Readers of The Lost Flowing Hair

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to All,

Today search of 11 rolls of halves was poor but it is better than a Skunk.
1 Kennedy Head 1964 P
1 Kennedy Head 1965 P

I am going to specialized in Halves. I respect all of you that do pennies and Nickles,but men that is hard.

What are the chances of finding a FLOWING HAIR HALF CRH?
I think is by level of difficulty 1 been the Kennedy (easy) and 8 been the Flowing Hair.
(hard or super hard)
I was checking on Coinfacts.com and found the following for Halves

8 Flowing Hair 1794-1795 First Halves Ever
7 Draped Bust 1796-1807
6 Capped Bust 1807-1839
5 Seated Liberty 1839-1891
4 Barber 1892-1915
3 Walking Liberty 1916-1947
2 Franklin Head 1948-1963
1 Kennedy Head 1964-Date

So do to the fact that I have a Franklin I am at level 2 in Halves

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say the chance of finding one is almost non-existant. I doubt you'd ever find one in machine rolls because the Flowing Hair halves are slightly larger than the modern half dollars (Walker, Franklin, Kennedy). Because of the discrepancy in size they would likely get rejected by rolling machines. However the chances you find one in a hand roll is possible, especially if some idiot is stupid enough to put it in there not knowing what it is. Another way it would get in a hand roll is if a little kid put it in there. But then some idiot would have to be stupid enough to actually let anyone get close to his/her Flowing Hair half dollar.

-Codes

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Never say never guys. I have seen some amaizing old coins being found on this forum. It can happen but it would be a once in a lifetime find.

-Golden Silver

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth, The chances of finding a flowing hair half are "slim and none and slim left town"

although - I was perusing this site yesterday , and a guy who has been CRHing for 45 years

has found an English silver hammered penny from the time of King Henry II dating to the

12 or 13 century I think. Anything is possible i suppose . Argentium.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
The coin counter and the teller are about the only two forces preventing us from getting a Flowing Hair in a roll (should a poor sap actually cash one in).

Obviously this would stand out to even the most uneducated teller, but so do the Walking Liberties and we get plenty of those.

The better coin counters would reject the coin based on it's dimension, but if the coin was worn down enough to actually make it out of the sorter with the halves, the silver composition would be accepted just like any other half. The cheaper coin counters would accept the Flowing Hair easily.

As for the coin rolling, how many of you have gotten a Irish Punt in your rolls. I've gotten them and I can tell they are in there because they are so much larger than the rest of the halves. You can see the line all the way around the roll. If we can get Irish Punts from Brinks and CWI rolls, we can get Flowing Hair's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread