Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang - you got all of that in a months time / AWESOME!!!!!!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
Started CRH just this past October.
Bought 4 boxes of 1/2s from my bank and after being skunked on the 1st 3 boxes the 4th box had:

1 Franklin
3 90% Kennedys
64 40% Kennedy's

Right before Christmas I ordered 2 boxes of pennies, 1 box of nickels and 1 box of dimes from my bank.
I got them home, opened them and discovered that they were all uncirculated fresh from the mint 2007 Philadelphia coins, every one of them.
I was really dissappointed.

Looks like another big bag for my dump bank this coming week.
On New Year's Eve, I stopped by a bank near my house I had never come into before and bought 4 rolls of 1/2s that they were glad to get out of the til before the end of the year. It was definately worth the stop, one roll was entirely 40% silver Kennedys and there were 4 1964 Kennedys in one of the other rolls.
A couple of tellers said they had some Eisenhowers at home they would bring in for me to buy also.
I also have 4 bank managers who have my name and number and call me when they have 1/2s, Eisenhowers and 2 dollar bills. They are just as happy to get those out of their vaults, so its no problem for them.

This year I also came across 4 67 Kennedys in the same roll that had all been painted red on both sides. I called around to several coin dealers to get some kind of input on why and got the same story from them all:

Apparantly in the 60's, juke boxes took 1/2 dollars. The owners of the restaurant or bar would take 20-40 1/2s and paint them on both sides with 1 color. These were kept behind the bar in a box and when noone was playng music, they would toss one in the juke box to get the music going. A half would play about 10 songs back then. Each week when the coin box of the juke box was cleaned out, the colored coins were easily identified and returned to the owner of the bar for use the next week.
I thought that was really interesting.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RH....impressive totals for the short time you have been at it. Congrats!! How did you come about the Silver Eagle & what year is it? Is it a 96 by chance? Sweet pickup!! There have quite a few here that have picked up Silver Eagles.....unfortunately, I am not one of them....ha!

Good luck in 2009....keep em coming....................

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have noticed that everyone seems to find more franklins than i do. i got 3 frnaklins last year and 22 walkers. i love it when i find either, but being a coin collector i would almast rather find franklins than walkers, the walkers i find coin roll hunting are all but worn out, most of them i can't even read the date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions