teller tip or not?

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Went to my dump credit union today and the lady (who isnt always super friendly anyway ) lol asked me if it was time consuming rewrapping all the pennies I go through I told her it was but worth it , she then said that thier vault is small at the branch and I must be filling it up lol. She said if I go to the main office at the nieghboring town they have a free coinstar machine for us members and I dont have to rewrap they just dump my bag and give me cash or credit to my account then they send them to the fed she said . I do work in this city so I could time weekly stops I suppose not sure if this a normal practice any input. I never get at this credit union branch I just dump there so bnot sure how to take it. dave :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yes, that is a perfectly normal practice. Many of us go out of our ways in searches for the free coin counter machines closest to us, as it saves TONS of time in dumping.

For example, half bags normally hold $1,000, so you dump that... the bag fills and stops the machine... a teller comes out and swaps out bags... then you can continue dumping.

I sometimes feel like an evil man watching little girl tellers lift out massive bags of halves... especially when I make them change out the half bag 3-4 times within 10 minutes. =)

So when I stopped searching at the end of the summer, I dropped by the bank and gave each of the tellers that helped me the most a Walker for their assistance. ;)

What is a NOT so commong practice, is the bank giving you empty bags (like the bags used in the machines) and allowing you to fill the bags and then bring them in that way. This is a COVETED method that only a couple on this forum have been fortunate to come across. The only downside is that since a machine doesn't count them, you don't get the money for a week or so since they need to send it to the fed to be verified.

Still though... it saves SOOOOOOOOO much time and annoyance on both ends that I would JUMP at the chance for that service.

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BBcardsRI said:
Yes, that is a perfectly normal practice. Many of us go out of our ways in searches for the free coin counter machines closest to us, as it saves TONS of time in dumping.

For example, half bags normally hold $1,000, so you dump that... the bag fills and stops the machine... a teller comes out and swaps out bags... then you can continue dumping.

I sometimes feel like an evil man watching little girl tellers lift out massive bags of halves... especially when I make them change out the half bag 3-4 times within 10 minutes. =)

So when I stopped searching at the end of the summer, I dropped by the bank and gave each of the tellers that helped me the most a Walker for their assistance. ;)

What is a NOT so commong practice, is the bank giving you empty bags (like the bags used in the machines) and allowing you to fill the bags and then bring them in that way. This is a COVETED method that only a couple on this forum have been fortunate to come across. The only downside is that since a machine doesn't count them, you don't get the money for a week or so since they need to send it to the fed to be verified.

Still though... it saves SOOOOOOOOO much time and annoyance on both ends that I would JUMP at the chance for that service.

~Dave
LOL! Dave, an even MORE coveted method is when they let you fill your own bag, and are paid immediately! Such as in my case. Been doing it for awhile, they have never told me if any bags were short, I think they are allowed so much +or-, AMC

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave all my tellers who I really liked some silver this year! I think that gesture goes a LONG way

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Ah, so it was YOU! I knew there were 2-3 people with that setup and I knew one of'em got paid on the spot.

You sir... have the best setup EVER! Donuts and flowers are not enough for those telllers... massages! sponge bathes!

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BBcardsRI said:
Ah, so it was YOU! I knew there were 2-3 people with that setup and I knew one of'em got paid on the spot.

You sir... have the best setup EVER! Donuts and flowers are not enough for those telllers... massages! sponge bathes!

~Dave
Yeah, one might even go a far as a marriage proposal! (met my wife there).

AMC

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
AMC rulz said:
BBcardsRI said:

~Dave
LOL! Dave, an even MORE coveted method is when they let you fill your own bag, and are paid immediately! Such as in my case. Been doing it for awhile, they have never told me if any bags were short, I think they are allowed so much +or-, AMC

Early last yr i was at the bank when i mentioned that to a teller. She said that would be fine and handed me the bags. As i was ready to walk out another head teller says no we cant do that and took the bags away. Along with it she added me with a yr of aggrivation LOL

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
a credit union opened in November a few blocks from my house. They have a coin counter in the lobby, but the manager or teller has to use it. Its 2% for members, but free if you open a youth account. My 14 year old now has an account there, which helps because he carries the bags of dump coins around for me anyway...LOL
The manager also has my number and calls me if she gets 1/2s or Eisenhowers in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread