Type sets

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Anybody out there put together a type set from CRH ? In my less than two months this is what I have in my set so far:

Lincoln Wheatie
V Nickel
Pre 1960 Jeff
Mercury Dime
Silver Rosie
Silver Washington
Franklin half
90% Kennedy
40% Kennedy
Kennedy Proof

I don't collect any clad (except for proofs) or variations. I figure my next best possibilities are a War Nickel and a Buffalo Nickel. After that I am in the Barber era ( including Indian Head Pennies) and I suspect those are tough. Anyone have the probabilities on the next group of coins I still need ? What else should I be gunning for ? Also, let me know if and what you have in your CRH sets. Merc 63

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've covered the 20th Century pretty well, except for the Barber dime, Morgan and Peace dollars.

I'll bet your next addition (after the war nick and buffalo) will be the Indian Head cent. They tend to have a slightly higher frequency than Barber coinage. And is it ever sweet when they turn up!

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
For my type set I have found through CRHing:

copper-nickel IHC
bronze IHC
Lincoln Wheat
Steel Lincoln Wheat
Lincoln Memorial

Silver 3 cent

V Nickel
Buffalo Nickel
Jefferson Nickel
Wartime Jefferson Nickel

Mercury Dime
Roosevelt Dime

Standing Liberty Quarter
Washington Quarter

Barber Half
Walking Liberty Half
Franklin Half
Kennedy Half 40%
Kennedy Half 90%

Peace Dollar
Eisenhower Dollar
Susan B Anthony Dollar
Sacagawea Dollar
Presidential Dollar

I have found proof versions of: Jefferson nickel, Franklin Half, Kennedy Half

I suppose if I had to guess, that the next type coin I discover would be either a barber dime, a seated half or something random in a reject slot like a large cent. We can only hope, eh?

OP
OP
M

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Dr. Detector - that is quite the impressive collection. Getting that large cent would have to be a stroke of luck. Silver 3 cent is crazy, was it mixed in with a dime roll ? You list is a good reminder for me to hit the dollars at some point, a few easy ones there for me to get. Even though most are not silver they are really nice coins. And I should be on the lookout for the proof Jeffs as well. One coin which I forgot to mention, which I am really gunning for is the Walking Liberty Half. I have got quite a ways to get my set into your category. Good luck with that Barber dime, it seems like it is obtainable. Also, a shield nickel would be great for you to find.

Merc 63

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Thanks. The silver 3 cent piece was mixed in with coin counter junk (trash, buttons, foreign coins, lint, screws, etc.). Found that earlier this year. I suppose if you include composition differences, it may be easier for me to locate a 40% silver Eisenhower dollar to add to my type collection. Also I don't have a proof dollar of any sort, which appear to be [relatively] easy to find when searching dollar coins. If I can locate some more large dollars maybe I'll get lucky. I have never found a proof cent, dime or quarter, which could be another type variety to find. If you keep at it you'll find more types. I have been CRHing for over 10 years pretty steadily but over the last 3 years have picked up a lot since I've gotten out of college and set up a good routine for buying and dumping, and have the funds to do it on a big enough scale. Persistence is the key, because eventually we all get lucky.

OP
OP
M

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
That silver 3 center must have been a shock

Com halves are also good ones which I wasn't even thinking about. Plenty of them too.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
mistergee said:
what about commemorative halfs?

True, if you include that realm of the coin industry then yes, there a ton more to possibly get. I personally only have found 2 Ellis Island commemoratives, nothing else. Also I suppose a silver eagle could be a possibility in a teller drawer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread