Silver Quarters

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
So here's the story. Yesterday I was dumping and as I sometimes have to do I let this guy cut in in between bags. He was a fellow copper puller, silver sorter and we conversed while he ran coins. What he said about quarters is he usually gets one silver out of about every box. My thinkin is BS but he is runnin quarters and I recall Coolpix post about the vendor and his rolls of silver saved. Anyways when I got done dumping I got in line to be paid and there he is walking out with another box of quarters and box of pennies. I generally scrounge a half dozen boxes of dimes on Sundays which out of the last six boxes I got one sliver so I figure why not. I bought a box of quarters there, stopped at another branch and got another then went home. 4th roll in I got one- that was all for two boxes but I still had time to dump at yet another branch and got another- O and a box of dimes for grins. The 3rd quarter box didn't give any but so far I'm one for 3, got a Rosie and a Merc out of the dime box. HH Mark
DSCN1667_edited.jpg

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Grats on the quarter and dimes. Those quarters are so rare that I have long since given up on them!

One out of every box does not seem right at all... unless you are in some sort of hot zone, lol. Or if he said he averages that, maybe he got a dream box or two in the past which really skewed the average up.

~Dave

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Well I'm gonna get a few more boxes just for grins- at least they're bigger than the dimes I been getting skunked on lately. Halves are the real deal, dimes and quarters just for fun. If I don't get any more silvers then I'll quit them. HH Mark

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, maybe I will try my luck at it... :thumbsup:

Silver Sniper

Dec 17, 2008
Some one mentioned 5 quarters out of 18,500.00 searched. Quarters are hard to find because they are big and you can notice the silver easily thus most have been poached, + quarters circulate unlike the halves. Dimes are small an no one pays attention to them. To me quarters are a waste of time when you could be stacking dimes and halves or even war nicks.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well the only benefit I see with quarters is that you only have to look at 4 to 10 ratio, and the machine counts quarters faster = less time at the dump bank.

Plus you would have to find 2 1/2 dimes for every quarter you find to make it even. Per $ amont in this case

So you need to search 2 boxes of dimes for every 1 box of quarters. I f you find 1 dime per box and 1 quarter a box you should come out ahead with the quarters.

Providing the ratio remains 1 coin per box the quarters would be more efficient. .....LOL

Mojo

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Mark, are you sure it wasn't a "Dime Bag" instead ? MC & HNY, Jim

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
coolpix9 said:
Mark, are you sure it wasn't a "Dime Bag" instead ? MC & HNY, Jim
2 funny! Made ME all paranoid just thinkin about it haha.
Halves treated ME better- got 16 40's and one '64, but I did 6 boxes. HH Mark

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Well Santa didn't put a silver in ME quarter box today so now I'm 1 for 5 boxes. Pulled a silver Rosie from the first roll out of a dime box so have high hopes for them today. Have one '64 showing out of 4 half boxes so know it will be a silve Christmas for ME. Merry Christmas everyone. HH Mark :icon_king:

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I had decided to do one more box, if I got skunked then no more. Where I dumped this AM I got a box of quarters and 2 of dimes- happen to be the same branch that gave up a silver quarter last Sunday. I got a 1932 ugly but silver Washington out of the box. That makes ME 2 out of 6 boxes. I spect I'll continue one box a week from that branch. HH all, Mark

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that 32

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread