7,500 dimes, a few halves, and a suprise

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Had to spend some of the day running around, so I decided to stop at a few banks for halves, dimes, and whatever I may find. Wound up with $32 in clad halves and 3 boxes of dimes. On my way home, I had to stop at the grocery store, and while looking for a basket, I noticed a coinstar machine. I have checked many of these with no success, so when I looked in the reject tray, my eyes popped out and my heart fluttered. The tray was full! 43 quarters, 9 dimes, 20 nickles, and 15 pennies. None was old, but its still free money! Maybe I should toss it into my monthly MD finds for my next meeting...nah.

Once home, and after chores and dinner, I opened up the first box. About 605 of the coins were 2008p - nice n shiny. But I did manage one 1964 silver!

On the second box, I decided to do an experiment. I grabbed my handy digital scale, and weighed every roll, and sorted them by weight. I started with the lightest, and saved the heaviest for last. 49 rolls in, no silver, but on that last heavy roll a 1946 rolled out to greet me.

Tried weighing the third box as well, but was surprised to see a great variation in weight. up to 9/10ths of a gram difference between the lightest and heaviest. Hoping there was a ton of silver, I started light, and worked heavy. I noticed that instead of one silver in the entire box, that the heavier the roll, the more new 2008 the roll contained. This box was just like the first box - mostly new. But I did enjoy my attempt to CRH scientifically, and will still do so. Sure is fun :)

2 silver dimes and free change today, 3000 halves to hunt tomorrow, oh joy!
Happy huntin,
Anthony

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some kinda Mythbusters way of checking rolls, great job on the silver!!! :thumbsup:

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting way to check out the rolls. Congratulations on the silver.

S

seger98

Nice score in the bargin bin! I trired weighing the rolls on halves, but it didn't work that well for me!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Hello,

On the second box, I decided to do an experiment. I grabbed my handy digital scale, and weighed every roll, and sorted them by weight. I started with the lightest, and saved the heaviest for last. 49 rolls in, no silver, but on that last heavy roll a 1946 rolled out to greet me.

I guess what they say is correct. "Great minds think similar". I'm using this approach with all my Half rolls. If the roll weighs more than 226.0g, there must be a 90% er inside the roll. A clad roll would weigh between 224.3 to 225.8g. This will not help me to locate 40% ers. But I will be guaranted that I won't miss a 90% er. Edge search is not 100% sure. I found my fist 90% er in somebody's dump. That coin was covered with black crap and the edge was dark and the date was barely visible. I don't want me to make the same mistake when I scale up to large volume. I still go back to open every roll to after the 40% ers.

Plus you just double the fun of CRH by weighing rolls to cherrypick the 90% ers and then opening all them up for other stuff!!

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
The only downside to weighing is that a worn old silver will weigh less. I plan to open every roll, but for me, this just adds more fun :).

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the force to look through the roll with out even oppening it. :evil7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality control at the mint is dismal. :-\
Modern halves are one coin that you probably can't rely on when weighing. Pull one roll randomly from a box and look at the coins thickness. I have seen some that are half the thickness of others and that affects the weight. Since all coins now do not have silver the mint probably doesn't care.

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I have wondered before if scanning the roll or box with a metal detector would work. My detector is a cheapy but some of the nicer ones should be able to discriminate the silver.

I would still open all of them though, for the misc. goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread