Question about pre-1960 nickels

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
they are just rarer at this point...I think people are hanging on to them with the hope that they will become more and more valuable.

if you hold on to post 60 nickels you will end up with too many...but pre60 you'll just be taking a small amount from each box you search through.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Part of the demand stems from the Whitman Coin Books. The first Jefferson book runs from 1938 to 1961. As more people try to fill it, fewer of these are left floating around. Also, due to the lower mintages of most of these coins, they are more scarce, and therefore more valuable. It is said pre 1960 nickles sell in bulk for 10-15 cents each in circulated condition. I will be testing this soon as I need to sell of what I have accumulated.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I'd say I collect them because they are old and whenever I can't find any silver I know I'll find a pre 60 nickel!

Also, some collect nickels that have full steps on the back. After much wear you can hardly see the steps but with little wear you can find ones with five or six steps...

While we're on the subject of nickels, is anyone keeping a roll or two of the 2004 / 2005 different backed nickels for future generations... ones in good condition?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I have 3 unopened and uncirculated rolls of 2005p buffalo backs I found in a box a week ago. Gonna sell em I suppose.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Ju8vP3t said:
What is the significance? if any? Can one of you nickel-guys (or girls) out there tell me?

Hello there,
I consider myself "one" of the nickels guys on this forum. I currently search about 10 - 20 nickel boxes a week. As pointed out by narthoniel it has to do some waht whith the Whitman books. The first book in the series goes up to 1961. At this time you can find these sets selling pretty good on Ebay. Because the jefferson nickel has stayed the same untill recently with the Lewis and Clark nickels all the old ones just got recirculated back into population by the everyday Joe. Now that the design has changed you will see the everyday Joe start noticing the older style nickels and pulling them out of circulation thus making them more valueable. I think CRHer's that are hoarding the pre 1960 nickels(like myself) are tring to get a good hoard built up before the demand increases. One thing I consider is that hoarding something right now that I am buying at face value and has the possibilities of increased value in the near future is a win win situtation. At this time I am about 3/4 the way done with a roll set of Jefferson nickels 1938 - 1961. I already have a dealer that is interested in buying it minus the 1939D and 1950D. I am going to make a pretty large profit on the roll set. The early Jefferson nickels are a sleeper right now but dealers are already seeing an increased demand for specific dates to complete sets.
I hope this kinda helps.
Jason

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:
While we're on the subject of nickels, is anyone keeping a roll or two of the 2004 / 2005 different backed nickels for future generations... ones in good condition?

Personally, I'm not keeping them since they're so abundant.

-Codes

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Codes said:
dandow20 said:

Personally, I'm not keeping them since they're so abundant.

-Codes

I agree they are everywhere. But i did keep a couple of orginal CWI rolls for my kids.

Jason

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Narthoniel said:
Part of the demand stems from the Whitman Coin Books. The first Jefferson book runs from 1938 to 1961. As more people try to fill it, fewer of these are left floating around. Also, due to the lower mintages of most of these coins, they are more scarce, and therefore more valuable. It is said pre 1960 nickles sell in bulk for 10-15 cents each in circulated condition. I will be testing this soon as I need to sell of what I have accumulated.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Anthony,

Let me know if you truly ge 10 cents or more for each pre 1960 nickel. If so, I'd be really excited. NOt a seller (yet), but at least excited. :-)

John

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still keep um, let us know how they sell. :icon_pirat:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:

I have 40+ rolls of them, most of them were bought in 2004/2005 straight from the bank so they are still in the bank rolls in Unc. condition.

I am not planning on pulling more of them to keep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread