How many of you guys on the east coast have found a 1964 d half?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Upvote 0

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not on the east coast but I have found one 1964D Kennedy Halve.

is the east coast SA, LA?????????

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
No worries Darth. What does SA, LA? I mean more East of the Mississippi.

-Golden Silver

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Out of the 30 or so 1964's i have found none have been D's. I am in NY

The lucky thing with me if I need stuff like that to complete a set I just trade heads up with my dealer.

Jason

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Yeah I was just wondering if I was crazy or if others are having a similar problem. I mean am I missing something or is it one of those things where there is no mint mark actually on the coin like the Franklin proofs. Just curious.

-Golden Silver

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've seen a few - stopped tracking them after I got a BU one for my book. Hadn't noticed how tough they were after that. I'll post when my next one appears

Maine_Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is pretty cool to see that a few of you guys haven't found any... Well here in Chicago, the few halfs that I managed to get - I have found both 64's + 64d's. ;D

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I'm in Michigan and have found lot's but a smaller ratio than the Plain (Phil.) Probably a 1 for every 10 around here.

Mojo

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Late to convo and ignore me if you already know this, but for those who don't the mintmark for the 64 half dollar is on the reverse side beneath the left claw and above the word "HALF." It is not located on the front. Out of 9 64's I have 8 that are minted in Denver.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've got about a 50/50 split between P and D mint marks. The D being small and on the reverse of the coin make them a little harder to spot but their out there.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
DANDOW, I'llbe wow I have been doing this for about a year and did not know that. I will have to go and check my 64's. I feel like an idiot for now knowing. Why would they put it there?

-Golden Silver

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
I dunno!!!! I didn't know either but bought the Red Book today and was looking through it as I read that post...I thought to myself, I haven't seen any either in my collection but saw it in the book and went upstairs to check my collection.

If you guys don't have the Red Book I'd recommend it, especially for error coins.

Good luck guys!

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
amaizing I might have completed my book I will get back to you all.

-Golden Silver

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:
Late to convo and ignore me if you already know this, but for those who don't the mintmark for the 64 half dollar is on the reverse side beneath the left claw and above the word "HALF." It is not located on the front. Out of 9 64's I have 8 that are minted in Denver.

All mintmarks for coins older than 1965 were on the reverse (except lincoln pennies) from what I understand.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to me too. I live in the east coast and I did not know the D mintmark was on the reverse until I accumulated about 25 pieces of 64 and more than a month CRH passed by. Then I went back to check again, 2 of 25 were 64-D. So you should have one or two out of your bunch of 30.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread