how do you guys do it? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jan 2009
    118 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: how do you guys do it?

Since I work at a Bank I can even order a box of halves and just buy $50 or $30 per day.

I am also ok with just asking for at most $100-$150 in Halves,

Of course I will not get the returns of 14 halves like many here but I am ok with it.

Ask for less if you are having problems
    2012 Finds
    Kenns40%   5
    Kenns90%   0
    Benns         0
    Walkers       0

us
    Jan 2007
    Texas
    DFX & SE
    21 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Develop a relationship with head tellers and order the coins.
    Open accounts and tell them what you are doing as a condition for opening the account -(no fees!), and have them note that on your account.
    The other conditon is that you are going to dump coins also no fees.
    If they say no- tell them "OK, I'll just walk across the street and let them have my business".
    You will never be turned down if you make a small deposit and ask for coins at that point - they will read the note on your account and oblige.
    Donuts & candy also go a long way.
    You should also ask if they have an excess of any denomination they would like to sell.
    Most tellers hate halves and Ikes because they have to count them every day and can't get rid of them- do them a favor.
    Pinpoint twice, dig once!

us
    Nov 2008
    13 times

Mistergee is 100% correct. I guess it is a PA thingy. I've been doing mini-road trips the last week or so with the same results.......ask for a box of nickels, dimes, or pennies and you get a look worse than if you had asked the tellers to go out to your car and have sex. You want what? Who..what..eh,,er,ah, ,a WHOLE box? We cant give you THAT many....Do you have an account here Dont even say the word bag. A bag of what....you want what ? A bag of nickels.......er..... a nickel bag....Gee....We dont any.. I'm thankful that at 1 out of 4-5 banks the tellers are nice.

us
    Jan 2008
    Pennsylvania
    36 times

50centman..i don't know what you mean by dues....around here we help each other...whether we know each other or not..of course it is a volunteer thing so if you don't want to divulge your "hard earned secrets" then by all means keep them to yourself..as far as seeing what works, i've been in many many banks, have spoken to many many tellers, and do know quite a few by name. it just seemed to me that people are walking into random banks on road trips and are getting loads of coin no problem. here i have more banks than you can shake a stick at and i can't even scrounge out a measly box of pennies. this seemed strange to me so i asked the question.....i do agree about it being random....some days you go and they have nothing and other days they have rolls of silver

Hard earned secrets...time to pay dues... You guys are crazy. This isn't a competition, we are all doing the same thing. Why can't people ask and get help when it is needed? Military preaches selfless-service and loyalty and there are some on here that bring the above mentioned garbage. Ridiculous.

Mistergee, the banks I've been to recently and asked for boxes of dimes and pennies tell me that I need to order them ahead of time. As for your tellers, I haven't yet been asked if I have an account. I usually go in and say how many (denominations) can I get? They ask how much I want and I reply as much as you're willing to give me? I can usually get a hodge-podged box of hand rolled dimes at most of my bank stops. Hope that helps and if worst comes to worst, open a side account at a bank chain in your area with the minimum balance required. Then you won't have the account question. Remember persistence!

thanks for the help Dan...and it is precisely that selfless-service and loyalty that makes t-net the great place that it is
    on the matter of accounts....they weren't asking if i had an account....they were asking if i had a "business" account.... as if to say thier coins are only for the local businesses...like i have no reason to ask for large amounts of coin because i don't own a business....and they always look at me strange and ask "what are you going to do with them?" or "what are you doing ...playing cards?"...like i need a reason....once i got fed up and just said " i work for the schools and we need them for our penny bazaar"...all of a sudden they had some to give me
    You have to develop a relationship with a teller or tellers at your banks. Most of the people on this forum have been doing this for a while and their tellers know them by name. Don't expect to read stories on here about someone picking up 10 boxes of halves and then be able to walk into any bank and do it yourself.
    i do have a relationship with many tellers and i have several accounts with dfferent banks...as i stated my wife's best friend is the manager at the bank i got the pennies from and her sister (also a good friend) was behind me in line...another bank ...my best friends wife is the business teller and even she has to scrounge up coin for me....you would think a big city bank would keep loads of coin on hand for all the businesses in the area...i just can't figure it out....as far as halfs...alot of banks don't carry them as they are not used much so i never expect to find any more than a box at any bank....i know if i want more i have to order.....but you would think the other denominations would be readily available

I live literally 2 block from a (for lack of better terms) hub bank. They always have tons of boxes on hand. I have got something like 15 dime boxes in 3 days and they didn't say anything negative. Other banks that I go to have told me in the past that they are running low and can only give me X amount of boxes.
    i have run across these hub banks...they supply the other branches in the area....my problem is i'm never in the same place and most of the time the hub banks and the banks i have accounts at are not close by....so if i want to search during my lunch i have to go with whatever banks are in close proximity....you would think that with 6 or 7 banks in an area one would have a box of pennies,dimes, or nickles
    If they don't have enough rolls or boxes to give you any you could see if they are willing to sell you filled bags off their counting machines
    thats another thing...there is at least one bank with a counter out of every 5 banks or so.....not one i have asked will sell bags off thier counter....they all say " we send them out to be counted".....no one else seems to have this problem
    Since I work at a Bank I can even order a box of halves and just buy $50 or $30 per day.

I am also ok with just asking for at most $100-$150 in Halves,
    i actually have a bank around my home who orders a box and lets me do the same thing...as soon as i take thier last they have another on order....the funny thing is i don't have an account there and they don't have anyone else who asks for them

I usually do smaller pickups at several banks instead of asking for boxes at one.
    that is what i have resorted to lately...$25 here $50 there...i just would like to pick up a box of something ,go through it and dump it at lunch and pick up another for something to do that evening

Open accounts and tell them what you are doing as a condition for opening the account -(no fees!), and have them note that on your account.
    The other conditon is that you are going to dump coins also no fees.
    If they say no- tell them "OK, I'll just walk across the street and let them have my business".
    that is a good idea Tim on noting the account....but as far as going across the street....i don't think they would care as all your doing is circulating coins....thier not making a profit unless there are fees
    BTW everyone mentions gifting the tellers...which i do for the ones i live near and have accounts with....the others wouldn't remember me as there are so many banks its at least a month before i get around to them again and i usually wind up with someone else....that plus i wouldn't remember who belonged to what bank after a month or so and 50 banks later

Mistergee is 100% correct. I guess it is a PA thingy. I've been doing mini-road trips the last week or so with the same results.......ask for a box of nickels, dimes, or pennies and you get a look worse than if you had asked the tellers to go out to your car and have sex. You want what? Who..what..eh,,er,ah, ,a WHOLE box? We cant give you THAT many....Do you have an account here Dont even say the word bag. A bag of what....you want what ? A bag of nickels.......er..... a nickel bag....Gee....We dont any.. I'm thankful that at 1 out of 4-5 banks the tellers are nice.
    thank you Terry...this is exactly what i was looking for...you described my dilemma to a tee....i was beginning to think it was me ....by reading everyone elses posts and the ammount of coins they pull from road trips going from small town to small town...you would think it would be a breeze to get all you want from the 5th largest city in the country....do you guys in NY or SF have the same problem?....is it a big city thing or like Terry states "its a PA thingy"

thanks for the replies guys (and gals)

us
    Sep 2008
    274 times

Mistergee.....

I am not living in PA but every time I visit Philly, I get a box or two of pennies to go through. Most time I was asked if I had an account. Branches in the downtown area usually do not carry too many boxes by my experience. Even though the FRB is right down the street.

Mar 2007
    wisconsin

Hey Kats and Kittens..

The best thing that I think works is....
    "Please and Thank you"
    stand up straight
    dress appropriately
    have the money at hand.

after the transaction....

go to the car and drool till it is all done.

us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    4 times

MG

If your wife friend is a manager than talk to her about it and seek her advice.

In my experience most banks wont let go of a box unless you ha an account or business. And only if you put it on order.

I rarely find boxes of coin readily available but I always ask.

I have accounts with just about every bank and credit union in town. and have STANDING ORDERS with several banks.

Never complain about the orders if they don't arrive or if they forget to place them, just smile and say I will be back next week and thanks for all your help. And never return them to the bank you buy from.

Oh and don't forget to flirt. (important) But only if you know how too.

Mojo

CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links