New to forum & What I do

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
New to forum & What I do

I've been reading this forum for a couple months now and thought I'd join at the New Year. I'm not as "aggressive" about CRH as a lot of you but, I've been CRH for about a decade now, since I was in the Army stationed in Germany. When I got out in late '00 I was able to really get into it. Today I average about 1 box a week of whatever denomination I choose. I also get $50 in cents that I gradually go through as the month goes by.

I've noticed that a few of you buy boxes of cents. I used to do this until I switched to customer wrapped rolls. I find that these rolls have more benefits than the machine wrapped ones you get in boxes. First of all, I find dimes. Hardly a month goes by that I don't find at least 1 dime somewhere in that $50. I have even found a '64 silver dime. Second not every roll contains 50 coins, some have more and some have less. In the all the years I've been doing this, so far I'm about 350 coins ahead. (I like those rolls that have 50+ coins) Foreign coins seem to show up with greater frequency too. I've found coins of varying denominations from every continent, but most of them are from the UK, Bermuda, Barbados, and the Bahamas. The best foreign coin was a 1928 10 cents from the Straits Settlement (now Malaysia)made of silver. I live less than an hour from the Canadian Border, so Canadian coins are not really considered foreign around here, but I do keep the King George 6th cents(1952 and older). Of course not all foreign coins are the same size as cents. Some are smaller and some are bigger. Of the bigger coins I have found are US nickels. Yes, NICKELS! Don't ask me how they got in the rolls, they just come out when I unroll them. Of course, they're so heavily tarnished that they're almost black, but you'd think people would look more closely when they had trouble shoving it into the paper wrapper. Oh well, better for me. One of those nickels was a Buffalo dated 1928, even better for me. And one more benefit is that my bank actually has to pay a fee to have its customer wrapped coins shipped out, so they love me when I come in and offer to buy them. This generates a better relationship with the tellers and they try to keep stuff that I might be interested in. A couple years back one of the tellers told me that a customer brought in several rolls marked "WHEAT" and asked if I was interested. Of course I said sure and bought all they had. After a couple weeks of searching and sorting, I had over 6300 wheats. The best hoard ever and at face value. And these are some of the reasons and discoveries I've made searching those customer wrapped rolls. I'll post my CRH finds as I get them. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Re: New to forum & What I do

Nice background story, and congrats on the wheat cache :thumbsup:. Look forward to seeing more of your finds this year! Good luck,, Gpurs..

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, I used to hunt $100 of pennies a week and and I never had a hoard that big...Love to hear what you find next :)

HH
-GC

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi all!

I totally agree with you. i do the same thing unless I can't get to the bank I normally get them. They love it when I take coin off their hands. This past year I got a whole roll of wheats. I also was going thru some rolls and the newest date was a 1985. one of the coins turned out to be a 1983 ddr in uncirculated condition. Cents in hand rolls mean they may have been sitting in a jar at home for a longggg time.

Happy Hunting!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Well welcome to the family! Here is to a successful 2009.

-Golden Silver

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its a cryin shame I can't get hand rolls at my banks..... :'(
Around me everything has to be loose and run through the coin counter, I guess they don't trust anyone. >:(

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL!!!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions