What is the source of my half dollars (boxes/bags)

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hello all,

Was hoping that someone could inform me as to the sources of my half dollars.

I picked up two rectangular boxes at one bank with yellow writing on the outside ($500 per box). The inside had yellow rolls made by N.F. String & Son, Inc. Harrisburg PA. This $1k only produced 3 40%'s and a gold plated 1980 stamped with both a 1960 and 1980 date. In other words, nothing spectacular. I noticed that a great many coins in these boxes were marked. Disappointing.

I also picked up a $500 "Fraudstopper" closed plastic bag from another bank I placed an order with. There is no identifying writing on the bag other than a Bar Code BC 1671320. They were unsure where the coins come from, but theorized from the Fed. This bag produced 12 40%'s including a 1970S. Again, nothing spectacular, but at least it was something. What was odd about this batch was that a significant number of the coins were tarnished almost the point of appearing gold.

Any insights you guys might have to the source would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
12 40%ers and a 1970. Is spectacular now a days. I know some guys on this forum would piss their pants for those finds. When ever I start saying Oh darn I only found 5 silvers this time, I have to remind myself to remember finding my first silver half and thinking I had just made bank. I was on top of the world. Sorry but I am just as lost on where the coins come from.

-Golden Silver

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe several companies use the wrappers made by N.F. String. The bag could have came from anywhere so your guess is as good as mine. Hope that helps.

-Codes

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Ask you banker who delivers their change.
String is a wrapper manufacturer.

OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
golden silver said:
12 40%ers and a 1970. Is spectacular now a days. I know some guys on this forum would piss their pants for those finds. When ever I start saying Oh darn I only found 5 silvers this time, I have to remind myself to remember finding my first silver half and thinking I had just made bank. I was on top of the world. Sorry but I am just as lost on where the coins come from.

-Golden Silver

Golden Silver, thanks for the response. I certainly didn't mean that I was unhappy with finding 12 silvers. Simply meant that I didn't have any nice 90% Kennedy's, or more interestingly Franklins or Walkers (which I have yet to find any of).

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bag of halves is likely from one of the 179 coin terminals operated by armored services that work on behalf of the Fed that are NOT part of the Fed itself. See below....

Here is a quote from http://federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/coin/

Coin
The Federal Reserve's role in coin operations is more limited than its role in currency. Rather than determine the annual coin production, the Federal Reserve influences the annual order process using its forecasting model. The U.S. Mint, however, determines the annual coin production and monitors the Reserve Banks' coin inventories weekly to identify trends in coin demand. To help the Mint plan its monthly production, the Federal Reserve also provides the Mint with monthly coin orders. The Mint transports the coin from its production facilities for circulating coin in Philadelphia and Denver to all of the Reserve Banks.

The Federal Reserve's Cash Product Office (CPO) oversees the centralized management of coin. The CPO coordinates the distribution of coin from the Mint to the Reserve Banks, and acts as liaison among the Mint and the Reserve Banks. The CPO also monitors System level inventories and coordinates the redistribution of coin inventories between the Reserve Banks.

The Reserve Banks distribute new and circulated coin to depository institutions to meet the public's demand. While the Reserve Banks store some coin in their vaults, they also contract with 179 coin terminals to store, process, and distribute coin on behalf of the Federal Reserve. Armored carrier companies generally operate the coin terminals; the coin terminal arrangement has improved the efficiency of the coin-distribution system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread