Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember exactly where I was when I found my first Merc from CRH. A memory I'll never forget, and you'll always remember where you were too!

-Codes

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Codes said:
I remember exactly where I was when I found my first Merc from CRH. A memory I'll never forget, and you'll always remember where you were too!

-Codes

really? I already forgot where I was....or maybe a merc just wasn't memorable enough....

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first merc!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
:thumbsup: - nice find. Love to find those. I'm trying to complete a silver roosevelt collection from CRH so I've found a few of the mercury dimes. Still surprises me when I see them. Once I got three in a hand roll. :icon_sunny: I don't usually do the fed rolls of them as they are a little time consuming but if my halve dollar orders get messed up I'll grab a box or two of dimes for a quick fix...

Maine_Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maine_Jim said:
:thumbsup: - nice find. Love to find those. I'm trying to complete a silver roosevelt collection from CRH so I've found a few of the mercury dimes. Still surprises me when I see them. Once I got three in a hand roll. :icon_sunny: I don't usually do the fed rolls of them as they are a little time consuming but if my halve dollar orders get messed up I'll grab a box or two of dimes for a quick fix...

Maine_Jim

I am trying to complete a silver roosevelt collection from only CRHing too...only 7 left (1949, 1949-D, 1949-S, 1955, 1955-D, 1955-S, 1958) Well, technically I could call the 1955-D found, but it happened to be one my son got and its in his collection so I don't typically count it.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've got 18 to go so now I'm starting to get a lot of doubles and triples. Got a 53-d today, that makes three of those. I've only been searching a couple months for dimes so got a pretty good start on it. Only done a few boxes mostly concentrating on the hand rolls. I'm sure I'll have to do quantity of boxes if I want to complete it via the CRH. Might have to break down and trade out some of the surplus for the toughies...only got some many hours to put into this hobby.

Maine_Jim

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
GREAT JOB ON THE MERC!!! they have escaped me so far. But I havent done a huge amounts of dime searching. YET!!! ;D

maine_Jim said:
Might have to break down and trade out some of the surplus for the toughies...only got some many hours to put into this hobby.

Maine_Jim
Some die hard CRHers wont trade to complete sets but I am all for it. I have a dealer here in town that will trade me coin for coin in circulated grade for most coins, i had to add a few to get my 1939D nickel thou.

***ABOUT HOW MANY BOXES DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE TO COMPLETE A SILVER DIME SET? Is one silver dime per box(CWI ROLLED) average.

Thanks,
Jason

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:
Some die hard CRHers wont trade to complete sets but I am all for it. I have a dealer here in town that will trade me coin for coin in circulated grade for most coins, i had to add a few to get my 1939D nickel thou.

***ABOUT HOW MANY BOXES DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE TO COMPLETE A SILVER DIME SET? Is one silver dime per box(CWI ROLLED) average.

Thanks,
Jason

I don't have a problem with trading to complete a set, but I wouldn't call it completed via CRH only. I just keep a separate record of what was found via CRH from what I own.

Granted I haven't done much trading either. My goal is not a single set , but a roll of each year/mintmark which makes it much more complicated as it takes awhile to have extras of any one variety.

As far as how long it would take to accumulate a silver dime set...here's a statistical analysis that will give some idea...

Step 1) Add up all the silver roosevelts that were ever minted (1946-1964). The total is 6,615,455,390.

Step 2) Divide the mintage of each variety by the total minted. The values will be the percentage of the total each variety represents.

Step 3) Find which variety has the smallest percentage (also the lowest mintage). For silver Roosevelts, that is the 1955 from Philadelphia.

Step 4) Divide all the percentages by the smallest percentage. This is will give you a statistical breakdown of how many of each variety will be found when you find the hardest one to find.

Step 5) Add up the totals of how many of each variety as determined in step 4. This will tell you approximately how many total silver roosevelts you will need to find to find a complete set.

As a result of the simple statistical analysis in steps 1 through 5, one would need to find approximately 516 silver roosevelts to complete a single set from CRH.

Of course my logic does not take into account a few of the more complex factors such as the slow loss of coins over time such that the 1946 is harder to find than the 1964 just because they have been in circulation longer.

It doesn't account for the distribution of different mintmarks in various parts of the country. East coast CRHers will struggle with low mintage San Francisco coins while west coast CRHers may struggle with low mintage Philadelphia coins.

It also does not take into account that a higher percentage of the lower mintage coins have probably been taken out of circulation over the years due to people collecting a single set which potentially could have a big impact. For example, if say 5,000,000 of each variety were removed from circulation due to collectors completing sets and the math in steps 1 through 5 were repeated, one would now need to find 814 silver roosevelts to complete a single set from CRH instead of just 516.

The last step of determining how many boxes would depend on your find rate. Assuming 1 silver roosevelt dime per box (ignoring mercs and other silver), the math becomes easy.

So in the unrealistic world where you only need 516 silver roosevelt dimes, you would need to search 516 boxes or $129,000 worth of dimes.

I think the second answer is more realistic...814 silver roosevelts needed....or $203,500 worth of dimes searched.

On the plus side, after searching $203,500 worth of dimes if your find rate of mercury dimes is like mine, you will probably also have a roll of mercury dimes to show for it.

Hope that helps.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
GMan00001 said:
Shake-N-Bake said:

Thanks,
Jason

I don't have a problem with trading to complete a set, but I wouldn't call it completed via CRH only. I just keep a separate record of what was found via CRH from what I own.

Granted I haven't done much trading either. My goal is not a single set , but a roll of each year/mintmark which makes it much more complicated as it takes awhile to have extras of any one variety.

As far as how long it would take to accumulate a silver dime set...here's a statistical analysis that will give some idea...

Step 1) Add up all the silver roosevelts that were ever minted (1946-1964). The total is 6,615,455,390.

Step 2) Divide the mintage of each variety by the total minted. The values will be the percentage of the total each variety represents.

Step 3) Find which variety has the smallest percentage (also the lowest mintage). For silver Roosevelts, that is the 1955 from Philadelphia.

Step 4) Divide all the percentages by the smallest percentage. This is will give you a statistical breakdown of how many of each variety will be found when you find the hardest one to find.

Step 5) Add up the totals of how many of each variety as determined in step 4. This will tell you approximately how many total silver roosevelts you will need to find to find a complete set.

As a result of the simple statistical analysis in steps 1 through 5, one would need to find approximately 516 silver roosevelts to complete a single set from CRH.

Of course my logic does not take into account a few of the more complex factors such as the slow loss of coins over time such that the 1946 is harder to find than the 1964 just because they have been in circulation longer.

It doesn't account for the distribution of different mintmarks in various parts of the country. East coast CRHers will struggle with low mintage San Francisco coins while west coast CRHers may struggle with low mintage Philadelphia coins.

It also does not take into account that a higher percentage of the lower mintage coins have probably been taken out of circulation over the years due to people collecting a single set which potentially could have a big impact. For example, if say 5,000,000 of each variety were removed from circulation due to collectors completing sets and the math in steps 1 through 5 were repeated, one would now need to find 814 silver roosevelts to complete a single set from CRH instead of just 516.

The last step of determining how many boxes would depend on your find rate. Assuming 1 silver roosevelt dime per box (ignoring mercs and other silver), the math becomes easy.

So in the unrealistic world where you only need 516 silver roosevelt dimes, you would need to search 516 boxes or $129,000 worth of dimes.

I think the second answer is more realistic...814 silver roosevelts needed....or $203,500 worth of dimes searched.

On the plus side, after searching $203,500 worth of dimes if your find rate of mercury dimes is like mine, you will probably also have a roll of mercury dimes to show for it.

Hope that helps.

WOW!!!!!!!! GMAN you are the MAN! That is a great breakdown analysis. So I am going to figure on the $203,500 mark. Which puts me at 814 boxes. Which my goal is to complete a set in six months. So if I search 34 boxes a week I should be close. WOW that is 5 - 6 boxes of dimes a day... :-\ OK maybe it will take me 8 months. lol! But I did complete a Jefferson nickel set 1938 to 1961 in three weeks(except for a trade I made for a 1939D).

Thanks a again Gman that was great info.
Jason

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:
WOW!!!!!!!! GMAN you are the MAN! That is a great breakdown analysis. So I am going to figure on the $203,500 mark. Which puts me at 814 boxes. Which my goal is to complete a set in six months. So if I search 34 boxes a week I should be close. WOW that is 5 - 6 boxes of dimes a day... :-\ OK maybe it will take me 8 months. lol! But I did complete a Jefferson nickel set 1938 to 1961 in three weeks(except for a trade I made for a 1939D).

Thanks a again Gman that was great info.
Jason

Again, this is just a statistical or average method. Anyone could get lucky at any time and be done in a day or have the opposite and have it take much longer.

Hmmm... just for fun I ran the same numbers to complete the Jefferson nickels set from 1938-1959 (I don't keep data on 1960 or 1961 so this just made it easier).

Assuming the ideal method used to get 516 for dimes, it would take 1341 Jefferson nickels between 1938 and 1959 to complete the set. My find rate for nickels this year has been about 27.8 pre-1960 Jefferson nickels per $100. This then equates to about 48 boxes of nickels to complete the set.

Running the numbers again assuming 1.3 million nickel sets have been pulled out of circulation changes the number of nickels needed to 2591. This would mean about 93 boxes would need to be searched to complete the set.

The math is obviously not perfect as I have searched the equivalent of 136+ boxes of nickels this year and have not completed the set (2 short). But it does appear to be at least approximately correct. My guess is the number of sets pulled from circulation is higher than what I guessed which will push the total number needed higher to complete the set.

The same problem could occur in dimes as well.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Merc Tank. What was the result of your GF's box?

GMan - Amazing stats! I just don't know how you do this.... :icon_scratch:.

I know there are some folks who get extra satisfaction out of putting a set together from CRH'ing only and yes, that is one heck of an accomplishment. Kudos to you who fall into this category. We all have different goals in this hobby.

Personally, I will trade to complete a set because my goal is just that....to get a set put together. For those who fall into the category I am in and want to trade to complete a set let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I can help you. I don't mind.

SNB - The local dealer here will do the same thing about swapping circulated coin for coin to complete sets. Although you will not find the key dates in his buckets but the common dates are there. I have never taken him up on his offer yet but maybe one day when I have more time I will.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think you are pretty close on your numbers. I was lucky and scored the 55 dime early. Being on the east coast I am missing most of the D's and S coins. I'm still not giving up yet. Maybe I'll hit a solid roll or two. My best on dimes has been three in a roll twice. Expense wise, I figured adding it to my bank hopping activities for halves would lower my total travel expenses. Seems you can always get dimes so when I get skunked on halves I move on to the dimes. I now ask the tellers for both when I approach them. Also it quickly identifies an unwilling teller. If they won't even search for the dimes then you know they are either lazy a$$ employees who don't like CRH's or fellow silver miners. I prefer them to be fellow silver miners and have a number of locations where they have told me they search. I will only ask for coins they don't search for and will even ask them about their recent finds. I have to admit I actually go into a couple banks where these unwilling tellers are and ask them for coins just for the fun of it...is that bad? :icon_scratch:

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread