Coin machine finally screwed me!!!!!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Heard all about the horror stories of the bags beig short.
Walked into my bank today and filled and bought the halves bag. After all was said and done. silver was scarce and i was short41.00. I knew it would do nothing but hurt my future of buying the bags but i called the bank anyways. They told me there was nothing they could do since i left the bank and also said i could no longer buy the bags. So now im out 41.00 bucks and can no longer get the bags there that normaly produce good finds.
The machine manager said the bank manager would call me tommorrow, is there anything i could say or do? Any advice would be great.
BEWARE OF THE BAGS
Keith

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit22 said:
is there anything i could say or do? Any advice would be great.
BEWARE OF THE BAGS Keith
Tell then you want them to reconcile the bag and the machine. Couldn't hurt, they already cut you off from bags. Tell them there is definately something wrong with their sorter or maybe even an employee.

I had a bag off by about $11 once and talked to the vault manager because she was always friendly. She looked in her log and said that the machine was "over". She never said by how much but she credidted my account right away. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
davest said:
how short was the bag? What kind of coins were you buying? Halves?Quarters?Dimes?Nickels? enquiring minds and all that. :icon_scratch:

short 41.00 on the halves bag

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
sounds like you just found your new dump bank.....sorry they crapped on you dude >:( i had a similiar experience with a machine at one of my dump banks, as i have said before the machine is always off, most of the time in the banks favor, but it is free to use and the coinstar machines here at kroger charge 8% fees. anyway after weeks of being short 5-15 dollars at a time the machine tipped in my favor and gave me 60.00 more than what i had. so i guess it was about even. i was too afraid to call it to anyone's attention when the machine shorted me. i have a feeling they know the machine is off and i did not want them to tell me i could not use it anymore. guess you just have to take the good with the bad

oracle

Nov 1, 2008
MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Makes me wonder if that's why my bank won't let me buy bags from their coin sorter. I'm thinking maybe they had problems with their machine before. Who knows anymore????

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the machines are so fickle is why many banks refuse to sell the bags.

Either the banks will be lose money because of wrong denomination stuff in the bags (quarters in penny bags, etc.) or people will complain about being off a couple coins and there is no way for the bank to reconcile if the customer is telling the truth...so easier to just not deal with it and say no to selling bags.

I have been told no by numerous banks for exactly this reason. It's part of the risk of buying a bag.

Another option that some banks do is to rerun the whole bag through the counter to essentially "double-check" the count. This usually gives a much more accurate answer, but does allow for the teller to see what is being run through the machine and potentially cherry-pick a few coins. A few also will count out the coins by hand to double check the total....slow process.... :P

I was off $15 I think near the end of last year on about $120 worth.....just part of the game. I wanted the option to buy bags there again so I didn't say anything. I also knew it would be off when I bought it....just didn't realize how far off..guess I should have taken the teller up on her offer to hand count it....maybe next time (at least at that bank).

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
After the last two days I will not be buying bags anymore. Monday I was offered the cc bag at $100- it actually contained $70.50 in halves, 2 quarters and 2 pennies. Yesterday I went to top off a bag and buy it. The teller checked the count on the bag and said it needed $214.50 so I handed her the bag I carried in which had $580+- in it. She gave ME what was left from my bag and I bought the full one, hour later I went and dumped that leftover and only got $250. So either that $1000 bag I bought has $1100 in it or I'm out another $100- I'll find out this AM when I dump. Boxes are much safer for ME. HH Mark

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. How could you know when you trusted the bank that it would be that short. I know who wins that battle ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread