Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:
What's a fair asking price for old silver coins?
I may seem cheap (I am in this to make some extra money) but lately I start with 5 times face value and then only go to 6 if I have to. I have paid as low as 2 times face. Remember you have overhead. I have a business license (just got the bill yesterday) car expenses and my time. I love my part time job. :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering where silver is at
I'd say Spot.
another year or so down the line you will probably Double your investment
& Not come of as trying to make money off him.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan said:
dandow20 said:
What's a fair asking price for old silver coins?
I may seem cheap (I am in this to make some extra money) but lately I start with 5 times face value and then only go to 6 if I have to. I have paid as low as 2 times face. Remember you have overhead. I have a business license (just got the bill yesterday) car expenses and my time. I love my part time job. :thumbsup:
I meet many folks in my line of work, and sometimes during small talk bring up this hobby. Sometimes they will bring out the silver for show, or "what's it worth?"
I always offer 10 X face if it's something I'm interested in. It's always nope, no thanks, as if I'm taking advantage or something, LOL!

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I think it depends on what you are going to be doing with the coins. Are you going to put them in your silver pile (8.5 - 9.5 x FV) or are you going to put them in your book and start a collection (9.5 - 11 x FV or more depending on the condition. One thing I recommend is not to offer a price until you see the coins. I find that most people think you are low balling them when you offer spot sight unseen. They feel that their coins are worth more because they are older and they don't realize how many were made.

Best of luck
65GT350

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread