Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good - story on Yahoo right now about CRH'ng

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/01/09/2009-01-09_save_your_pennies_coins_in_circulation_m.html

>:(

ok not CRH per say, but about rare coins in circulation.

Save your pennies! Coins in circulation may be worth up to $1,000, says expert
See a penny, pick it up, it may be worth a thousand bucks.

Noted coin dealer Scott Travers announced three years ago he had released three rare and valuable pennies into circulation, but none of the coins has been reported found.

"Not only does it appear that these three pennies are out there waiting for someone to cash them in for a pretty penny, there are lots of others that are just like them that are out there," said Travers, author of the book "One-Minute Coin Expert."

In a bid to encourage a new generation of coin collectors, Travers parted with the three one-cent coins in April 2006.

He put the first - a 1914-D Lincoln cent valued at $300 - toward a pretzel at a vendor outside the Nasdaq offices at 4 Times Square.

Days later, Travers spent a 1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln cent valued at $1,000 on a bottle of water he purchased at a different vendor in Times Square. He then walked a block to a newsstand and dispensed a 1908-S Indian Head cent worth $250.

In the weeks after his high-profile stunt, seven people came forward saying they found the $1,000 coin Travers gave up.

"The coins were real, but none of them was mine," Travers said.

The bonanza, Travers said, demonstrated an important point: There are countless coins worth big money that are just waiting to be discovered on sidewalks and streetcorners, and in pants pockets and piggy banks.

"There really are big dollars to be made in small coins," Travers said. "With these hard times, people are really nickel-and-diming it and to be able to make a pretty penny from one that doesn't look so pretty is an extraordinary accomplishment."

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Not good - story on Yahoo right now about CRH'ng

Scott Travers must either be a millionaire or a moron. Why would anyone in their right mind release those coins into the wild? Unless he really didn't do it and just wanted to start a wild goose chase and see what other morons came out and said they "found" the coins.

-Codes

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep!!!!

S

seger98

So 3 different vendors got these coins, why would anyone believe that they still don't have them? Why would one assume they would be in circulation? :icon_scratch:

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seger98 said:
Why would one assume they would be in circulation?

Because it probably never happened! This guy most likely just wanted to get his name in the newspaper so he could open it up one day and wet himself when he saw his name.

-Codes

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Codes said:
Scott Travers must either be a millionaire or a moron. Why would anyone in their right mind release those coins into the wild? Unless he really didn't do it and just wanted to start a wild goose chase and see what other morons came out and said they "found" the coins.

-Codes
Codes said:
seger98 said:
Why would one assume they would be in circulation?

Because it probably never happened! This guy most likely just wanted to get his name in the newspaper so he could open it up one day and wet himself when he saw his name.

-Codes

Scott is an author and well known in the numismatic community. Releasing rare and or semi-rare coins into the wild is not all that unusual. ANA normally does it in conjunction with their coin shows as a means of drumming up publicity for the show.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a coincidence I found a 1898 Indian Head in fine condition in a pile of change I cleaned out of my truck door pocket last week.
I was about to toss it in my spare change jar and it caught my eye.

Attachments

• 1898 Indian Head-C.jpg
    1898 Indian Head-C.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 224

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still with this article being published in the New York Daily News, word is out now to people to watch their change for these elusive coins. Get 'em while you can I say. :icon_scratch:

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon

As long as people only watch their change and don't start buying it from the bank we're good!!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I saw something about this on TV a couple years ago.....

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMan00001 said:
I think I saw something about this on TV a couple years ago.....

Around here in Chicago in years past every Xmas someone or some people always drop a few gold coins in the Salvation Army collection buckets around town. Nobody knows who it is or why they do it, but it always makes the evening news everytime they find one.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Most people will not take more than a quick glance at their change. This does not hurt us that much guys.

-Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread