A fun day for me today

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I must say today was very fun. It was not the most productive day I have had, but it was definitely enjoyable.

I started out checking to see if any of my source banks ordered boxes last week while I was out of town. The first one I arrived at did not have them, but said they placed an order for 4 boxes for me due in in 2 days. I can't wait :). I then headed down the road to a BoA to pick up some dimes. Before I mentioned them, I asked for halves as always. The teller said, "How many do you want?" without even checking the vault or other tellers. I asked what she had, and she replied, "$450." Shocked, stunned and slightly disbelieving, I asked for all of them! :D Well, indeed there were 45 rolls. Also took $50 in dimes as change :). Went outside, and searched em in the lot. Wound up with 10 40% halves.

On the way tot he next bank, I stopped at a coin store for some late Christmas gifts. Bought a couple silver eagles, and some dimes for my mom(she is a dime nut). Picked up a 1914 and 1909d barber dime for $1.50 each. Also bought her 2 merc dimes and an 1891 seated dime in decent condition.

So then off I went to another BoA(you'll find this to be a recurring theme today), and asked for halves, and then dimes. Went outside with $250 in dimes, and enjoyed them in the parking lot. Most were customer rolls, and 4 separate rolls each had a 5 pence coin tucked stealthily inside. I counted the dimes in one such roll, and found 48 dimes and 5 pence. I began to curse under my breath, and planned a long rant for you all, but the day got better. Wound up with 20 pence, 1/2 franc(which is bigger than a penny, spotted it int he roll before I opened it) and one silver dime. There was also a 1956 British Caribbean Territories 10 cent coin. Might be silver, need to look it up to be sure.

From there I headed to a dump bank to cash in what I had found so far. It did not take long to fill the bag of halves, and as always, I asked the bank employee if anything interesting was in the reject cup. He said it was pretty full, and they were going to throw the contents in the trash. I peeked inside, and saw a nice looking coin, and asked if I could have the contents. He agreed, and I happily filled a little bag with it. Ended up with 8 one pound British coins, 35 cents Canadian, 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 8 nickles, and 57 pennies. Also found a nice navy button, VFW pin, cuff link, a bullet, and several other odds and ends. After the coins were done, I went to a teller for a withdrawal, and asked if they had halves. The teller went in the back, and after a while he returned. His reply was. "Well, we had some, but someone else must have picked them up today. We do have a bag with $1000 back there, but that's so much you couldn't want that." I contemplated knowing I had topped off the bag, and decided not to buy it. As I was leaving, I kicked myself, so tomorrow I am stopping off there first thing to buy it.

Gleefull with my newfound free coins, I went to another BoA. The had one half dollar, and were short on coin, so I let them keep what they had. So from there, I went to another BoA down the road a bit. I asked for halves, and having none, asked if she had a box of dimes. She said not a box, but I have $250 you can have. As I was turning to leave with them, she earnestly thanked me for taking them. I stopped dead in my tracks, and asked, "Do you have any other coins you want to part with?" She said, "Nickles!" So I bought $80 in nickles too. She was thrilled she wouldn't have to count them over and over and over.

After leaving there, I went a bit farther down the road to another BoA(sound familiar yet?). There I purchased $150 in dimes and a roll of quarters for the laundry which my wife insisted she needed. I might add she never touched them tonight, much to my annoyance. Lots of stinky dirty clothes. From there, I went to another BoA which is my second source bank for halves. The teller there said that they did not order my box last week, but that they would order me one for Wednesday.

After all the bank hopping, I ran home, grabbed my detector, and arrive at the beach at 3:45 for a short hunt(low tide was at 3:07). 20 minutes in I found a pretty little heart shaped gold pendant. I decided to give it to my wife to replace the ring I found 2 weeks ago and gave her which she then lost last week. Not a lot else found, but finding gold was great.

Once home, I settled in and searched the coins from the last few banks. Wound up with several old nickles, most notably a 1951 and 1954s. In the dimes I found 2 more 5 pence coins, a dime from Barbados, and 2 more silver rosies.

After all that, I am looking forward to more roll hunting and dirt fishing. I hope you were all able to enjoy the day as well in whatever manner you like best :).
Anthony

Upvote 0

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great play-by-play on your day of hunting. A lot of work, but the rewards are so sweet. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thanks, I just scrolled down the post, and wow, I typed way too much. Sorry, I got a little carried away :(.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day!!! :thumbsup:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
not too long at all Anthony...rather enjoyable reading....funny about the British coins....must be some sort of invasion....found my first 1 pounder today along with 6 other British denominations(no silver though)....needed all for my foreign collection :thumbsup:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Thanks, I just scrolled down the post, and wow, I typed way too much. Sorry, I got a little carried away :(.

Umm....have you read some of my posts..... not too long at all ... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread