went hunting, someone drove up under my truck.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hit maybe 15 banks today. Only got 4 40%. and 107 Ikes(nothing good).
One box gave us 4 more 40%.

We were headed south on a divided road, two lanes each way. went thru a light and I saw a car out of the corner of my eye making a left into the left lane next to me.
Next thing I know *WHAM*! Holy s-, WTF! I'm going around in a circle and end up in the median facing where I'd come from.
I make sure the GF is alright and hop out and check the other car. The young man is OK.
I got back in my truck and moved it out of the median to over behind his car. We start talking and he says his phone is dead, can we use mine to call it in.
I said "I'm driving a $325 truck and I have plenty of spare parts. If you don't care, i don't care and would rather not deal with cops, insurance and all."
He wasn't sure so I suggested we get off the side of the road and into the nearby parking lot where it's a bit safer.
We looked over each other's vehicles. Mine has a dented lower rear quarter and a bit of trim missing. The wheel is straight and the axle wasn't bent. Tire is fine.
His car has a headlight hanging out and a bashed fender. we popped the inner fender back in place and retightened his battery cable.
When he was making his left he hit water as it was raining all day and it lost traction and sent him sliding across the intersection into me. Fortunately, there was no one behind us to get caught up in our spin.
He kept asking if I was sure I didn't want to cal it in. I mentioned that he would likely get a ticket. Then insurance gets involved and rates go up. His car could probably be fixed for less than his deductible if he did it himself with junkyard parts. That he was all for!

So we shook hands and split. No blood, no foul.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear nobody got hurt.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I don't mean any disrespect, but not calling this accident in was not a very good idea. Since the fault was on the other driver, you had nothing to lose to call it in. I dont know what the personal injury law is in your state, but if it was not your fault your rates should not go up. I know a couple of no fault states might give a different result, but they are the exception.

Also, if for some reason your GF (girlfriend?) decides she is hurt and wants to pursue a claim, you wont have a police report. If you did not get the other guys info you wont even be able to find him.

Also, why should you have to pay for damage to your vehicle if another person was at fault? Also, the other guy could call his insurance and try to blame you now. Without a police report documenting it anything can happen. In my experience when a police report is made right away the other side is more likely to be honest in telling how it happened (to the cop), as opposed to thinking about it for a few days and remembering it differently when he talks to his insurance adjuster.

Jim

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, that kid will never know what you did for him. I can say this and that, but I will leave it be at this: you did that fella a HUGE favor. Thank God noone was hurt. That is a great miracle. Heres hoping karma takes action appropriatly :).

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I don't mean any disrespect, but not calling this accident in was not a very good idea. Since the fault was on the other driver, you had nothing to lose to call it in. I dont know what the personal injury law is in your state, but if it was not your fault your rates should not go up. I know a couple of no fault states might give a different result, but they are the exception.

Also, if for some reason your GF (girlfriend?) decides she is hurt and wants to pursue a claim, you wont have a police report. If you did not get the other guys info you wont even be able to find him.

Also, why should you have to pay for damage to your vehicle if another person was at fault? Also, the other guy could call his insurance and try to blame you now. Without a police report documenting it anything can happen. In my experience when a police report is made right away the other side is more likely to be honest in telling how it happened (to the cop), as opposed to thinking about it for a few days and remembering it differently when he talks to his insurance adjuster.

Jim

Girlfriend is fine. Low speed impact, slow spin. I knew exactly what I was doing. I'm paying for nothing. I'll whack the 1/4 with a BFH if I decide I need to. One more dent doesn't matter as it's a work truck and the opposite corner was already crunched when i got it.
He can call his insurance and tell them whatever he wants, not my problem. He has none of my information either so he's not finding me. He said something about telling them it was hit in a parking lot, but I didn't listen too closely and cautioned against insurance fraud.
I know I had nothing to lose calling it in, except that it's only an old truck, no one was hurt. This kid would have been in a lot of hassle for a lot of nothing. I have a lot better things to worry about. Oh, and I HATE dealing with cops and insurance. I prefer avoiding ANY contact with ANY gov't authority whenever possible. I can solve my own problems.
Not to mention that even though it wasn't my fault, it would still show as a reported accident on my driving record at DMV and therefore affect insurance rates. And I have a CDL and don't need to explain it to a potential employer if I decide to get a trucking job.

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Wow, that kid will never know what you did for him. I can say this and that, but I will leave it be at this: you did that fella a HUGE favor. Thank God noone was hurt. That is a great miracle. Heres hoping karma takes action appropriatly :).

i think he has an idea, at least I hope he does. Seemed an alright kid.
That no one was hurt is all that really matters. I'm just glad I was driving the Ramcharger and not my nice '69 Coronet!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I think what you did was a very nice gesture (Thank Heavens no one was hurt!).... what you described was purely an accident... weather was to blame!

My car was hit in the parking lot where I work. Messed up the front end, drivers side (busted headlight). The way it was hit, did a bit of damage. I was very lucky to have an HONEST person come in the store to contact the owner of the vehicle. However, I did not pay attn to the page and went I left to go home, I saw my car and was like "WTFridge?".... this person went beyond what I expected and left me a note! My co-worker told me when I went back into the store to tell them I got hit, that they had paged for the owner....

Hubby called the number, we brought my car in and it was fixed....for free! The man that hit my car worked for a body repair shop!!! They did an awesome job, no insurance was called and everyone was happy! And I would recommend this company for body repairs! You could NOT tell my car was hit and the paint job was a perfect match!

And it's nice to see someone not jump on the OH I'M GONNA' SUE YOU trend!

Glad to hear all were safe! The rains here yesterday was like someone opened a water faucet! TERRIBLE!
Annmarie

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Good job!. . .

-
-
-

on the silver. . . 4 40s, sounds like a Friday night for me four years ago.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha good story, and good thinking. :thumbsup:

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
In the spirit of the holidays I think you made someone's Christmas season a good one. Sure it probably should have been called in but I think you made a good call all things considered.
Now get out there & get some halves-- if karma does exist then you are due for some good CRH'ing.

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and I HATE dealing with cops and insurance. I prefer avoiding ANY contact with ANY gov't authority whenever possible. I can solve my own problems.
[/quote]

Smart move! I agree! :thumbsup:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Very nice gesture!
That kid will NEVER forget you.
I hope he returns the favor some day! :occasion14:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
"I'll whack the 1/4 with a BFH if I decide I need to."

Spoken like a tried `n true Mopar man, in the "old" days it was a resistor, voltage regulator and a BFH
sitting in the trunk of my various Chrysler products.

Great thing you did, kudos! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
markmopar

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
Spoken like a tried `n true Mopar man, in the "old" days it was a resistor, voltage regulator and a BFH
sitting in the trunk of my various Chrysler products.

I still keep those in all my Mopars!

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Yea, I hope this kid doesn't get this nice break from you, and turn around and claim his car got hit in a parking lot. That is kinda cheesy on his part, not to mention insurance fraud comes out of all of our pockets. Good job to you though for making a quick assessment of the situation and not making a big deal out of it. Kinda old school... Good luck, Gpurs...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread