Tellers: if you want them, put them away!

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I go into a bank, ask for halves and a couple tellers give me a few bucks worth. One guy says "I have two". I walk over and hand him a buck and as he gives the coins I see in his tray are two more halves, both silver.
I ask, nicely. He's keeping them.
Fine, no big deal, it's just two coins. I'm not gonna push the issue, but darnitall, but them or put the dadblamed things in your drawer if you ain't selling! It was like being teased....

BTW, my brother works for the same company and he says there are no rules about waiting until after your shift or anything like that. All you have to do is transfer them to another teller and then buy them from that teller. Or, if you can't do that right away, you're allowed to put them in your drawer and do it later when you can.

just ranting...............

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah at the banks I deal with they have told me the rule is no buying until the end of their shift, so at my banks they would have had to sell em

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good rant.....I totally agree!!!!

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
I don't know, I think I would rather see them with the silver than have to guess. I never find any silver, and I've got this massive paranoia that all of the tellers are grinning like a bunch of possums (if i meant opossums, i would have put opossums) in a persimmon patch, because they have massive hoards of all of the silver I can't find at their houses.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
when the new xbox or sony playstation comes out are the clerks allowed to hold the last 2 of them and leave them on the shelves but not sell them because they want them? i would think they would be transfered,suspended or fired. i feel the same should hold for the tellers ...that money is there for the customers...if it is left in sight on thier tray then its 1st come 1st served.."he who hesitates is lost" i don't understand the reasoning for leaving them in the tray....as long as thier drawer is in full balance at the end of the shift i see nothing wrong with them removing what they want and refunding what they took before totaling out thier drawer or tray for the day...the money doesn't belong to them and they have no say as to who gets what...they are there to dispense, transfer and deposit currency....i definitly would have told him i wanted to speak with his manager....i'd be willing to bet he would have handed them over or the manager would have made him hand them over as they are in his tray or drawer and don't belong to him.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
a month ago or so i stopped in at a small bank i'd never been to. asked the young teller if she had any half dollars. she replied that she did. as she headed to the vault to get the few loose rolls they had i noticed she had twenty bright and shiny brand new looking 90's in her tray! OMG! when she returned i told her i'd like to purchase the coins she had in her tray. she told me she was saving those for her young son. yeah...okay.

i understood it. if i were a teller and i knew they were silver i wouldn't let 'em go either so i can't fault her for not letting me have them. but geez....so close and yet so far away!

i've seen silver in tellers' trays and some have let them go and some have kept 'em. i appreciate the ones who let me have 'em and i understand the ones who don't.

and why should they put 'em away? what are the odds that a "CRH'er" is gonna walk in?

come to think of it....how many CRH'ers do you think a bank sees per month?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
but they are not thiers to keep.....if they are on display then they are up for sale....first thing they should do is go through thier stuff before they open and remove what they want and replace it....then we wouldn't be having this discussion...why would anyone leave something that they want out in the open where someone else may get it....then when someone asks for it they don't sell it to them anyway so why even go through all that?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
but they are not thiers to keep.....if they are on display then they are up for sale....first thing they should do is go through thier stuff before they open and remove what they want and replace it....then we wouldn't be having this discussion...why would anyone leave something that they want out in the open where someone else may get it....then when someone asks for it they don't sell it to them anyway so why even go through all that?

Out of sight..out of mind. I have mentioned that to a couple of tellers, but they still don't do it, or at least I don't think they do... :)

If the teller is intending to keep the coins for themselves, there is no benefit to having them in the tray and only bad things can happen. I have seen it where a known silver coin was in a teller's tray for like a month before it was finally removed....of course I only asked about it 2 times... :)

My guideline is if its a bank/branch I go to frequently...no reason to ruffle feathers for 1 or 2 coins...

Now, I've also been told that they were being saved for customer XYZ. In those cases I am more likely to push (if I have an account at the bank) as then the teller is essentially saying customer XYZ is more important than I am. If I have no account, pushing won't likely get me very far and may mean I am no longer welcome without an account so not worth the hassle.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
GMan00001 said:
My guideline is if its a bank/branch I go to frequently...no reason to ruffle feathers for 1 or 2 coins...

Now, I've also been told that they were being saved for customer XYZ. In those cases I am more likely to push (if I have an account at the bank) as then the teller is essentially saying customer XYZ is more important than I am. If I have no account, pushing won't likely get me very far and may mean I am no longer welcome without an account so not worth the hassle.

good philosophy G!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i guess i can be a little more confrontational as i have an almost limitless supply of banks and don't need to take any crap from any of them...ESPECIALLY one where i have an account....and i understand when you have so few banks to depend on it puts you between a rock and a hard place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread