Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
I do not undersand what is an Ike Dollar.

Are all the Eisenhover Dollars Ike Dollars?

What is a Blue Ike or Type I Ike

What is the difference from Ike and Eisenhover Dollar

Thanks for Responding

Eisenhowers were made from 1971-1978. From 1971-1974 they all had an eagle reverse. Then in 1976, they had the Liberty bell on the reverse. The "types" you are thinking of are on the bicentennial Ikes. They can be distinguished by looking at the reverse. They are type 1 if the design is in low relief, with bold lettering. The type 2 has a sharp design, with delicate lettering on the reverse. See of this helps. Sometimes you need two different ones side-by-side to really notice the differences.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There are also Types I, II, and III of the 1972's. But yes, an Ike is the same as an Eisenhower dollar, just a shorter name coming from Eisenhower's nickname (Ike).

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
This is way before my time but from what I remembered bout eisenhower when he was either running for president or at the time he was president there were the (i like Ike) button people where on their shirts...something like that.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
also the ike's are the last of the large type dollars. you know you got a dollar in your pocket when you carry one of those around, today's dollar coins are mistaken many times for quarters

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
silvercop said:
also the ike's are the last of the large type dollars. you know you got a dollar in your pocket when you carry one of those around, today's dollar coins are mistaken many times for quarters
Yes, and many to this day call the Ike a "silver dollar". I even responded to a local ad recently in which someone had "silver" dollars for sale, $5 ea. Turns out they were clad Ikes!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMC rulz said:
silvercop said:
Yes, and many to this day call the Ike a "silver dollar". I even responded to a local ad recently in which someone had "silver" dollars for sale, $5 ea. Turns out they were clad Ikes!

LOL

XX

Jan 11, 2008
OP,

please don't take this personal, but I'm going to suggest you familiarize yourself with the website

www.google.com

It's an extremely useful research tool. It's works best if you just type in keywords, but you can type in full questions and still get plenty of meaningful results.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most difficult), I would give your question a difficulty rating of 1 with respect to finding an answer via Google and it should of only taken about 5 minutes to find a detailed answer.

Again, don't take it personal. I'm assuming that you are new to the internet and I'm just trying to expose you to a powerful research tool that is very easy to use.

Just to help you get started, here is a link I found listing a bunch of ebay guides with lots of useful info on Eisenhower dollars including what they are and how to identify the more valuable ones.

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/_Eisenhower-1971-78_W0QQucatZ11981QQuqtZg

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Anybody know who xx is? I thought if a novice asks a question it is generally accepted here in this forum. XX notice how everyone else responded to this gentleman's question with no problem what so ever? I want to introduce you to the word stupid...you can find it in the dictionary between S%!# and Syphilis...look it up you might just find your picture. This is a great forum where people who are interested in coins come to find out more lets not screw it up.

-Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
mistergee said:
blue ike? maybe they are talking about the toning some coins get? :icon_scratch: i have a few of those

All of the silver "Ike" coins were minted at the San Francisco Mint in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976. These coins were either uncirculated or proof. Uncirculated coins came in cellophane with a blue plastic token in a blue envelope. Proof issues came in a proof set-like plastic case in a fancy brown wood colored box with a gold seal on back. The uncirculated coins are referred to as 'Blue Ikes' and the proofs as 'Brown Ikes'. Coins minted in 1975 and 1976 for the Bicentennial come with the quarter and the half dollar of that year. The uncirculated coins were sold by the Mint for three dollars; the proof version for ten dollars. Two varieties of the dollar were produced in 1976 and can be distinguished by the thickness of the lettering. [ ? ]

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread