bad news

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
well ive been looking at this site for a week or two know and you guys get my hopes up in CRH so i have been planing on going to my bank to buy just one $25 box of pennies. Well my mom thinks it is a wast of time and i won't find anything. So i told her thats kinda why its called COIN ROLL (HUNTING). so she won't take me, and it's really cold in michigan right know and i would walk but not in this weather. So I don't know what to do to convince her but, thursdy im going to my coin dealer to sell um.....1,000-2,000 wheat pennies that i have in a berlap bag. so I'll be at shcool so she will go in the mornig and take them for me. I told her to use the money i get from them to buy as many rolls of wheats as possible. Know i don't understand why she lets me buy 50 rolls of wheats butnot 50 rolls of regular pennies. I think because she thinks with the weats it's a sure thing because there wheats but I have bought $30 in wheats before and found 1 good coin a 1910. so anyway you guys got any idea's pn convincing my mom to take me to the bank?

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how old are you? Just curious?

S

seger98

How about you invite her to sit & look at this form with you, let her see for herself what others are doing & that it keeps you out of trouble!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
twitchmn said:
So I don't know what to do to convince her but, thursdy im going to my coin dealer to sell um.....1,000-2,000 wheat pennies that i have in a berlap bag. so I'll be at shcool so she will go in the mornig and take them for me. I told her to use the money i get from them to buy as many rolls of wheats as possible.

You are going to sell your current wheat pennies and buy rolls of new ones from your dealer? That does not make sense. You will pay more for the ones you buy than you will get for the ones you sell. I doubt that you are going to find key years in the ones you buy from the dealer. Most dealers sift thru and take out the rare ones.

But I am not into penny collecting, so I could be wrong.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Jim4silver is correct little man. Most of the penny collectors here keep most of their wheats. We don't know how old you are but if your mom is having to drive you to the bank you are likely under 16 years old. Most likely you do not have a steady job where you can earn money. With your limmited amount of money it would be best to convice your mom to take you to the bank. You would have more fun finding wheat pennies that have not been sorted through by a dealer. This way you stand a better chance of finding the better dates plus you could use all of the non wheat pennies to buy you next rolls from the bank. I would deffinately stop selling your wheats to dealers only to buy them back at a higher price. That is a NO NO.

I hope this helped. Use the forum to show your mom how this hobbie works.

-Golden Silver

gtlfindings

Jan 11, 2007
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Yeah DO NOT under sell to a dealer,They will see a 14 year old and try to take advantage of your inexperience,If you dont have much money don't get a whole box of pennies Buy maybe $10 woth and maybe 2 rolls of dimes...Also heres an idea...If its a bank you will go to alot tell them you are starting to collect coins as a hobby can they maybe "save you some wheats or coins they find as they open rolls for change...Being 14 and all may help you find their "soft spot" and get started for nearly nothing!!
Gerald

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
gtlfindings said:
Yeah DO NOT under sell to a dealer,They will see a 14 year old and try to take advantage of your inexperience,If you dont have much money don't get a whole box of pennies Buy maybe $10 woth and maybe 2 rolls of dimes...Also heres an idea...If its a bank you will go to alot tell them you are starting to collect coins as a hobby can they maybe "save you some wheats or coins they find as they open rolls for change...Being 14 and all may help you find their "soft spot" and get started for nearly nothing!!
Gerald
thanks for the advice

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
ok i understand about the wheats so you think i should keep them all even though i pulled out all the good stuff like the teens and odds and ends. and if so Why?

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You should keep all your wheaties because even the most common dates are worth more than one cent. As long as you have the space to store them (Roll them up, put them in a box, and put the box in a closet or basement), they're a good investment. Pennies are one of the most common coins collected. Nearly everyone with a coin collection started with cents, and as the popularity grows, so will the demand for them. When the demand goes up, so does the value! :thumbsup: So you should hold on to ALL of your wheats, not just the really old ones.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jack_Mightyheart said:
You should keep all your wheaties because even the most common dates are worth more than one cent. As long as you have the space to store them (Roll them up, put them in a box, and put the box in a closet or basement), they're a good investment. Pennies are one of the most common coins collected. Nearly everyone with a coin collection started with cents, and as the popularity grows, so will the demand for them. When the demand goes up, so does the value! :thumbsup: So you should hold on to ALL of your wheats, not just the really old ones.

Second that idea. Keep all of you wheaties :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
T

twitchmn

Jan 4, 2009
ok i will keep all my wheats and my dad got home and i checked his change i got a silver newfoundland dime really worn down no date but still pretty cool

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
Yeah keep all the wheaties. I only sort pennies right now. Haven't got the funds to go for the silver yet. Only a few more months till the debt is paid off and hello road trip! If you want more info on just penny sorting go to this forum, mainly about pennies although there are some tags for other aspects of CRHing as well. http://realcent.forumco.com/

XX

Jan 11, 2008
If you can't make it to the bank, well then, ask the local convenience store for a few rolls of pennies. Ask the walgreen's, gas station, grocery store, mcdonald's, girl scout cookie sales crew, etc...

Most cashiers wouldn't mind selling you 5 rolls at a crack and that's only ten different places. Then when you get $25 worth of pennies to cash in, ask for a ride to cash them in,

OR,

even better, re-roll them and start swapping them out at the same places you asked for the rolls in the first place. If it's a small mom and pop, you have a good chance of being able to do this on a weekly basis (just make sure you never short them).

Good Luck.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
HOLD all of your Wheats for at least a year. Some people have speculated that with the new Lincoln cents coming out, it wll make a lot of new coin collectors, at least more penny collectors.

If you have that many, you could get a nice little sum off of ebay in a year.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to coinfacts.com and look for the penny.

Educate your mother about US Coins and she will see that there is alot of learning and US History behind each coin.

Plus tell her that May be you can be the lucky one to hit the Holly Grail of Pennys

The 1943 Bronze

Each coins tells about US History

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
The percentage of copper is the same as in many popular bronze alloys. The traditional 5% is tin as was in the older pennies, I believe even into the early wheats. I've been meaning to do some research to see if the Zinc in the alloy would still make it considered bronze.

The 1943 would be nearly impossible to capture. You have a better chance of finding a 1909-S VDB or even a 1st year flying eagle than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread