HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question...this may sound kinda noobish but here it goes. If I use the same kind of bank one for pickup and another 5 miles away for dump, will I eventually come across my own dumps in my pickup bank? Hopefully this is understandable, I don't know any other way to word it. Thanks. Oh and BTW, I dump in a coin machine at my dump bank if that helps. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
If you are using the same bank but different branch more than likely you will see your dumps unless the branches happen to be in different regions of the banks structure. For example in California Wells Fargo has multiple regions and sometimes different regions use different coin handling facilities. So it is possible that if you use branches that report to two different regions you could avoid your dumps for much longer.

Is this your question?

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Even when I find my dumps more often than not there is silver in the box.

65GT350

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its highly likely that you will see your dumps if the same coin company that picks up the coin machine's bags also rolls the coins for your bank. Of course there is no true way of knowing if you're getting your own dumps unless you mark your coins. So get out there and mark all your dumps with a big fat black marker right in the middle of Kennedy's face and if you get them back, then you know you're getting your dumps back.

-Codes

P.S. That last statement was meant to be sarcastic. I don't mark my coins but I assume you're an adult and can make decisions on your own. I don't recommend marking coins, but its a surefire way to know if you're getting your dumps.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Codes I was about to rip you a knew one until I found out you were joking. DONT MARK COINS.

-Golden Silver

OP
OP
HolyDiver

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Codes said:
Its highly likely that you will see your dumps if the same coin company that picks up the coin machine's bags also rolls the coins for your bank. Of course there is no true way of knowing if you're getting your own dumps unless you mark your coins. So get out there and mark all your dumps with a big fat black marker right in the middle of Kennedy's face and if you get them back, then you know you're getting your dumps back.

-Codes

P.S. That last statement was meant to be sarcastic. I don't mark my coins but I assume you're an adult and can make decisions on your own. I don't recommend marking coins, but its a surefire way to know if you're getting your dumps.

Haha, not a bad idea but you both answered my question and I thank you. The thing I hate about using the same branch is that the tellers are really nice both at my dump/pickup so that's why I use them. Plus, since I am a member at my dump bank, I get free use of the coin machine. ;D Anyway, thanks a bunch to both of you. :hello2:

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
to give you another perspective on things, even if you use another bank you will still probably get your dumps back. Atleast in my area the coin processing facility (CWI) services all the banks, so no matter what one I dump at eventually my dumps are mixed in with all the other coins. You also have to take that into account(except for halves) they reroll Billions of coins a day. I have hit the pennies really really hard this past month and I am still not getting skunks and probably never will. For ever box I get the % in that box that is my dumps may be .003%. so there is 99.997% not my dumps. I hope this helps. Basically dont change dumps bank because you are afraid of getting your dumps back, unless you know that another bank in town uses a different coin processing company. Its easy to tell, if all the banks get CWI boxes, they all have the same source...

Jason

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Jason,

Are you sure about CWI doing all the banks? From what I understand about CWI is that sometimes they will place their equipment and provide services inside of the armored courier facility and provide a service so it would be possible to contain the dumps in a single courier. Most areas will have at least two FRB coin handling facilities. There was a list a while back showing the facilities and what courier ran them but I don't have the search feature.

65GT350

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
65gt350 said:
Jason,

Are you sure about CWI doing all the banks? From what I understand about CWI is that sometimes they will place their equipment and provide services inside of the armored courier facility and provide a service so it would be possible to contain the dumps in a single courier. Most areas will have at least two FRB coin handling facilities. There was a list a while back showing the facilities and what courier ran them but I don't have the search feature.

65GT350

I am pretty sure. The only reason why I say in my area it is like that becuase I have bought bags of coins from 6 different banks, all of them were filled out and ready to be sent back and they all were going to the same place. Also I have purchased boxes from at least 9 different banks and they all are stamped CWI the date and Inspected by #5163. So I am assuming that they are all from the same place. Also most people I have heard that get coins from brinks come in clear plastic, even my bank that get there coins from brinks courier still come in CWI boxes. I think the facility has a pretty tight knot on this area and by area I mean a 100mile radius. I could be wrong but they ar all stamped the same, and they all seem to go to the same place (Albany coin processing facility).
Jason

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
In my area Brinks covers a huge area. Any bank here that uses Brinks will have their coins going to the same facility. It cannot really be avoided. If the area has enough banks, the supply of coins coming in should hopefully bring you some keepers.

One positive thing about new CRHers in your area is that if they dump in a bank that has a 1000 bag machine that has not been emptied in a while, it will bring in a load of coins that may be good.

Most banks here will not let you buy from the machine, so those coins don't get into boxes until the bag fills up. Also, Brinks services many Coinstar machines. I feel alot of keepers come from Coinstar boxes being emptied and re rolled. Their boxes hold 500 pounds worth of coins, then they send an electronic signal saying they need to be emptied. There was a cool show on discovery a few months ago that talked about Coinstar machines.

Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
HolyDiver said:
Codes said:

-Codes

Haha, not a bad idea but you both answered my question and I thank you. The thing I hate about using the same branch is that the tellers are really nice both at my dump/pickup so that's why I use them. Plus, since I am a member at my dump bank, I get free use of the coin machine. ;D Anyway, thanks a bunch to both of you. :hello2:

I used to mark my halves. But ONLY the 1989 coins. Why 1989? I picked a year and that was it. I figure that if I get a box and it has 14 1989s in it and 4 are marked, I know the ratio of what are my opld dumps just as well as if I were marking all the coins. And I don't damage many coins that way (14 in a box!)

But I found that I guess I don't do this enough. After 16 months, I have never gotten a SINGLE ONE of my own marked coins back. Not one. So I quit doing it lately. I'm sure I'm getting soemone ELSE'S dumps, but I'm not getting my own.

My old mark, by the way, was a red line that started at Kenedy's eyes and went backwards through his head. Just easy to do. ANyone ever see one of my marks? And it would ONLY be on a 1989 if it is mine.

I have seen MANY marks fromt eh same guy. They say JM on the front in black marker. He puts the J on one side of Kennedy and the M on the other. He must be in the Phoenix area too. I get a lot of his marked coins. But none of my own.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you will eventually get them back but that doesn't mean there will not be silver mixed in. Good luck and keep em coming......

BTW - Mark all the halves dated 1975......lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread