Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from my penny collection, I didn't find in CRH but I did find it on the floor of my english class in high school back in 1996 or 1997. I was wondering because it looks like 2 different metals on the surface. The grain runs the same direction all the way through the coin. Meaning the direction is in the same angle on both sides... :icon_scratch: Its not a scratch, look at some of the lettering, its in low spots too and not on some high spots.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 313

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly not an error expert, but it may just be a slight metal impurity.

HH
-GC

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no lamination on cents and especially early copper. As you all know the newer cents are bacically copper plated zinc.

I agree with goldencoin. Most likely the company that made the copper sheet that is used for punching out the blank planchets didn't mix their metal very well. Cents are 95% copper. So you are probably looking at the 5% that did not get mixed in too well.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
cyberdan said:
There is no lamination on cents and especially early copper. As you all know the newer cents are bacically copper plated zinc.

I agree with goldencoin. Most likely the company that made the copper sheet that is used for punching out the blank planchets didn't mix their metal very well. Cents are 95% copper. So you are probably looking at the 5% that did not get mixed in too well.

While I can't tell from the picture whether it is a lamination error or post mint damage. By definition a lamination error is caused by impurities in the blanks so there are lamination errors in pre-82 cents as well as 90% silver coins.

65GT350

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not lamination, it looks to be what some call streaking. Lamination is where there is a thin layer of metal actually peeling off of the planchet, or in some cases has completely peeled off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread