2 mini roadtrips, Nada, but a potential pick-up next week

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
Made 2 mini roadtrips, 1 today and 1 yesterday. Yesterday I hit about 4 banks, ended up with around 30 bucks in clad, no keepers.
Today I made another one, hit about 5 spots, didn't find even 1 half, but I did find out one of my source banks for boxes of halves is closing. The last stop today I talked with a teller who said she had no halves in her drawer. After I asked about the large dollar coins, she started talking about her husband who collected silver until his recent death. She said she would bring in some silver dollars next week, but she couldn't sell them to me. She said she'd GIVE them to me. I protested, and told her the dollar coins were probably worth 10 to 20 dollars in silver content alone, but she said she knew, but still insisted. She said her husband would have wanted her to do it. So I agreed, after making sure she knew the value of the coins. I sure hope she does bring them in, but I feel really guilty about the whole thing. I think I'll bring along some money and pay her for it anyway. She is elderly, but seemed to know what she was doing.

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if they are sure and know that they are worth more than face value, after that I take what I can get for free. :icon_pirat:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey what a story BB! Kind of sad... you know what you should do is bring her a gift of sorts. If she won't take money get her a small vace with some flowers that she can keep on her desk. I know if your married it seems kind of weird but not if you consider the meaning behind it. Besides that would probably brighten up the old ladies spirits and make her happy everytime she sees the flowers. Just my idea.

....Sorry lady coin roll hunters I am married LOL. :wink:

-Golden Silver

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free is free, but it was a good gesture to offer her some exchange. Especially if you are a stranger.

OP
OP
B

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
That's a great idea golden silver!
I was talking with my wife about it and she said she would make some sort of desert for her. I think the vase and flowers idea is good too.
We'll see what happens next week, I'll update this post either way.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
she's hooking you up big time...a gift would be a great gesture....you must have made a good impression on her for her to do that...kudos to you...she is also respecting her husbands love of the hobby by passing these on to another collector instead of cashing them in.... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
I forgot to go by last thursday, Doh!!
So I went by the following tuesday. I told her I was sorry for not showing up, and she said it's allright, come back thursday. So I showed up today, and she gave me a bag that had all 90%er's in it. A 1923 Peace dollar, a 1921 Morgan, 4 silver quarters and 2 silver dimes. The lady is really nice for doing this, I'm still shocked about it. Awesome! This made my recent skunks a whole lot more bearable.

OP
OP
B

BeerBelly

May 6, 2008
Nevada
Golden Silver,
I had asked my wife to bake something for her, and she agreed. Unfortunately, she didn't have time last night, so I was unprepared. I'm going to bring her something the next day she works, if it's not something my wife cooks, it will be something I bought at the store! I'm kinda glad it worked out that way though, because I was able to name some specific things my wife cooks really well, and she said that would be fine. Would hate to bring her something she really likes but is unable to eat because of Doctors Orders, or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions