ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, take a good pic and share it with us! :tongue3:

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Just as a note... there are acids and other solutions and mixtures that affect metals to discolor them.

I think the zincies are easier and more comonly used in science class rooms, but I wouldn't rule the pre-82's out of it.

~Dave

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
BBcardsRI said:
Just as a note... there are acids and other solutions and mixtures that affect metals to discolor them.

I think the zincies are easier and more comonly used in science class rooms, but I wouldn't rule the pre-82's out of it.

~Dave
well my camera is a peice of crap so no i can't get a picture but actually it is 1957 and do you think it could be an experimental penny?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it just been painted....I occasionally come across ones that have been painted or dipped in something

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
GMan00001 said:
Has it just been painted....I occasionally come across ones that have been painted or dipped in something
ok i was just wondering

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
There are quite a few experimental planchets for pennies... more than any other denomination if I recall. Not sure when their prime time was... I know there was a brief span that they came out more than others. I would throw it in a little envolope and store it away until you run across a dealer or collector in person who has some SERIOUS knowledge in the planchet field. And I mean serious knowledge... I've brought some of mine to dealers who weighed it, looped it, and I even let one of the coins be scratched tested by a couple different dealers, and most say well... I have no idea... it doesn't seem like a normal paint job/coating issue... and then they tell you store it away for a rainy day. These people aren't experts in planchets... just coins. Not many people with the required planchet knowldge.

That is what I have done with a few coins that seemed like they COULD be experimental planchets... just stored them away for a rainy day.

Between dipped/painted coins... think chrome/gold/mercury dipped/coated halves and the common science room experiments... there isn't really much you can do to find out what yours is and you don't have good odds that they are experiment planchets. New planchts don't have many copies made, and so very few get out... especially one as obvious as a silver looking 1957 penny. For example, one of the ones I am keeping is a state quarter with full silver rim that has no signs of a dipping or painting, etc. 99.99% it is just an oddball one that has its copper not showing on the rim for some reason... but it doesn't hurt to store away a quarter. I mean... is it worth spending a hefty sum to get it graded with those odds?

Good luck with getting more info... and let us know if you find out something... one way or the other.

Good luck!

~Dave

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
BBcardsRI said:
There are quite a few experimental planchets for pennies... more than any other denomination if I recall. Not sure when their prime time was... I know there was a brief span that they came out more than others. I would throw it in a little envolope and store it away until you run across a dealer or collector in person who has some SERIOUS knowledge in the planchet field. And I mean serious knowledge... I've brought some of mine to dealers who weighed it, looped it, and I even let one of the coins be scratched tested by a couple different dealers, and most say well... I have no idea... it doesn't seem like a normal paint job/coating issue... and then they tell you store it away for a rainy day. These people aren't experts in planchets... just coins. Not many people with the required planchet knowldge.

That is what I have done with a few coins that seemed like they COULD be experimental planchets... just stored them away for a rainy day.

Between dipped/painted coins... think chrome/gold/mercury dipped/coated halves and the common science room experiments... there isn't really much you can do to find out what yours is and you don't have good odds that they are experiment planchets. New planchts don't have many copies made, and so very few get out... especially one as obvious as a silver looking 1957 penny. For example, one of the ones I am keeping is a state quarter with full silver rim that has no signs of a dipping or painting, etc. 99.99% it is just an oddball one that has its copper not showing on the rim for some reason... but it doesn't hurt to store away a quarter. I mean... is it worth spending a hefty sum to get it graded with those odds?

Good luck with getting more info... and let us know if you find out something... one way or the other.

Good luck!

~Dave
will do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread