Sealed Canvas Bags of halves and dollars?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I was bank hopping today and asked for anything unusual. The teller went to the vault and returned with a couple sealed canvas bags of 2005-p&d halves. They were $100 each so I grabbed them. She then pulled out some sealed $250 bags of $1 gold coins. Washington and Golden along with some solid fed rolls. Anyone ever do anything with these. They are priced pretty high on the US Mint page. But priced at face value I know it is a no lose proposition but still I had to drop an extra $1000 if I wanted all the bags. The teller said they had been there for months so come on back and pick them up later in the week. What do you think about ebaying the bags. Don't see any of them moving on ebay... ???
http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=13896&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=17238
Maine_Jim

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are straight from the mint, they may have great errors because they would not be sorted out by rolling machines that would kick them out. I've heard they can be sold for more than face to coin stores too...

HH
-Gc

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it depends on how much you want to monkey with them.

If you like to pay to grade coins, you may find a couple high grade ones worth submitting in a bag like that or like someone else mentioned....a significant error or two.

The other possibility is to call around to local coin shops before you buy them and see if they have any interest. If both the bank and coin shop are close, maybe you can make a few bucks for a few minutes worth of effort.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Hi Jim,

The mintage on the 2005 was pretty high for NIFC but I think they are worth buying and flipping. I can see a local dealer paying $120 for the bag. Also the Golden dollar and Washington are worth getting so you can look for errors such as the no edge printing. Depending on the date the Golden dollars might be the best chance of making a good profit.

65GT350

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Also the Golden dollar and Washington are worth getting so you can look for errors such as the no edge printing. Depending on the date the Golden dollars might be the best chance of making a good profit.
The golden dollar :icon_scratch:....do you mean the sacajawea?
i heard them call the no edge dollar the Goldless dollar....because of the missing "In God We Trust" on the edge......sounds pretty cool.....Godless dollar ;D ;D

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Well sir i cant say that i agree with the term "Godless Dollar" sounding cool, but the coins that were errored without the rim stamp were not intentional, of course, but in fact a legitimate error. Both, the Sac dollar and the pres dollar are gold in color, unlike the S.B. Anthony dollar that was clad looking. The Sac. dollars were the dollars that came out in between the S.B. Anthony dollar and the presidential dollar that started with Washington and will go all the way through to current i assume. i am not sure how far they plan on taking the pres. dollars. sure would hate to see a coin with the pres of the future on it. :(

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well sir i cant say that i agree with the term "Godless Dollar" sounding cool
Sorry Johnny...didn't mean to offend anyone....i have a $1 coin book....and every bank i go to has them....but i just can't seem to get into filling it...dunno...maybe its the size i don't like :icon_scratch:

XX

Jan 11, 2008
All of the items OP listed were at one point bought from the mint at a premium. Someone probably just cashed them in as dealers aren't inclined to pay too much for this stuff. The mint saturated the market and many of the items took forever to sell out.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mistergee said:
Also the Golden dollar and Washington are worth getting so you can look for errors such as the no edge printing. Depending on the date the Golden dollars might be the best chance of making a good profit.
The golden dollar :icon_scratch:....do you mean the sacajawea?
i heard them call the no edge dollar the Goldless dollar....because of the missing "In God We Trust" on the edge......sounds pretty cool.....Godless dollar ;D ;D

Actually, the $20 St. Gaudens gold coin did not contain the phrase "in God we trust" in 1907 and partially in 1908. This is because pres Roosevelt (Teddy) felt it was an affront to God to put that phrase on money. Here is a quote attributed to him:

In a letter to William Boldly on November 11, 1907, President Roosevelt wrote: "My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege... it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements."

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread