Clad proof half dollars......what do you do with them?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Since starting this hobby a year ago I have accumulated 82 clad proof half dollars (S mint mark) and a few silver ones too. Some of them are in excellent shape and others have been in circulation for a while. I have almost every year from 1971-2006 and many duplicates of some years. I would like to try and sell them but I'm not sure how much of a market there is out there (I know they are worth at least fifty cents).

What have some of you done? Sold them, released them back into the wild, or just keep them?

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I keep them to trade them to people who are trying to put a set of them together. It helps the both of us. If you have so many, I advocate for you trying to make a set of them. You seem to be well on your way to a half-dollar master set.

The market for them as far as ebay and such is quite small and has very little activity. You won't turn much of a profit at all selling them there. Maybe if you get a solid roll of one date... or sell them as mixed proof date rolls you can make a couple bucks though.

~Dave

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say mixed roll proof's on ebay if you want to sell them. But if it were me, I would put them in an album and make a collection and keep them.

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Proof= S mint mark, right?

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yar... S mint mark = proof... as far as Kennedy halves go. You always have the older halves and coins, pre Kennedy years and such, that come with NO mintmark.

There are silver and clad versions for some years... and just clad versions for others with the Kennedy's.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Unless the proofs are in pristine condition or contain silver, I throw them back to the wild. I use to save all of them, but I found out that even ones in great shape are not really worth much if you try to sell them (to a coin store at least, dont know about ebay). For building a set I dont want one that is scratched or otherwise looks circulated.

I just found a 2007 proof that looks brand new so it goes into an Airtite holder. Also got a 1976 S (non proof) 40% silver this past week. My coin dealer tells me they are only worth about the same as any other 40%, but I would like to make a roll of them if I keep at this long enough. I have 4 of them now I have found.

If you need a particular proof half for a set, it is worth buying the whole proof year set to get the half. Most years are not that expensive (at least in the Kennedy half years). Some of the proof sets with Franklins can be a bit pricey.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
The Bicen. silver versions of the halves came in pretty much 50/50 percentages between proof strikes and circulation strikes. So Jim nabbed one of the circulation strikes.

The S mint breakdown for the bicen. halves is something like:
7 million proof strikes (clad)
6 million circulation strikes (silver)
5 million proof strikes (silver)

~Dave

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i wish i had a nickle for every bi-cen i have found so far and have yet to nab any of the silver ones....
thanks for the info Dave :thumbsup:

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
No problem sir. As far as bicens go... I would like to nab one of the non mint-marked proofs. =)

Only four of them in existence. ;)

~Dave

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
The Bicen. silver versions of the halves came in pretty much 50/50 percentages between proof strikes and circulation strikes. So Jim nabbed one of the circulation strikes.

The S mint breakdown for the bicen. halves is something like:
7 million proof strikes (clad)
6 million circulation strikes (silver)
5 million proof strikes (silver)

~Dave

and about a billion P & D clad ones... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread