Had a good day

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got up this morning and hit 12 banks, a few didn't have anything, ended up getting $800 in halfs in hand rolls and loose. Most were other peoples dumps with initialed rolls which was disheartening, the loose yeilded 2x 1964. Then my local PNC had only 2 handrolls and said an elderly gentleman had brought them in yesterday, he needed some money so he rolled some stuff from his change jar. Sounds promising I said to myself, went out and sat in the car and ripped open the first roll, a 1964 right in the middle, then dump out the second roll which had 5 silvers, a 1961 benji which should grade in the MS area, it has absolutely no wear, and 1943 walker, the other 3 consisted of 2 1964 and a 1966. I set them aside, went stright back in and asked for handrolled pennies, quarters and dimes (thinking he may have rolled more old silver) she handed over $280 in pennies, quarters and dimes, but said that these came from an elderly woman who needed Christmas money, I asked about anything else the man might have brought in and she said the halfs were it. I got home went through all the small stuff, landed a silver canadian dime and a silver rosie, got a few wheats, a 60's bermuda penny, a bermuda dime, and the quarters skunked me. Not stella by the way you guys rake in the silver but it was a great day for me, my first benji, and my first walker in the same roll. I also spotted a 2005-D half in the mix so pulled him out too. These were two banks I hit, the halfs I got from them were initialed two different initials one for each bank, another bank says an elderly woman somes in and buys out thier halfs and $200 in $2 bills every monday, so I've got some competition so I got some competition.

Had a blast, want to go again tommorow. but was wondering about how many times you go a week? Is it worthwile to hit them every day, every other day? I have 12 banks right in my area and none of them had problems about giving me coinage except for two which ship halfs away as soon as they get them, so that gives me 10 banks I can hit regularly, but just how regular? Regardless i'm gonna hit that PNC pretty regulr in case pops decides to dump some more silver there :D (no offense to you older fellows, I greatly respenct those who are older than me, and that is most of you fellas, becuase i'm a young whippersnapper at the age of 18 :))

002-4.jpg

006-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!!!!!

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! had a better day then me thats for sure lol congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys, noticed there were two rolls i missed, just checked them a little while ago, one yeilded another 1964 90% and the other yeilded a 2004-P and a 2005-P if I understand correctly, the halfs after 2001 were not meant for circulation?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, thats a lot of silver. Way to go!!

1987 and 2002 - present were not intended for circulation. Mintages are under 3 mil for each mint for those years.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to go only once a week. Don't want to pester the tellers too much.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree once a week to a bank is plenty, more than that and I feel like I am pestering them

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks folks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread