Street Coin Hunting

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Hi Gang. If you are like me, and you must be if you are on this site, you can't get enough of coins and take them any way you can get them. My favorite method is metal detecting, but the finds come slow for me here in New York City. I have been doing Coin Roll hunting for about 5 weeks and I am enjoying it tremendously. About two months ago I started paying attention to what was lying in the streets. Well here in New York City we have plenty of people who are hurrying about, never looking down, and if they saw a coin would either be to busy or too cool to stop and pick it up. The result for me is in just over 2 months I have picked up 106 coins. Curious to see if any of you partake in this pastime. I would imagine you would need to be in a big city or some other high activity spot to get any results. Love to here someone elses imput on this. Merc 63.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love street, sidewalk, parking lot, etc. hunting. Next year I'm gonna keep track of all this found money. We should all trade ideas about the best places to "ground hunt," like below drive-thru windows and such.

Glad you brought this up Mercury.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i too stop and pick up any coins i find on the street....once saw a woman in front of me at the Mcdonalds drive-thru recieve her change and promptly drop it on the ground out the window....picked up 68 cents on that one
let's just say I've had single days with over 1,000 coins found.
on the ground :icon_scratch:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day, i picked up 30 pennies

HH
-GC

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
In 2007 I turned in over 80 dollars of change I had picked up. Unfortunately most of that went into the gas tank. Love coins and will get them any way I can. If there were a shiny quarter in a pile of dog stuff....Lets just say I would have to think about it...then I would probably pick it up. Sick? Yes..Twisted? Yes Umm am I the only one on this forum that would do this....probably not.

-Golden Silver

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
golden silver said:
In 2007 I turned in over 80 dollars of change I had picked up. Unfortunately most of that went into the gas tank. Love coins and will get them any way I can. If there were a shiny quarter in a pile of dog stuff....Lets just say I would have to think about it...then I would probably pick it up. Sick? Yes..Twisted? Yes Umm am I the only one on this forum that would do this....probably not.

-Golden Silver

LMAO , that is funny GS and probably true I am sure you are not the only one , Ed

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
mistergee said:
i too stop and pick up any coins i find on the street....once saw a woman in front of me at the Mcdonalds drive-thru recieve her change and promptly drop it on the ground out the window....picked up 68 cents on that one

Not necessarily on the ground or street, however they are definitely found. Depends on how dirty you want to get.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago my friends would laugh at me for picking up coins on the ground. This was long before I ever got into metal detecting or CRH-ing.

At one point when the guys used to hang out they would throw their pocket change on my driveway and front yard. They would say "Hey Scott, check this out" while showing me a bunch of pennies and a few nickels, then they would give them a toss. One time after wards I had a pocket full of their tossed change and we had stopped for a pop (a soda for you non-Michiganders), my one friend that was with me had no money left in his wallet. I said "Lookie I got enough to buy me one" and I did. My friend went thirsty-just to teach him a lesson. He never threw any change again after that.

When I got my first detector it went nuts with all the clad just below the surface. To this day I can still find and occasional clad coin in my yard that I can attribute to one of my not-too-bright friends.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Scott (Mich) said:
Years ago my friends would laugh at me for picking up coins on the ground. This was long before I ever got into metal detecting or CRH-ing.

At one point when the guys used to hang out they would throw their pocket change on my driveway and front yard. They would say "Hey Scott, check this out" while showing me a bunch of pennies and a few nickels, then they would give them a toss. One time after wards I had a pocket full of their tossed change and we had stopped for a pop (a soda for you non-Michiganders), my one friend that was with me had no money left in his wallet. I said "Lookie I got enough to buy me one" and I did. My friend went thirsty-just to teach him a lesson. He never threw any change again after that.

When I got my first detector it went nuts with all the clad just below the surface. To this day I can still find and occasional clad coin in my yard that I can attribute to one of my not-too-bright friends.

Silly guys you know, but you taught them in the end!

Coins are great, but here is my only regret. We find so many coins in the road, so consider this. 100-300 years ago roads were dirt. Coins fell in the roads then same as they do now. But those coins are unreachable because all of those roads are paved now. Sad but true. I know of a few 300 year old dirt roads near here, and I breifly hunted them not long ago. In a miniute hunt I found a tiny button 1 inch in the soft dirt of the road. I will be hutning that road much more thuroughly next time.

Anthony

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
....once saw a woman in front of me at the Mcdonalds drive-thru recieve her change and promptly drop it on the ground out the window....picked up 68 cents on that one
Heard this on the news last month, a lady dropped her change at the drive thru and almost killed herself.

She opened the door, leaned out to the ground and her foot slipped off the brake onto the gas. I will let your imagination fill in the rest. :o

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
DrDetector said:
mistergee said:

Not necessarily on the ground or street, however they are definitely found. Depends on how dirty you want to get.
i assume u mean the sewer ? i used to live in a town that had storm sewers all connected. there was an area inside which we called the falls. in the tunnell underground.it was a pretty big chamber about 20 x 10. all the coins would gather there. we would find hundreds.i dunno bout thousands tho. then one day there was a big release of water somewhere in the system.luckily it was down tunnel of us. but we got mighty scared.and never went back

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
That is a good idea I usually do it too My wife breaks my shoes but Lets keep totals!!
Hey at drive throughs I am going to use an antenna or collapsable magntic pick up with a gob of funtac or wad of duct tape on the end. Dude Im into it man!! may also come in hady if you feel funny about bending over for the coins...Maybe some dude will check out your A$$ LMAO....
Gerald

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
Hey, don't forget to report your finds as income at tax time! Happy Holidays!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to keep records of my "found money" this year....though I included anything i got for free...whether its off the street or in the reject slot of the coin machine or even on the inside reject slot.

Most of my found money comes from coin machines...

For 2008 my totals were (I'll adjust if I find more):
$10.42 on 114 coins (Canadian included in the 114) and 104 Non-Canadian foreign coins

Honestly, I am sure the total was higher as I know I didn't make note of every coin I picked up....and I have no qualms about picking stuff up off the floor, out of the garbage can near the self-serve coin machine, etc.. :)

Added 12 Foreign coins today (12-26-08) from an inside reject slot of the coin machine....
12 Foreign (France, 1 Euro Cent (1999(2)), Germany, 1 Euro Cent (2004-F(2), 2004-G), Spain, 1 Euro Cent (1999(3), 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006)

Also was given some coins by another teller...although not on the street..its free money....those ones were
2 Canadian Quarters (1995, 2004-P Poppy)
1 Canadian Penny (1993)
2 Foreign (Finland, 5 Euro Cents (2001), France, 1 Franc (1977))

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
when skateboarding as a teen we would go thru the collection baskets for the car vacs at the gas stations for change to buy sodas with. We did very well it wasnt uncommon to get 10 bucks in one bin. Nowadays I see they lock some of them,but free money if you dont mind gettin a little dusty .

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
You guys are all crazy...

Now where was that dog poo with the coin in it?

~Dave

In my back yard :thumbsup:

I was training my black lab to sniff out cash money and then my mom started finding bills in the dogie do in the back yard. :icon_scratch:
She would hose it down and dry it up. :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread