Star Note question!

kbinski

Sep 29, 2008
Hold on to it as it will gain value with age. If it is uncirculated then definitely worth a bit over face. Might as well keep it.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save good shape ones, but if its is a low SN I would save it in any condition. As for value, The rule is, the lower or unique a s/number it has, then its worth more.

OP
OP
B

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
TreasureFiend said:
I save good shape ones, but if its is a low SN I would save it in any condition. As for value, The rule is, the lower or unique a s/number it has, then its worth more.

is my s/n low? I'm new the bills and i don't know how many they make or how to tell. thanks. and BTW unfortunately it is not uncirc.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billyg5955 said:
TreasureFiend said:

is my s/n low? I'm new the bills and i don't know how many they make or how to tell. thanks. and BTW unfortunately it is not uncirc.

The more zero's before your number, the better!!! :icon_pirat:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking ....

what is a star note?

I"m sure it means something about a star on the note itself, but a better explanation woudl be great. :-)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A star note is a replacement for an old worn-out bill, it has a tiny star in the S#.

Attachments

• star note.jpg
    star note.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 291
OP
OP
B

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
[/quote]

The more zero's before your number, the better!!! :icon_pirat:
[/quote]

that means my s/n isnt too low considering it has a 1 as the first number.. thanks for the help!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
That one in particular is of interest. Star notes do carry a slight premium, but moreso if the number itself is special or unusual. The note you have has a birthdate in the SN. October 3rd, 2011. So to anyone who will have something significant happen on that date, it will be worth something to them.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
That one in particular is of interest. Star notes do carry a slight premium, but moreso if the number itself is special or unusual. The note you have has a birthdate in the SN. October 3rd, 2011. So to anyone who will have something significant happen on that date, it will be worth something to them.

True about the birthdate, but you'll have to wait a few years until someone has it as a birthdate.... :)

Maybe something significant will happen on that day...

I just started dabbling in currency last year though I didn't do much with it this year except add a few older notes and a couple star notes.

OP
OP
B

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
Narthoniel said:

now that would be a crazy way to predict the future!

kbinski

Sep 29, 2008
Very good point, I have seen some of these bill sell on ebay for quite a bit that have a birthdate. I would tuck it away and wait to sell it on ebay.

OP
OP
B

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
kbinski said:
Very good point, I have seen some of these bill sell on ebay for quite a bit that have a birthdate. I would tuck it away and wait to sell it on ebay.

thats what i think im gonna doo.. its only a dollar and it could be worth up to 20-50x face value

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
TreasureFiend said:
A star note is a replacement for an old worn-out bill, it has a tiny star in the S#.

Not sure where you got your info but you are not correct. Star notes are notes printed in separate runs and used to replace defective NEW notes as they are inspected at the BEP before being released into circulation. This particular note is from a full run and these notes are used almost exclusively to replace entire full BEP packs (100 notes) that have been deemed unfit for circulation or pulled out for testing purposes. You realize that if old worn-out notes were replaced by star notes that ALL the notes in circulation would be star notes, right?

Also, your note is not worth anything over face value. It is from a full 3.2 million note run (i.e. it's common) and it is most definitely NOT a low serial number. Generally a low serial number would have to have at minimum 4 leading zeroes. The only saving grace for this note is that it IS a birthday (or 'date') bill, but the date hasn't even happened yet and won't for another few years. So....it's not anybody's birthday and nothing special happened on that date. But hey, it's your dollar and you should do with it as you feel fit.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
made friends with a teller at my supply bank with a star note. she told me one day that she saved every star note she finds. a few weeks later got change from the cashier at walmart and she gave me 2 star notes in change. the serial numbers were 1 number different between the 2. they were 1 dollar notes. i took them to the teller and gave them to her. told her that if she came across any silver to save them for me. so far she has given me 3 dimes and 1 half. :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Not too long ago I was cashing in some half dollar dumps and the teller paid me in 100 bill star notes. I had about 7 of them with consecutive numbers. I guess I could have taken the whole packet of them in that the teller had opened up a new wad of 100s and they were all star notes. If I wanted to she would have let me take money out of my account there to get all the star notes in the packet (I think there was 2 thousand worth).

I did not save them in that I have never seen that they are really worth anything. These were brand new bills and I could not afford to shelve all that money to hope for future returns on paper fiat currency.

Hope I did not make a big mistake.

Jim

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Jim, next time you are in one of the better book stores, pick up a copy of "Paper Money Values". I usually get one copy a year(as values don't change too quick :wink:). This will give you a pretty good idea of the values for all notes, including star notes. I retain all $1, $5, and $10 star notes, but will refer to PMV to determine whether I will hang onto $20's $50's or $100's... Like you said, it gets a little tricky when you have a couple of grand tied up in star notes ;D! Oh, I will also go to a website that I think is called "USPapermoneyinfo" which is a simple site to navigate, and also has a section where you can check the population of all notes including star notes. Good luck,, Gpurs..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread