Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just waisting time here and I thought, what is the most economical way to get my silver... :icon_scratch: I wanted to know how many silver coins does it take to get an oz of silver. Well I did some checking and here is what I found.

I used http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html for the #.

Coin Ind wt. # needed cost
for an oz per oz
war nic. 0.0563oz 18 $0.90 There are 1.0127 troy ounces of silver in 18 silver war nickels
dime 0.0723oz 14 $1.40 There are 1.0127 troy ounces of silver in 14 silver dimes
quarter 0.1808oz 6 $1.50 There are 1.0851 troy ounces of silver in 6 silver quarters
40% 0.1479oz 7 $3.50 There are 1.0353 troy ounces of silver in 7 silver 40% half dollars
90% 0.3617oz 3 $1.50 There are 1.0851 troy ounces of silver in 3 silver 90% half dollars

As you can see, 1 oz of silver from coins can be very cheap. The lowest cost is from "war nickels", but that would take forever. Then we have dimes, $1.40 for an oz of silver. Quarters are good too, but sadly they are hard to come by in the wild. 40% half's are the most plentiful silver coins out there, but they also cost the most at $3.50 an oz. Lastly we have the 90% half's, they take the fewest coins to get an oz and at $1.50, you can't beat it. Oh well, I am just waisting time, enjoy... ;D

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Thanks, guess I never really thought about it. 3 havles............ That is pretty darn cheap! Thanks for posting!

Chris

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
This is the most profitable way to get silver, just also the slowest LOL. HH Mark
BTW I'll have to look at my spreadsheet and see how much my 912 cost ME this year. Yep way ahead.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well this year I recovered 149.33 oz and face cost to me was $385.40
silver value at friday's close was $1591.85

guess that works out real nice for me =)

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this year I recovered 19.9334 oz and face cost to me was $43.00
silver value at sunday's spot was $216.48

Not bad considering I started on 9/22/08. ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
TreasureFiend said:
I was just waisting time here and I thought, what is the most economical way to get my silver... :icon_scratch: I wanted to know how many silver coins does it take to get an oz of silver. Well I did some checking and here is what I found.

I used http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html for the #.

Coin Ind wt. # needed cost
for an oz per oz
war nic. 0.0563oz 18 $0.90 There are 1.0127 troy ounces of silver in 18 silver war nickels
dime 0.0723oz 14 $1.40 There are 1.0127 troy ounces of silver in 14 silver dimes
quarter 0.1808oz 6 $1.50 There are 1.0851 troy ounces of silver in 6 silver quarters
40% 0.1479oz 7 $3.50 There are 1.0353 troy ounces of silver in 7 silver 40% half dollars
90% 0.3617oz 3 $1.50 There are 1.0851 troy ounces of silver in 3 silver 90% half dollars

As you can see, 1 oz of silver from coins can be very cheap. The lowest cost is from "war nickels", but that would take forever. Then we have dimes, $1.40 for an oz of silver. Quarters are good too, but sadly they are hard to come by in the wild. 40% half's are the most plentiful silver coins out there, but they also cost the most at $3.50 an oz. Lastly we have the 90% half's, they take the fewest coins to get an oz and at $1.50, you can't beat it. Oh well, I am just waisting time, enjoy... ;D

I have said it all along, stick to the halves. Dimes and quarters are a waste of time. You may get lucky now and then, but generally your time would be better spent collecting aluminum cans.

Halves are not only more silver per coin, but also the most plentiful. Don't get me wrong, I wish every CRHer would quit halves and go to dimes and quarters so there would be more silver halves for me. But I have to be honest about this.

Jim

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I have said it all along, stick to the halves. Dimes and quarters are a waste of time. You may get lucky now and then, but generally your time would be better spent collecting aluminum cans.

Halves are not only more silver per coin, but also the most plentiful. Don't get me wrong, I wish every CRHer would quit halves and go to dimes and quarters so there would be more silver halves for me. But I have to be honest about this.

Jim

I would rather do halfs too, but silver ones are so few and far between around me that I am finding more silver searching dimes. Im still doing $4,000 - $6,000 a week in halfs, but there isn't as much silver as in other places.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
One thing you should consider if you are truly interested in getting the silver is the expense of extracting it. I think Jeweler Dave once posted about the high cost of the chemicals needed to extract silver in relationship to the actual amount of silver in 40% halves. That being the case I would guess that extracting the silver out of war nickels is also cost prohibitive.

Brian

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
CRHing is also the cheapest, where else are you going to get silver for face? ;D

Of course if you figure in your time doing it, the gas driving around and looking for it and dumping it, then it's probably more expensive than just buying it at spot. :P

But hey, what's the fun in just buying it? It's a hobby, right? :tongue3:

But finding it by metal detecting, it's free! :wink:

But finding silver in the ground is sorta rare, and each silver dime I found has probably cost me $125.00 apiece figuring gas, batteries for the detector, lunch, etc. :tard:

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
phillips24 said:
My personal understanding and reasoning is because it is a hobby you don't count your gas or your time.

You're a lucky soul if you honestly consider CRHing a hobby, as you would fishing, playing golf, etc.

I love finding silver. It actually is a rush to get a box that has lots, or now even a few, silver coins in it. The only thing I like about CRHing is finding silver coins, and maybe other keepers.

I hate getting skunked. I also hate taking back dumps. If this is really a hobby for you, then you should enjoy the whole process. I don't. If I go fishing and don't catch much, I don't feel bad like I do when I get a bunch of skunk boxes.

A simple test to see if it is really a hobby is after you get about 4 or more skunk boxes in a row, how do you feel? Or after some skunk boxes do you for a moment think you wasted your time, or shouldn't have gotten the boxes. When you talk to non-CRHers (family, etc.), do you tell them how many boxes you get a week, or how much time you spend CRHing?

For me it is now sort of an addiction, not a hobby.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
phillips24 said:
My personal understanding and reasoning is because it is a hobby you don't count your gas or your time.

You're a lucky soul if you honestly consider CRHing a hobby, as you would fishing, playing golf, etc.

I love finding silver. It actually is a rush to get a box that has lots, or now even a few, silver coins in it. The only thing I like about CRHing is finding silver coins, and maybe other keepers.

I hate getting skunked. I also hate taking back dumps. If this is really a hobby for you, then you should enjoy the whole process. I don't. If I go fishing and don't catch much, I don't feel bad like I do when I get a bunch of skunk boxes.

A simple test to see if it is really a hobby is after you get about 4 or more skunk boxes in a row, how do you feel? Or after some skunk boxes do you for a moment think you wasted your time, or shouldn't have gotten the boxes. When you talk to non-CRHers (family, etc.), do you tell them how many boxes you get a week, or how much time you spend CRHing?

For me it is now sort of an addiction, not a hobby.

Jim

I am most definitely in the hobby category...though I rarely get skunked, but even when I have been skunked I don't feel bad about it as its due to happen. The only time I feel like I wasted my time is when I get a full box of brand new coins like 2000-P for halves because I know there is zero chance of finding anything prior to searching. I really don't mind the rejects back. Sure its inconvenient, but since I spread it around that is my chance to ask for halves at those banks I don't frequent once every month or two.

I DO talk about how much I CRH to family and close friends. Maybe not all the time, but more on a grand scale....ie...how many coins I looked through this year, etc. Though I occasionally will mention a weekly amount if there is something odd or unique about it.

And I also really enjoy road trips since they are more of an adventure of the "You never know what you will find" category. Funny thing for me is that I rarely go to coin shows or buy or sell coins. I pretty much have stuck to CRHing as a means of increasing my collection. For me its all about the thrill of the hunt.

As a side note....growing up, I used to essentially see sports cards in the same light and buy boxes of those and open the packs and sort them out and search through them to find what I was looking for. I stopped collecting them much my last couple years of high school and through college (other priorities :) ), and when I briefly got back into it after college, I realized the market for sports cards had changed and what I had enjoyed about it became much more difficult and instead of buying somthing that held its value, it felt like mainly buying something that depreciated so I stopped again...I may still get back into it when/if I ever have time (not likely...though my son has started so I may help him a bit, but do it using a different method). I still have 98% of what I had growing up...I did manage to sell a few sets before the sports cards market crashed, but not as many as I had planned.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I went 42 out of 45 boxes as SKUNKS on halves.

Good thing I consider it a hobby! LOL.

And that's why I moved to pennies. ;D

I just ordered 5 more boxes of halves, but mostly because I now want the 2008 halves for my book. I figure I'll get them in this load. But I don't do halves by the box much, precisely because of the all the skunks out here in AZ. I get good results on hand rolled and ones saved by tellers fo rme though)

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i look at it as a hobby, and i wish i had started years ago instead of dabbling in some of the expensive hobbies i have tried in the past. i don't tell anyone around here about my hobby because i don't want anymore competition than i have. there is a monster searcher here in my town and i have found his dump bank. he leaves a calling card. a red or green mark across the face of the coin. overall i really enjoy this hobby and i always can't wait for my half boxes to arrive on thursday. i feel like a kid at christmas opening each roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions