CRH in Canada

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I asked the same question about a month ago. Census seems to be no one does it. I live about an hour from the border. One of these days I am going to take a trip there and buy a binch of rolls.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Shake,

I'm guessing that a lot of silver could be found there. Especially on the dimes where the date is hard to see. Let me know how you do if you try it there.
I'm about a 3 1/2 hour drive from there and I'd like to try it myself.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Rich Hartford said:
Shake,

I'm guessing that a lot of silver could be found there. Especially on the dimes where the date is hard to see. Let me know how you do if you try it there.

I'm heading there this summer for this same reason too. I'll be up in New York so I will be close enough to justify it. Plus I've never done it and I want to try. I'm saving all my Canadian coins right now, then when I cross the border I'll find a bank and trade my coins for paper notes, then buy back more rolled coins from another bank. I'll focus on dimes and nickels I think.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
DrDetector said:
Rich Hartford said:
Shake,

I'm heading there this summer for this same reason too. I'll be up in New York so I will be close enough to justify it. Plus I've never done it and I want to try. I'm saving all my Canadian coins right now, then when I cross the border I'll find a bank and trade my coins for paper notes, then buy back more rolled coins from another bank. I'll focus on dimes and nickels I think.

I don't know if i would bother with nickels. They didnt have silver nickels like we have the WAR nickel, unless you go back the the early 20's there is no silver nickels. I am going to try halves and dimes.

Jason

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Shake-N-Bake said:
DrDetector said:
Rich Hartford said:
Shake,

I don't know if i would bother with nickels. They didnt have silver nickels like we have the WAR nickel, unless you go back the the early 20's there is no silver nickels. I am going to try halves and dimes.

Jason

Who said I was only looking for silver?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
DrDetector said:
Shake-N-Bake said:
DrDetector said:
Rich Hartford said:
Shake,

Jason

Who said I was only looking for silver?

Sorry I figured that is what you would be searching for. All the other dates I find in US coin rolls. I have the Canadian nickel set from 1938 till 2008, all pulled from US rolls.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have a lot of the canadian nickels but nowhere near the whole set. I have found one silver can. 5 cent in U.S. circ as well, but I have a ton of the nickels I'm missing. Doing the Can. dimes would be to get silver, and also the 1970. I haven't got that one either. I'm down in Pittsburgh so we don't get all that many canadian coins in the rolls here. Maybe 2 or 3 nickels in a box are Canadian. The old ones really just don't show up in rolls, but I have got a 1927, 1933 and a few others from the 40s and 50s. I would love to fill some holes in that set at face value.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake-N-Bake said:

Jason

One thing to note though about Canadian nickels is that pre-1982 they had a high nickel content and actually have an intrinsic metal value that is worth more than US $0.05. Currently not much more, just something to consider. Back when nickel was at its peak around May 2007, these nickels were worth $0.20 in metal content and there were a number of people searching canadian nickels.

At that time the return on investment on Canadian nickels was greater than the return on 40% halves is today. And the cost to search was low and they were easy to get and fairly easy to find in large numbers. Additionally you could still find the older ones that had numismatic value mixed in as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread