Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.
I am happy to get silver at face value.

Even better to get it for FREE :thumbsup:

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything's comin' up rosies! Nicely done Thurm. :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
thurmownator said:
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

To my surprise in there were eight (8) silver FDRs: 47sx2 (that I didn't have yet) 48dx2, 52d and 64dx3.

Gotta like that reject tray silver.

Happy New Year all.......................

Was that machine a "coin scan" brand machine, the type where you can see the coins spin on a wheel before they drop off into the counter and collection boxes?

I have found a couple of Rosie dimes in the reject tray in one of these types of machines. They dont accept silver dimes for some reason.

Jim

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!! :D gotta love free silver

HH

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I wish I could grab what is in the regect tray but my dump bank Navy Federal Credit Union won't allow it. They say that they have to throw them out. I made the mistake of digging in the regect bin one time and she about ripped my head off like I was a criminal. What I don't get is that they don't know if those coins are mine or not. Just burns me.

-Golden Silver

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
thurmownator said:
Dropped off some halves today and checked reject tray, as I always do, at the coin counting machine.

Was that machine a "coin scan" brand machine, the type where you can see the coins spin on a wheel before they drop off into the counter and collection boxes?

I have found a couple of Rosie dimes in the reject tray in one of these types of machines. They dont accept silver dimes for some reason.

Jim

If I could verify a machine rejected all silver I would skip searching them and just pick up bags, dump them through, and collect the reject slot.... :)

Essentially use the coin machine as a ryedale for silver....unfortunately I don't trust that it would reject all the silver without testing it...and I really don't feel like losing a few silvers (and worse it is more likely to lose worn (or older) silvers as they are lighter and probably more closely resemble clad weight).

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like free silva!!!! :icon_pirat:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
GMan00001 said:
jim4silver said:
thurmownator said:

Jim

If I could verify a machine rejected all silver I would skip searching them and just pick up bags, dump them through, and collect the reject slot.... :)

Essentially use the coin machine as a ryedale for silver....unfortunately I don't trust that it would reject all the silver without testing it...and I really don't feel like losing a few silvers (and worse it is more likely to lose worn (or older) silvers as they are lighter and probably more closely resemble clad weight).

Who said anything about using a coin counting machine to screen out silver? I was making a point that a certain machine has in the past in my CRHing experience had silver dimes in the reject tray on more than one occasion. Also, Coinstar literature states that their machine rejects 90% silver. I would not trust that myself, in that highly circulated coins lose some weight and that could cause the heavier silver halves to be closer in weight to their clad counterparts.

The weight of a mint state US silver dime is 2.5 grams, and the weight of a mint state copper/nickel dime is 2.268 g, thus certain machines could be calibrated to reject coins that don't meet the proper specifications regarding weight. If a silver coin was circulated enough to lose some weight due to wear then I assume it would not be rejected. The silver coins I have found in the reject tray were in good shape and must not have met the specifications of the calibration of the particular machine.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Who said anything about using a coin counting machine to screen out silver? I was making a point that a certain machine has in the past in my CRHing experience had silver dimes in the reject tray on more than one occasion. Also, Coinstar literature states that their machine rejects 90% silver. I would not trust that myself, in that highly circulated coins lose some weight and that could cause the heavier silver halves to be closer in weight to their clad counterparts.

The weight of a mint state US silver dime is 2.5 grams, and the weight of a mint state copper/nickel dime is 2.268 g, thus certain machines could be calibrated to reject coins that don't meet the proper specifications regarding weight. If a silver coin was circulated enough to lose some weight due to wear then I assume it would not be rejected. The silver coins I have found in the reject tray were in good shape and must not have met the specifications of the calibration of the particular machine.

Jim

I was the one who said that.... :)

And as I went on to say....if only I could trust it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread