Dime Questions

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
A box of dimes is $250.

The average silver ratio is one silver dimer per box of $250.

If the bank has boxes on hand depends on how big of a bank they are and how much business they handle. The branches that service all the companies have lots of boxes on hand.

I've run into the issue of banks with no boxes, banks with boxes but that refuse to give them out because I'm not a "business customer", and the obvious one of being refused the boxes that they have because I am not a customer of their bank.

As far as boxes or handrolls, I highly recommend hand rolls or bags over boxes. A dream box of dimes is almost impossible to get, while a dream stash of handrolls is actually possible. From my personal searching, I average (without counting insane caches) more from handrolls/bags than I do from boxes.

~Dave

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Dave,

Thanks for the info. How do you go about getting bags? What do they cost? Where do you find them,at banks with counting machines?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, once got an entire handroll of mercs

HH
-GC

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what exactly is a box? do the rolls contain all random dates? or is each roll going to be a certain date? im new to CRH and im just curious as to what to expect when i get my first box

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a half a roll of Mercs/Roosies mix in a machine-rolled roll. I imagine that it's easier to find a hand-rolled dream roll of silver dimes, but I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of finding a machine-rolled one.

-Codes

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coltdavis said:
So what exactly is a box? do the rolls contain all random dates? or is each roll going to be a certain date? im new to CRH and im just curious as to what to expect when i get my first box

A "box" is a box with 50 rolls in it.

Yes they are random dates, unless you get a box with all 2008.

Just try it out, you will see what its all about. Just take a big canvas bag or a big ziploc bag to put your clad in so you can dump them. :thumbsup:

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
My personal experinces are that I have better luck with machine rolled coins in all denominations except halves. All others pennies, dimes, and nickels(don't do quarters) I like machine rolled better. Just my personal opinion but my stats are much better with machine rolls(CWI). Good luck with whatever you choose. But dont pass up machine rolls becuase you think they wont produce because they will bring you silver or wheats.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, there is the chance of finding gold and chrome-plateds, Mercs, Barbers, and even earlier coin in those machine rolls. AMC

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
After reading the posts on this subject I still have a couple of questions

What does "CWI" stand for?

Where would one get bags of dimes? Is this the bag the banks use to fill up what they counted on the coin counter? Is it something you order,like a box.

Are bags better producers?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Coin Wrap Inc. Just a company that wraps coins for some armored car companies.

Some armored car companies wrap their own.

To get a bag of dimes you need to find a bank that has a coin counter and offer to buy a bag when full. I have one bank that will sell me all they can do $1000 at a pop.

Last bag was two weeks ago. 8 rosies and a silver canadian dime.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan said:
Rich Hartford said:
Coin Wrap Inc. Just a company that wraps coins for some armored car companies.

Some armored car companies wrap their own.

To get a bag of dimes you need to find a bank that has a coin counter and offer to buy a bag when full. I have one bank that will sell me all they can do $1000 at a pop.

Last bag was two weeks ago. 8 rosies and a silver canadian dime.
For the last 6 months i've been able to buy $500 bags of customer-wrapped (dimes). AMC

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
For the most part Bags come from coin counting machines that a bank or credit union might have in their lobby like a coinstar machine.

But around here a bank may bag up returned coins that have been hand rolled. they must break open these rolls and fill a bag with $1000 dollars for dimes & quarters. $200 in nickles and $50 in penny's most of those bags might weigh 40 to 50 LBS.

That is usually they way a bank has to ship them out to Brinks in this area.

You might be able to get bags that way if you get hooked up with the right vault teller/bank.

But if a teller is put on this type of duty (cracking Hand Rolled Coins) bagging coin for shipping I would imagine a the only thing to make that job bearable to them would be cherrypicking silver as they are cracking open these rolls to fill the bag.

The count in this case does not have to accurate it just has to weigh a certain amount. The Armor car company have some sort of working agreement on the bags being fat or skinny (I mean give or take a buck or two)

That is why it's buyer beware when it comes to these kind of bags they will almost always be short of have other junk in them. It's the price you pay for the privilege of searching.

Most banks wont do this because they can't and wont guarantee the accuracy.

Now in another instance I actually had a teller hold two rolls of silver quarters for me wile doing the crack and bag gig recently. So they see what they are dumping and I would say a good percentage of tellers know about silver coins and will cherrypick. But there are some that don't.

That is the only way they make it into boxes.

Mojo

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Coinmojo is correct some banks break open customer rolls to send them back in a bag. I have a deal with a bank now that i buy customer rolls instead of them sending them back. The best advice I can say is that is something you want to do and can handle the volume go talk to the bank manager and tell them that you will take the customer rolls instead of them sending them back. It saves the bank the time to crack open the rolls(and not the chance to cherrypick) and it saves them the fee of sending them back to the carrier service. In my opinion it is a WIN WIN situation. But beware the volume I have commited to is about $3,000 a week in rolled change, and that is not excepting quarters they know I dont search quarters. Some banks might do this some might not. My main source branch loves it when I take all of there rolled change. They call me when they get a bunch and then I go pick them up. The funny thing is, is that I go home search it and then bring them back to another branch of the same bank. LOL!!!
Happy Holidays,
Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread