for it coming from the company that way....i stand by what i said...most if not all banks pay a fee for the service and the company that provides the coins must insure a perfect count and that everything in there is a half and not some other half size coin...therefore if the company recieves a returned box of coins that is rerolled or handrolled they would have to check each and every one to ensure accuracy and quantity and then reroll them to be shipped out....that would all be done by machine...no way would they do that and reroll in the wrappers that they were returned in.....someone at the bank did it and you got screwed....thats where the complaint comes in....they're your coins and no employee should touch them or pass them off on someone else

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Mistregee, another thing that could be happening is that they are ordering these coins in from a bigger bank that has these peoples dumps. I think this is what happened to me at BOA. Sometimes I would get sealed boxes and about once a month I would get the taped up box which seems to indicate someone who was searching coin was dumping at a bigger bank where halves get ordered from. I think this is the most likely senario. Banks save money cutting out the middle man and I have heard tellers call over to other branches to see if they have coin....makes Cents....(get it....cents..Ha)

-Golden Silver

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
dasherhunting said:
Picked up two more halves boxes yest and noticed they were taped with clear tape this time over old tape . i just ordered them mon. Anyway to make a long story short opened boxes and you can tell each roll has been opened dont even feel like searching now . Depression sets in. Dave >:(

Dave,

I know how you feel. But please do not dump the halves using the same box and wrappers. By returning rolls only and not the box it forces the dump bank to bag up the rolls and return them to the cash vault. Where they will be broken out of the wrappers. If you want to return them in the box at least change a few rolls to hand wrapped.

More than likely someone reused the shotgun wrappers and returned them to their dump bank in the box and the dump bank just shipped it back to the cash vault were they put it back on the pallet without recounting since it looked good.

Hope your next boxes are better.

65GT350

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
golden silver said:
Mistregee, another thing that could be happening is that they are ordering these coins in from a bigger bank that has these peoples dumps. I think this is what happened to me at BOA. Sometimes I would get sealed boxes and about once a month I would get the taped up box which seems to indicate someone who was searching coin was dumping at a bigger bank where halves get ordered from. I think this is the most likely senario. Banks save money cutting out the middle man and I have heard tellers call over to other branches to see if they have coin....makes Cents....(get it....cents..Ha)

-Golden Silver
didn't think of that....good show of common cents ;D

OP
OP
D

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I have accounts at all the banks I deal with. I dump at my credit union across town and order from my bank. I know the girls didnt sort for one they didnt have time brinks delivers on wed and I picked them up afternoon on wed. They were the standard I call them shotgun rolls that are real tight ( unless opened like these) I wen through a few rolls but feel Im not gonna waste my time and just return them. plus youre right they are not a coin shop so im not gonna bite the hand that feeds me lol.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks!!! Just quickly search through them, then dump them so you don't get the same box again. Don't re-roll them...

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've been getting a lot of taped boxes lately. Some have had silver and some skunks. The taped boxes are coming from a number of different banks. It is likely being done at Brinks or Loomis or even the driver as I get both and they both are taped. It seems like they are trying to reinforce the boxes during transit. My best box lately had the most tape. I was suspect at first but I opened it at the counter and saw three silvers smiling at me :thumbsup:. I stopped worrying after that. I'd just open that box and move on. If you find that all you get are skunks from this location, switch source banks.

Maine_Jim

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
maine_Jim said:
I've been getting a lot of taped boxes lately. Some have had silver and some skunks. The taped boxes are coming from a number of different banks. It is likely being done at Brinks or Loomis or even the driver as I get both and they both are taped. It seems like they are trying to reinforce the boxes during transit. My best box lately had the most tape. I was suspect at first but I opened it at the counter and saw three silvers smiling at me :thumbsup:. I stopped worrying after that. I'd just open that box and move on. If you find that all you get are skunks from this location, switch source banks.

Maine_Jim

I'm glad someone noticed this too. I just picked up my first 5x5x2 box that was taped multiple times vertically and once horizontally. Also, we are getting to the time of year where they change the tape from clear to a Christmas wrap tape.

65GT350

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Mabey those damaged, taped - up boxes mean "bottom of the pallet". One of my 2 boxes searched recently had been taped up and held 27 keepers.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
That is a bummer Dave , I picked up some boxes on a trip and the same thing .. Someone had opened one end of the Brinks rolls so I just ripped the rolls poured them in bags and shipped them.

maine_Jim said:

Maine_Jim

Yeah same thing here Jim, some are all taped up and the others should be because the rolls are falling out of the box , Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions