anyone care to share some methods?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i am new to the search and have only been hunting for about 6 months. i am up to 4 boxes of halves per week and sometimes i will search a few dime boxes. i live in a small town in alabama between montgomery alabama and atlanta georgia. when i see some of the posts of some of you guys with your yearly totals i am amazed. i must be doing something wrong, i have been hunting for 6 months and i have 22 90% halves, and 167 40% halves, and 32 pre 64 dimes. i get my 4 boxes per week from a local bank and go through them and dump them at another local bank. there is only 5 banks in my home town. my source bank orders from loumis and my dump bank is picked up by brinks. there is also a few other searchers in my town. the tellers have told me about 2 of them and i also get alot of halves that have red and green marks across the face. i am really interested in knowing how many boxes everyone does and do they have any suggestions on how i can get my keeper level up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
oh yea i went around to the banks in my town today and went across into georgia. i got a total of 36 rolls. all were skunks. seems like it is slim pickens in my area lately.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I try different areas of the State. I put alot of miles on but I have a hybrid car. I'm starting to lean toward boxes though. Halves and dimes. This week I went through about 3 boxes of halves and a box loose or rolled. I went through about a half dozen dime boxes. I'm going to start asking the tellers who delivers.
I like Brinks and Dunbar, but who knows it's really a crapshoot.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you are a prime candidate for a Government Bailout !

All I can tell you is to expand your search pattern. Find out if more than one armoured car company services your area. It takes some hard leg work but your tallies are better than some I've seen.

Happy New Year Everyone. Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i live in a small town in alabama between montgomery alabama and atlanta georgia.
Sounds like time for a road trip. Since the distance between Montgomery and the GA boarder is about 75 miles you could go either direction. I would go to Montgomery myself (used to live right off the southern bypass many years ago)

Go to www.mapquest.com type in montgomery, AL and enter BANK for business search. You will get over 120 hits.

Or just take off in any direction and hit every small town bank you can find.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
thanks cyberdan and all. wow small world, i think i know the area of montgomery you are talking about. i actually live in valley alabama, and it is about 100 miles from montgomery (to the south) and 100 miles from atlanta (to the north). i have not ventured out of my home town yet to coin roll hunt but i think i will try it. the banks around here don't carry many halves at all, i have to order them and pick them up every thursday. i also do not have any teller problems here because everyone knows me at all the banks (i am a police officer)this is a really fun hobby, i wish i would have started years ago, i have been a coin collector since elem. school and got into metal detecting about 4 years ago. (i have a garrett). my wife really likes it because it does not cost a whole lot of money unlike some of the other hobbies i have dabbled in over the years. i would really be interested to know one posters methods, i think her name is KJ, she is a charter member and her profile picture shows her in a santa cap. her totals are amazing. makes me wonder if she is a bank teller or maybe works for brinks?thanks again for the information, and if anyone else has anything to add please feel free to do so.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be talking about LJ. Just like Santa,the Easter Bunny, and The Great Pumpkin she is not real. When she was at her peak of CRHing, she claimed to be able to drive 75 MPH while searching tightly wrapped CWI rolls. Throw in her cell phone, Burger King, and Potty Breaks, I don't know how she did it. She does have a very understanding hubby though.
Happy New Year Everyone, Jim

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
coolpix9 said:
You may be talking about LJ. Just like Santa,the Easter Bunny, and The Great Pumpkin she is not real. When she was at her peak of CRHing, she claimed to be able to drive 75 MPH while searching tightly wrapped CWI rolls. Throw in her cell phone, Burger King, and Potty Breaks, I don't know how she did it. She does have a very understanding hubby though.

I understand a bit more how her totals came to be what they are. Egad man....

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
The key is persistence. ::)

That and if one thing isn't working for your area....try something different...with some persistence you should be able to figure out what works best...

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
coolpix9 said:
A pretty face doesn't hurt either LOL. I think the good karma is her hey to success, that and maybe a "lady smith" haha. HH Mark

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i actually live in valley alabama,
Try heading south to Columbus, hit every small town bank on the way. You will quickly find out if you have competition. If you don't find halves ask a few questions, do they ever get any? any other "collectors" stop by? etc.

silvercop said:
i would really be interested to know one posters methods, i think her name is KJ,
That would be LJ, some know her as Bonnie. She has accumulated quite a pile of silver. Her secret is persistence, right place at the right time, lots of road trips and probably lack of competition.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
yea i know i have competition here. there is a monster hunter in my town and i have found his dump bank. his calling card is a green or red mark across the face. when i open up a roll and see this it really gets me down. i never go to his dump bank anymore. the one time i did go i asked the teller if she had any halves and she asked how many i wanted,. i took 2000.00 worth, she said she had more. searched them all and were skunked. now that i remember i seem to recall the teller line giggling when i was leaving, i thought they were just happy to get rid of the halves, but i think they knew i just took a load of skunks off their hands.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The best way to increase your totals would be the same way anywhere you live ....Volume Volume VOLUME..... or in LJ's case location location location.

I do 12 boxes a week and avg. between 10 and 40 keepers a week. Sometimes i'll get lucky and catch a mini dream box and net 20 to 50 keepers (Far and few in between) but i do as many in 1 week as you do in 3 weeks so it's fair to say I should find 3 times as much as you find.

Good Luck.

It helps to know wich carriers like Brinks and Loomis serves your area and how far their reach is.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions